What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

American healthcare is so weird from the outside, some times.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Met my niece's second daughter for the first time. She was born right after the shutdown and I'm pretty sure I had covid at the time (though I showed no symptoms) so I stayed away for quite awhile. Man, is she chunky. She easily looks ten months old.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Amentep said:

Subscription service MD - you've gotten to the microtransactions, just wait until you get to the lootboxes!

:lol:  I laughed heartily at that one, thanks. 

One thing that tossed up a flag and stubbornness on my part was she was prescribing a 2nd cholesterol/heart prescription on top of the one they already gave me, because of the triglyceride level while in the hospital I guess ... "to make sure we get that down."   But how do you know I need it if you don't have me come in and run blood tests to see what the levels are NOW or another week from now?  I can't check for that one at home.  I don't want a 2nd med that does sorta the same thing on top of the first without knowing if the first one has been ineffective, y'know?  And it's only been like 5 days. Diet and more exercise might help it a lot on its own over a month or so, too.  It's not just me, right? That's stupid?  😕

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

57 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

One thing that tossed up a flag and stubbornness on my part was she was prescribing a 2nd cholesterol/heart prescription on top of the one they already gave me, because of the triglyceride level while in the hospital I guess ... "to make sure we get that down."   But how do you know I need it if you don't have me come in and run blood tests to see what the levels are NOW or another week from now?  I can't check for that one at home.  I don't want a 2nd med that does sorta the same thing on top of the first without knowing if the first one has been ineffective, y'know?  And it's only been like 5 days. Diet and more exercise might help it a lot on its own over a month or so, too.  It's not just me, right? That's stupid?  😕

You kow, if you were living in Sweden I'd say listen to your doctor, but I kind of have a hard time saying that knowing that she might be "sponsored" by the company that makes the medicine...

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Got told to take a 10 minute break by my line manager, because he thought I was getting frustrated and needed a breather.

For something like the 4th time in a row , after sending a guy a data set with a "here is a mass of data, please tick "Y" in the column "in scope" so we know which to actually migrate for you, the guy has returned a completely different file with all the data structured completely different ways, marked with his own unique variants of "keep" "don't keep" "yes" "obsolete this"....

• Sad 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

5 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I'd think they'd want to be able to test to see if the first medicine was working before prescribing a second.  But then I'd rather not have a prescription for anything if there was another way to resolve it that I could do.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

After listening to customers complain about issues, I realize how true the statement "Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.” is.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

After listening to customers complain about issues, I realize how true the statement "Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.” is.

My days the last few week have involved hearing complaints from people.

"You didn't give me Item A!"

"You asked for Item B, here, and we gave you item B, here."

"But I need Item A, and now it is too late! What are you going to do about it?"

🤦‍♂️

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

At least there's lots of little walking paths around here, amidst all the office industrial places, that are just 5 minutes away or whatever.  Most of the time I simply walk out the front door and walk some blocks tho.  Easier.

Phone cameras still suck, imo.  Could you spend more time/effort/settings to make them come out better in some conditions? Probably. But half the time you can't see the screen well to frame (too bright outside) or hold it steady enough so why bother. Shrink it enough and it looks ok...   ha.  Best for middle-closer distances. Hence, food blogs and selfies, right.

walking-0001.jpg

walking-0002.jpg

Squirrel!

walking-0003.jpg

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 hours ago, Amentep said:

My days the last few week have involved hearing complaints from people.

"You didn't give me Item A!"

"You asked for Item B, here, and we gave you item B, here."

"But I need Item A, and now it is too late! What are you going to do about it?"

🤦‍♂️

Oh the complaints are legitimate.  But still doesn't hold me back from wishing to bayonet them in the neck, they whine so much.  Had one decide to refuse a workaround while a fix was being worked on as...apparently that's the improper way. 

I set the crockpot up to make venison stew. I'm making cornmeal pancakes with black coffee for breakfast. After some light yard work the plan is to spend the rest of the day in my hammock drinking ice tea and following the day's baseball games on my XM Radio. Life is pretty good.  

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Have dual monitors now, of course they are not level so need to get a monitor stand, but it's nice for work, at least

^  Hubby had two monitors, then three, then around covid and work at home, four (27"/1080's), now he's obsessed with testing 55" 4k TV's (so he can have 4 1080 programs on one screen for all his work at home remote desktop and other stuff).  I wonder if he'll go blind from all the glare from less than 2 feet away.  :biggrin:  Of course, like I should talk.  I'd steal his 55" if it would fit on my desk w/my other stuff. 

Hasn't been very long but after diet adjustments and body healing, blood sugar is already pretty low (100) upon waking and tolerable a couple hours after eating (200 +/-).  Gives me hope I might be one of those who someday could maybe not even need insulin shots (some oral meds maybe).  Diet's overall no problem.  But exercise ... Without specific activity/friend hobbies like I did in my youth, on my own I've always been lucky if I got off my arse and did 30mins twice a week. Everyday? pffffft.  I'm trying but at the moment more like 30-40min light/moderate every other day.  😛 Plus I'm still muscle-weak (excuses...). Did gain back a few pounds (mostly water weight I'd guess) but my legs/hips are still sticks, I can barely get my knees/upper thighs to touch when standing. Better than skin and bones now but still ugh.

Anyway...lab appointment in 3-4 weeks for them to check the triglycerides.  Hoping with body healing/pancreas not going crazy and all of that, that those will have gone way way down too.  Maybe closer to "normal" even. 

LC, you might dig some of these new smart exercise machines. Everybody raves about the Peloton, and Zwift is basically an MMO for stationary bikes and treadmills.

It's all a bit pricey to start, but might be worth looking into.

I was feeling slightly depressive, so I pulled out the whimsy to battle it. Which resulted in ordering a batch of fairy light leds, some cotton rope, and clamps. Now I plan to build an adult blanket fort to hide in and read for the weekend....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

I was feeling slightly depressive, so I pulled out the whimsy to battle it. Which resulted in ordering a batch of fairy light leds, some cotton rope, and clamps. Now I plan to build an adult blanket fort to hide in and read for the weekend....

I'm feeling you, though I battle it in different ways. Music and ginger beer for me. I've taken a liking to it, and I don't know why. :S

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

10 hours ago, Raithe said:

Honestly,  you had me thinking this was going to lead to some kinky stuff.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Raithe said:

I love this idea!

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

Honestly,  you had me thinking this was going to lead to some kinky stuff.

Just because it's being put to one use now, doesn't mean it can't be used for other things at later dates...

On 7/31/2020 at 1:40 PM, Hurlshot said:

LC, you might dig some of these new smart exercise machines. Everybody raves about the Peloton, and Zwift is basically an MMO for stationary bikes and treadmills.

It's all a bit pricey to start, but might be worth looking into.

Don't really have the home footprint space for typical exer-machines. The house is tiny, 980sf (built 1950's), w/almost no closet space, and bedrooms are stuffed with tech and desks, 1 car garage has washer, hubby's work table and giant shelves of "stuff" and the smallish front living area with table, shelves, TV/furniture.  There's like no large open floor space at all.  The backyard is bigger than the house, ha. 

That's why I bought my heavy duty pedals-only thingie that you can use sitting in a desk chair you already have.  It works quite nicely actually, but as I said ... I'm lazy. I did re-arrange my "office" so it's easier to use it (don't have to move it around the desk/out of the way all the time, maybe slightly more motivating that way).

Edited by LadyCrimson

Way back in February I'd booked tickets and time off to fly over to the US (Georgia in fact) to visit friends and attend DragonCon at the end of August.  Now DragonCon is cancelled, and I'm definitely not looking optimistically to being able to land in the US, let alone Georgia.

Methinks I'll be having to cancel those tickets in a week or two....

*idea flash*

I know! We have enough concrete slab patio area in the backyard - just need to cover some of it, then put an exercycle out there (with a cover for it too).  Then I could ride it while staring at the trees in the backyard, watch/listen to the rain, etc.

Hey hubby, get on that. (rain/sun cover).

Been idly doodling around with some of Fantasy Flights Rogue Trader RPG, and amused to realise that they've done a fan shout-out by including a "Reaver" alternate career path, a character that has lived too long on the edge of space, loses connection with humanity and now lives just for slaughter and pillage. A picture of which includes a character wearing a rather familiar browncoat.

Of course, what actually amused me most about it.. is that how often does something get translated into Warhammer 40k and become lighter and softer?

Also, realising it's pretty much Star Trek The Mirror Universe the RPG when you get down to it...

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Been idly doodling around with some of Fantasy Flights Rogue Trader RPG, and amused to realise that they've done a fan shout-out by including a "Reaver" alternate career path, a character that has lived too long on the edge of space, loses connection with humanity and now lives just for slaughter and pillage. A picture of which includes a character wearing a rather familiar browncoat.

Of course, what actually amused me most about it.. is that how often does something get translated into Warhammer 40k and become lighter and softer?

Also, realising it's pretty much Star Trek The Mirror Universe the RPG when you get down to it...

I love Fantasy Flights games, especially Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy. I miss my Rogue Trader/augmenticist with his Loki class Q-ship with torpedoes and plasma cannons. *_*

My character has more augmentations than the Enginseer Prime and they're ALL Best craftmanship or in some cases archeotech. And with his best craftmanship Lathe-pattern(Halves all incoming PEN from attacks) enforcer carapace armor he had something like 11 or 12 armor all over his body, limbs having an extra 2 Toughness bonus aswell!

We had such high profit rating that we went bananas on purchases though, we never bought anything that was less than Best craftmanship or Best craftmanship Archeotech, or you'd be considered a pauper 🤣

• Thanks 1