What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

We should make an Obsidian play by post game!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 7/23/2020 at 10:52 PM, Malcador said:

American healthcare is so weird from the outside, some times.

The simple version is that due to monopolies and employer mandated insurance hospitals inflate their bills. I've literally met at least 3 people that have their bill reduced from thousands to hundreds of dollars once the insurance wouldn't pay.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

8 hours ago, Orogun01 said:

The simple version is that due to monopolies and employer mandated insurance hospitals inflate their bills. I've literally met at least 3 people that have their bill reduced from thousands to hundreds of dollars once the insurance wouldn't pay.

The sad part there is that you know 3 people whose insurance refused to pay for their care. We all pay a bunch of money to insurance companies hoping they will cover our medical bills when it is in their best interest to cover as little as possible. Then we hope the hospital will cut us a deal if the insurance refuses to pay. It's a stupid system.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

The sad part there is that you know 3 people whose insurance refused to pay for their care. We all pay a bunch of money to insurance companies hoping they will cover our medical bills when it is in their best interest to cover as little as possible. Then we hope the hospital will cut us a deal if the insurance refuses to pay. It's a stupid system.

That's every insurance really. I agree it's a bad system, but I don't see how government regulation will fix it, best thing is to have everyone competing that way we get the lowest rates with the widest coverage.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

1 hour ago, Orogun01 said:

That's every insurance really. I agree it's a bad system, but I don't see how government regulation will fix it, best thing is to have everyone competing that way we get the lowest rates with the widest coverage.

There are a number of countries with better models. We don't compare well with others: https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2015/oct/us-health-care-global-perspective

Right now you have a few mega-insurance companies running the show. There isn't much competition when they all are making a tremendous profit at the expense of their customers. There is also very little choice. Most people are at the mercy of their employer, and the employer is going to choose the best deal for their bottom line, not for their employees.

I say tear it all down.

24 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

There are a number of countries with better models. We don't compare well with others: https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2015/oct/us-health-care-global-perspective

Right now you have a few mega-insurance companies running the show. There isn't much competition when they all are making a tremendous profit at the expense of their customers. There is also very little choice. Most people are at the mercy of their employer, and the employer is going to choose the best deal for their bottom line, not for their employees.

I say tear it all down.

I agree that opening up the medical field to competition would be good but there's nothing in that article that I can stand behind. Firstly, comparing an bunch of countries that are the size of one of our states to the entire US is always going to be eschewed. Secondly, the article conveniently neglects to point out medicinal patents that are developed by the US through research grants, they don't break down the spending and jump to the face value conclusion that it's because we use expensive machines. Thirdly, more than one instance of advocating for social services that have nothing to do with medical care.

village_idiot.gif

I've been more or less done with work for 2 hours now. Now it's just waiting and doing a job that a pen and paper could've managed just aswell. *Sigh*

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

You know you're not in the best of places when all the shiny new PC upgrades and such arrive and you're not actually uber-excited to get started on things.

Of course, then in the process realising that of course, all the latest graphics cards are purely HDMI sockets, and my fancy widescreen monitor was all pre-HDMI connectors....

• Sad 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Oof, that sucks =/

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Realized our sprint planning sessions should be a human rights violation.  30 issues to review and we spend 5 minutes per issue..

giphy.gif

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It seems our shift to a virtual office will not be as permanent as we had been led to believe. At some point next year we are going to be assigned office space in one of two facilities. But they are giving us a choice on which we would prefer. One is in Memphis the other is in Dyersburg. Neither is particularly desirable for me but if I have to choose between the two it’s a no brainer. I’ll take Dyersburg over Memphis every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Who needs to deal with that traffic.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Its my birthday today but the reality of the virus, the closure of certain venues and the fact alcohol has been ridiculously and illogically  banned again in SA means my realistic choices to celebrate have been curtailed ....yet I have been able to plan a good week which includes

• A lunch on Saturday on an open area near the sea at an excellent seafood restaurant, this will be with my Cpt family. My stepmom has kindly offered to pay which translates to " its a good time to order anything you love eating but its normally a little expensive to normally justify paying for yourself " .....I can see meals like Lobster Thermidor , Abalone and imported whole  Japanese crab in my future 🥂 https://www.harbourhouse.co.za/menus/
  • Then Sunday  I have reconnected with a lady friend and we meeting for early dinner to catchup
  • Today I have  given myself the day off work and I will be gaming the whole day and will  order "birthday celebration"  meals for lunch and dinner 

8)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday.png

😄

Grats!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday.png

😄

Grats!

This made me laugh :grin:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Happy Birthday @BruceVC! hope it's a good one!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Happy Birthday Bruce. 

This thread's reminding me of

Edited by Malcador
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Why did SA ban alcohol?

I wouldn't be surprised if the minister of health is stockpiling it for rectal infusions to combat the virus.

On another note, done with everything at work that I can do, now it's time to wait for 6 hours.

• Haha 1

So, I think i told you guys two of my coworkers were genuine Environmental Scientists. Very smart, and very young. This is their "foot in the door" job to get experience before going on to earn big money elsewhere. The are both good guys but would fit right in on Big Bang Theory. Nearly everything they say is an inside joke I usually didn't get. Well, now I finally got one of them.  Whenever they had a tedious or even meaningless task they wanted you to do they would say "another settlement needs your help".

NOW I know what that means! :lol: 

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

I spent last evening and a few hours this day helping a friend dismantle an... awning? I think it'd be called, at their home so they can build a proper entrance, the awning was built by the previous owners, and they were really, really, really afraid of that thing falling down. About 5 torx skrews of varying length every foot. 6 torx screws in each angle iron, and it went on and on. The battery for the screwdriver had to be charged three times... Good stuff.