What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

Today we bought a new fridge, which we've needed a while but now more than ever with what feels like a 3 tons of produce in it.

There may be no real diet restrictions but the past couple days it's a strange confusion like I'm almost forcing myself to eat 3 small meals (plus a couple healthy snacks like an apple) but it's not enough calories. But if I have more fruit or the cracky type breads that's like eating little stones or almost anything much over that amount of food, the blood sugar goes up over 250 again (that's very high, btw) and I feel a bit oogy (get very thirsty again, other mild symptoms). Yet don't really have a mental appetite/can't eat a lot at once at the moment. Do I make 8oz of a vitamin/low protein/non-fat milk shake? But that's extra milk sugar and others. Do I eat a peach, has fiber/slower to digest supposedly (then crap snacks anyway)? Eat a small bit o' meat AND half an apple? Just inject a small amount more insulin before your next main dose?

Generalized plate rule:  divide by quarters and fill each quarter with the different groups (vegies, fruits, protein, etc). Already learned some new tasty veggie recipes. Tossed out any old or junk.
Anyway, meal planning overall not hard. But trying to figure out how to get enough daily calories without spiking blood sugar to stupid levels again, at least in these early stages of "recovering" and sussing out tolerances, not so much.  Does Kaiser's kitchen deliver ready made meals and can I just eat that? They made decent (small sized) burgers and meatloaf and soups....I'll pay extra, Kaiser. Pretty please?

:down:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, Skazz said:

I bought yet another ticket.

I now find myself in possession of four million dollars.

You owe me 10% for suggesting the third ticket.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Most people I've known who've been put on insulin had many of the same questions; unfortunately I don't know that a ny of them came up with a universal answer as it seems so individually specific. 

Still glad you're doing somewhat better LadyC.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

5 hours ago, Skazz said:

I bought yet another ticket.

I now find myself in possession of four million dollars.

that should make some o' your career planning a bit less stressful.

HA! Good Fun!

• Sad 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

11 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

that should make some o' your career planning a bit less stressful.

HA! Good Fun!

Oh...

Now I feel genuinely bad about making that "four million dollars" joke.

I think I should post less.

Edited by Skazz

Just now, Skazz said:

Oh....

Now I feel genuinely bad for making that "four million dollars" joke.

slight change to our response: 

am understanding how stressful is career planning, but purchase o' lottery tickets may not be a practical solution.

when we first came out to CA for school, the lottery were relative new in the state. just so happened CA had built up a jackpot which dwarfed any previous US state jackpot; had many folks who were otherwise dismissive o' lotteries buying tickets.

Gromnir tended to hang out with the ol guys and we were all at a pizza place when conversation turned to, what would you do if you won the lottery? *sigh* by the end o' the eve, we had all purchased at least a single ticket.

we lost.

never again purchased a lottery ticket. +30 years and counting.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

34 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Do they accept joke bucks in Canada?

Probably better Fx with USD than CAD. 😛

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

38 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Do they accept joke bucks in Canada?

while am not an international currency investor, we wouldn't call the zloty "joke bucks." probable illegal to send via mails regardless.

and yes, am aware at this point you is joking.

HA! Good Fun!

44 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

slight change to our response: 

am understanding how stressful is career planning, but purchase o' lottery tickets may not be a practical solution.

when we first came out to CA for school, the lottery were relative new in the state. just so happened CA had built up a jackpot which dwarfed any previous US state jackpot; had many folks who were otherwise dismissive o' lotteries buying tickets.

Gromnir tended to hang out with the ol guys and we were all at a pizza place when conversation turned to, what would you do if you won the lottery? *sigh* by the end o' the eve, we had all purchased at least a single ticket.

we lost.

never again purchased a lottery ticket. +30 years and counting.

HA! Good Fun!

You are right, of course, and I agree.

To be entirely honest with you, I have never really bought into lotteries myself. Not counting last week (that's when I bought two tickets; the third one was a joke), I think it happened once some twenty-odd years ago when I was still a kid and my grandpa got me a ticket as a surprise gift.

As for the these past few days... call me silly, but I'm not entirely sure why I made the purchase. Given the overall mood, I guess it was something of a spontaneous "well, you never know" moment to indulge in a fantasy, but even so, I understood all too well that it was a stupid decision. Regardless, it's not happening again.

EDIT: Hurlshot above put it into words perfectly before I even got to finish my post.

33 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

while am not an international currency investor, we wouldn't call the zloty "joke bucks."

Give it a year or two. ;)

Edited by Skazz
  • Haha 1

Well, as they say, you definitely can't win if you don't play.  :biggrin:

I stopped even thinking about it early on, when they changed the way the (Calif.) lottery worked (and multiple versions/winning pools) and the odds went up/against even more ridiculously - like maybe from 1:15million to 1:40million. When it first started/the period Gromnir mentions, it used to seem like someone got the 5 numbers and won a "jackpot" (3-8 million+) almost every week or two. When that isn't happening it's hard to even pretend anymore.  *wink*

I think I also bought some scratch off tickets super early on when they were a dollar, but never again. Last time I looked I noticed $5 scratchers and the possible prize amount for that one and lol'd.

I will however put a lot of nickels and quarters (do they even still have nickel slots? Probably not) in a slot machine while in Vegas once in a blue moon.  At least I feel like I'm "playing" something that way. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

I will however put a lot of nickels and quarters (do they even still have nickel slots? Probably not) in a slot machine while in Vegas once in a blue moon.  At least I feel like I'm "playing" something that way. :lol:

I won't pretend to know anything about slots, but aren't those usually (for the lack of a better word) rigged?

15 minutes ago, Skazz said:

I won't pretend to know anything about slots, but aren't those usually (for the lack of a better word) rigged?

I'm sure there are some places that might illegally "rig" their machines but generally speaking it's the same as any gambling - the odds are just very very poor/stacked against you.  You'll maybe win just enough to make you keep chasing and (if you're not an unreasonable addict), you're likely to walk off a little poorer but not extremely much so.  I'm not sure coin slots are even around now, they've probably gone all digital making you use prepaid insert cards and  $1-$10 pulls I'd imagine. Maybe they have dim backrooms with a few dusty coin slots for nostalgia.

Back then nickel slots were just for having the fun of playing them longer without losing much money. You didn't play them expecting to win anything even if you won, so to speak. Quarters could still get expensive pretty fast.

• Thanks 1

Not hanging around as much as I would love to... back to working insane hours regularly. We are looking for more staff now though, including more junior developers. Crossing fingers and hoping I get back to normal work load again in the not so distant future 😇

The container with all my personal belongings departed Hamburg on the 14th, so crossing fingers and hoping the ship gets a smooth voyage to Australia. Who knows, in a month and a half, I might get all my old furniture, books, movies, Warhammer miniature collections, photos, heck, even my old bed back. Stuff I haven't seen for almost 6 years.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Dear Diary:

Hospital stay w/no physical access to spouse made me finally think about/cave in and get a working cellphone account. So I got me a Samsung Galaxy A51.  Not the most rational choice for my purpose but the perky young sales rep didn't have to work hard to convince me. Should last me 4-5 years without changing it, if not more. I put hubby's cell on it and now it shall sit forever plugged in on a shelf for emergencies or when hubby wants to call and ask me if it was this bread or that bread I wanted from the store.

It's a fairly powerful mini-tablet I guess. Salesguy was so excited about it had FOUR CAMERAS in it. I took a picture with it and eh. Maybe I will use it to send 50 short texts to hubby every day (even if he's just over in the next room) because he hates texts. Hehe. I prefer my 10.5" tablet for mobile styled media/game activity 1000% more, this phone will only be for true mobile use. I do like being able to easily video-call with one button but hubby hates doing that too so...

Spent the past couple days getting my "exercise" running all over towns looking for lifestyle change supplies and things vs resting and recuperating.  Had to sit on the floor in the BestBuy for a while and ended up with a cluster of sales reps asking if I wanted a chair. :teehee: Done now. Next couple days I am going to do .... nothing.

• Like 1

Ran into my local neckbeard prototype in my local store, again, glad I confirmed it existed and the first wasn't a hallucination - dude was in cargo shorts and fedora again but had a Manowar tshirt this time.  Should have hung around to hear if he'd start bitching about women, but I got my cigs and got out of there. 

Got a mail from my boss about needing to take vacation, I'm being told that I have to take 25 days off.

Going to refuse ofcourse, but still; Lol. 😄

I was going to use all my days for Cyberpunk 2077, but now that it is being released in November it's kind of pointless. Going to try and get some form of surgery on my foot scheduled for then, I've got a bone growth ontop of my foot that is a PITA when using any form of shoe that ties in that area.

Edit; Also; 45 minutes into my workday, already getting antsy and irritated.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So as I'm working as a dispatcher at the moment, and I'm going bored AF, I decided to check some license plates against the DMV equivalent in Sweden, and found a truck that was registered as "not in traffic" meaning it's untaxed, and also uninsured. I reported it to my boss as I felt it was proper, and my boss response was... nothing. An hour later the truck came in here with orders to take another of our trailers to a customer.

I'm thinking about calling the cops directly.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 hours ago, Azdeus said:

So as I'm working as a dispatcher at the moment, and I'm going bored AF, I decided to check some license plates against the DMV equivalent in Sweden, and found a truck that was registered as "not in traffic" meaning it's untaxed, and also uninsured. I reported it to my boss as I felt it was proper, and my boss response was... nothing. An hour later the truck came in here with orders to take another of our trailers to a customer.

I'm thinking about calling the cops directly.

So... did you? How did that end?

Well, I called my former boss that's on 75% sick leave and asked for help, he made a phone call, and a couple of hours later when I called down to the boss he said they had put the vehicle back in traffic. It does show that now. I'm still really annoyed, because it hadn't been taxed for 13 months, so they've saved about 4000$ in tax money.

There is a foundation in Sweden that you pay a penalty fee to if you forget to insure your vehicle while it's road registered, and when someone smashes into another entity funds get taken from that foundation to pay for repairs/replacements, injury compensations and other such costs that normally would be handled by insurance. That fee is around 30$ per day for a truck, so in my opinion they should've had to pay 30*400, or 12000$ to that foundation aswell. No wonder they can undercut honest Swedish drivers.

I really miss my old boss, he'd have them hung by their scrotums for this.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Hubby:  "Can I listen in on your "phone doctor appointment" this afternoon?"
Me:  "Sure, speakerphone it is."

15-20 or so minutes later:

Hubby:  "About the only thing I learned from that was, you need to request a different doctor."

Couldn't understand half of what she said (very thick European accent I think), she was obviously not comfy on the phone, and wasted half my time trying to sales pitch me on other services and non-diabetes tests like mamograms vs. focusing on my immediate health concerns.  I think they're more concerned with "LIkes" and trying to make people not badmouth them than anything else.  What happened to the days when ppl like me could get ill, see a doc, grab some meds, maybe a follow up or two to check stuff, and that was it.  They left you largely alone.  Everything's part of a "program" that they keep trying to hustle you into now.

Edited by LadyCrimson

35 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Hubby:  "Can I listen in on your "phone doctor appointment" this afternoon?"
Me:  "Sure, speakerphone it is."

15-20 or so minutes later:

Hubby:  "About the only thing I learned from that was, you need to request a different doctor."

Couldn't understand half of what she said (very thick European accent I think), she was obviously not comfy on the phone, and wasted half my time trying to sales pitch me on other services and non-diabetes tests like mamograms vs. focusing on my immediate health concerns.  I think they're more concerned with "LIkes" and trying to make people not badmouth them than anything else.  What happened to the days when ppl like me could get ill, see a doc, grab some meds, maybe a follow up or two to check stuff, and that was it.  They left you largely alone.  Everything's part of a "program" that they keep trying to hustle you into now.

Subscription service MD - you've gotten to the microtransactions, just wait until you get to the lootboxes!

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man