What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

So...more diet stuff. Sorry, it's become my life (eventually I'll have it all worked out and I'll stop thinking about it).
I can eat some starchy carbs, right, just very limited amounts per meal/day, because starchy carbs = high Glycemic Load (how much/high blood sugar may spike).  According to the 'net (and we all know the 'net is never wrong), a baked russet potato would/could have a higher GL than ... a doughnut (not that I care, I almost never ate potatoes anyway). Thus diet is now high veggies/high fiber and low starch and sugar carb foods (I learned too much fruit isn't great...). "Starchy beans" tho, are supposedly good or at least a lot better so that would be a filler most would use.  My personal problem:  I hate starchy beans. Hence one reason why I don't like/don't eat typical burritos, chilis, etc.

Hearty soups and casseroles - 99% of recipes call for one or more of the following (seemingly making up about 90% of the meal):
--lots of potatoes
--lots of beans
--tons of white/egg pasta
--lots of rice (often white rice)
--lots of meat/sausage/bacon etc. (I want min. protein and low-med. fat, at least in shorter term)
 :getlost: 

So...hm.  Use lean hamburger or white chicken (and less of it) vs. other meats.  Use mushrooms and eggplant (I love eggplant) instead of beans. Try brown rice (not fond of that either but...).

On the bright side, I treated myself to a pizza - eggplant, sausage (they never put tons of it on anyway), artichoke hearts, tomato.  Ate one piece. Scraped the topping off a 2nd piece (too much "white bread") and put it on whole grain bread.  90 minutes later, blood sugar was still "reasonable."  Cool.  I can still eat pizza (just can't have meat-junk pizzas...). Huzzah!

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Went on a 15 minute hike with my son, up to the nearby Stave Church. My (soon-to-be) 2 year old son loves to yell "KIRKE!" (church) whenever he sees one, and can stare at them for minutes.

exterior.jpg

Fun fact: The stave church is a reconstruction, after previously being burnt to the grown by the infamous Varg Vikernes.

For the curious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stave_church

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantoft_Stave_Church

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 5

I'm a few days into a juice cleanse. I've been feeling lousy the last couple months and doing a bad job avoiding bread and stuff on my intolerance list. So I decided to reset a bit. Right now its protein shake for breakfast, juice or smoothie for lunch, and then a regular solid dinner. 

Day 1 was miserable.

Day 2 and 3, I was tired.

Today is day 4 and I just had a fantastic 45 mile bike ride. I felt very good throughout. So hopefully I can remember that feeling when I start craving break again in a week. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I'm a few days into a juice cleanse.

If it ain't 8+ glasses of lemon juice/water+ cayenne pepper, it ain't a real cleanse.  :biggrin:

I rarely ate bread per se - my goliath is white rice. Y'know, (mostly) meat and (cabbage/bok choy other) veggie stir fries over a mound of plated rice. Now I'm not supposed to eat white rice (at least not much of it). 3 slices of whole grain bread a day. 1/2 sandwich or with a tiny bit of jam or put my veggie mixes on it. Sigh.  :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You Californians are weird.

• Thanks 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

"Starchy beans" tho, are supposedly good or at least a lot better so that would be a filler most would use.  My personal problem:  I hate starchy beans. Hence one reason why I don't like/don't eat typical burritos, chilis, etc.

Beans are nice insofar as they have complex carbohdydrates and a lot of protein. They're a good substitute for meat, but they're generally not low carb.

6 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

If it ain't 8+ glasses of lemon juice/water+ cayenne pepper, it ain't a real cleanse.  :biggrin:

I rarely ate bread per se - my goliath is white rice. Y'know, (mostly) meat and (cabbage/bok choy other) veggie stir fries over a mound of plated rice. Now I'm not supposed to eat white rice (at least not much of it). 3 slices of whole grain bread a day. 1/2 sandwich or with a tiny bit of jam or put my veggie mixes on it. Sigh.  :lol:

I used to consume a lot more carbs than I do these days. Nowadays I prepare dinner with a kitchen scale. 50 grams of whole grain bread, a hundred grams of protein (usually some lean ham) and whatever fresh vegetables I have at hand and pickles if I have none. :)

The idea of having twice as much ham (or any other sort of cold cut or sausage) than bread in my sandwiches was ludicrous at first. It gets easier... in time. As will having less rice. *nods sagely*

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

You Californians are weird.

as a non-native, am tending to agree. placebo effect and benefits o' a plan may produce results for any number o' indulgences o' quackery,  but am always surprised how quickly noteworthy numbers o' californians latch onto the weirdest fads. granola moms and fixation on celebrity endorsements? no idea what is the root causes.

'course pretty much every culture and subculture got weirdness. any number o' rhino and tiger species are facing extinction in part 'cause o' weird "medical" beliefs not attributable to californians.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Happy Womens Day for yesterday :thumbsup: 

This is always a good time to reflect personally on  oneself and ask if we are doing everything reasonably possible and logical to support and enable women in our lives 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

This is always a good time to reflect personally on  oneself and ask if we are doing everything reasonably possible and logical to support and enable women in our lives 

Women's Day is the 9th of August in South Africa? 

Belated happy Women's Day

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

10 hours ago, BruceVC said:

True. I shall become a bra salesman!

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

19 hours ago, Malcador said:

True. I shall become a bra salesman!

I'll take 5! 😛

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Have the week off work, sucks when everyone is home as I can't vacuum! Gah.  The war on dust continues

am such a nerd

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 hours ago, Skazz said:

eCl0ujF.jpg

Sadly, the family will complain if I yell lines from Dawn of War while cleaning.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

Sadly, the family will complain if I yell lines from Dawn of War while cleaning.

🤣

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I just realized in my entire house there are only two pictures on the wall. I repainted a few years ago and only put two back up. I don't think that was a conscious choice. Maybe an unconscious one. One is this:

u-g-P3RMAG0.jpg?w=338&h=450

I love that pic. The other is a picture of Tommy & I at a Redbirds game Bark at the Park night. 

This place is very.... plain. Maybe that's why I'm feeling so down lately. Plus I've laet this place maybe six times since March. Maybe it's just cabin fever. Need to visit art.com and cheer this place up a bit!

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Leftover tomato/hamburg. veggie sauce left. Cut up eggplant, cook in pan a bit, put that chunky sauce on both sides, flip it around a bit, put cheese on top, flip it some more.   Yummy, but washing the pan was a reminder why I don't apply cheese in most cooking processes. Not just the pan/sink/drain mess but it ruins/wastes any dish scrubber/sponge. :getlost:

Just keeping on keeping on.  Day to day.  A lot of minor home improvement/rearrangement or replacement of lots of "things" lately, from kitchen stuff to tables to shelves to chairs. So much we have is 15-20 years old and it's time to throw out and get new and better suited to current needs. Except mother's Pyrex (glass) bakeware/bread pans.  Pyrex seems to be less quality (or less quality control at any rate) every decade (manual can openers are another thing like that). Never getting rid of those mom originals (40+ years old/super heavy use and still fine).

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 12:32 AM, Azdeus said:

🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Leftover tomato/hamburg. veggie sauce left. Cut up eggplant, cook in pan a bit, put that chunky sauce on both sides, flip it around a bit, put cheese on top, flip it some more.   Yummy, but washing the pan was a reminder why I don't apply cheese in most cooking processes. Not just the pan/sink/drain mess but it ruins/wastes any dish scrubber/sponge. :getlost:

Just keeping on keeping on.  Day to day.  A lot of minor home improvement/rearrangement or replacement of lots of "things" lately, from kitchen stuff to tables to shelves to chairs. So much we have is 15-20 years old and it's time to throw out and get new and better suited to current needs. Except mother's Pyrex (glass) bakeware/bread pans.  Pyrex seems to be less quality (or less quality control at any rate) every decade (manual can openers are another thing like that). Never getting rid of those mom originals (40+ years old/super heavy use and still fine).

when buying pyrex at garage sales, look for capitalization. borosilicate PYREX is not same as soda-lime pyrex. unfortunately, is some post 1950s corelle glassware with the PYREX name which nevertheless uses soda-lime, albeit less likely.

iu6a9wex5ot4inx5uwze.jpg

there is a european company which is still making PYREX with borosilicate. if you are serious 'bout getting the good stuff and don't wanna do ghoulish and look for obituaries o' old folks in hopes o' making a score at an estate sale, you could look for the european product, but we ain't never bothered to see if they ship to US.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

This is sort of funny. I did a favor for one of the State Reps on the ENR committee and he sent me a thank you e-mail inviting me to lunch next time I'm in Nashville. Well, obviously that ain't happening because we are not travelling and he's retiring from the state house when his term is up in December. I busted his chops a little saying typical politician, offer a free lunch know you'll never have to pay it! He's a good guy. 

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Time to toss some more magazines and old notebooks and other paper-y things, make room on shelves!

...giant C+ or C++ or something textbook, outta here! (other things too)
...no, can't toss that. Or that. Or that. 
...dangit.

game-manuals-01.jpg

BYTE-081985.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Time to toss some more magazines and old notebooks and other paper-y things, make room on shelves!

...giant C+ or C++ or something textbook, outta here! (other things too)
...no, can't toss that. Or that. Or that. 
...dangit.

Majesty and Amiga in one picture? Is this Skazz heaven?

• Haha 1