What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

That is pretty steep for property insurance. All my properties combined are only a little more than that. There is a definite cost savings to living in the sticks. 

we got two other residential properties in same area. pay ~$800 per home for insurance, which is actual cheap for similar sized homes in same area. 

our personal residence appraises significant higher, and we got some optional increased coverage as well... but the $400 increase in one year is substantial and way beyond expectations.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

we got two other residential properties in same area. pay ~$800 per home for insurance, which is actual cheap for similar sized homes in same area. 

our personal residence appraises significant higher, and we got some optional increased coverage as well... but the $400 increase in one year is substantial and way beyond expectations.

HA! Good Fun!

Do they charge you separately for earthquake protection? In SFL there was a separate policy you had to buy for windstorm protection to cover hurricane damage. It was a ripoff too, nearly as much as your regular premium with a minimum deductible of $5k rather than whatever it was in your regular policy.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

11 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

^Flood insurance is shockingly high too.

probable won't make you feel better, but flood insurance purchased from your typical insurer is having a premium set by FEMA. the nfip were instituted 'cause ordinarily, if you live in a place which floods more frequent than the extreme o' living memory, you wouldn't actual be able to buy flood insurance. insurers would not/did not insure such a risk, 'cause from their pov, it weren't actual a risk.

private insurance companies handle the policies, but the premiums is fixed 'cause is government which actual pays. 

one exception: extreme high value homes. government has a cap 'cause build your multimillion dollar home in a place which floods frequent is... stoopid. government don't feel compelled to cover stoopid. many folks is stuck with homes in places located where it floods frequent... live in such places may be outta their control, but ultra-rich is not getting their frivolity subsidised by the government.  insurance for sooper-expensive homes may be acquired from the small number o' private insurers willing to offer such. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

someone here today went in the IRS building with an axe and started swinging. i can totally understand why he did it because i'm this close to going there myself with a chainsaw.

i was given back some papers i submitted because they were wrong... in one box of one of them i had to put in the number 2 and i didn't so i had to get the papers back, add the number and then make an appointment to give them back. seriously, couldn't the employee just add the missing number in box? the paper says "the house is adjacent to 2 roads - A and B" and the box says "number of roads adjacent to the house" how hard was it to fix it on her own by adding the number? its not even an obligatory field so she could just leave it empty!

and after all that, she called and said that i need to submit other papers that i have already submitted on the office next door to hers but she somehow can't just go ask for a copy there.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Guess they have rules on employees tampering with forms ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

More than likely employees doing anything with the form would be a dismissable offense.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

More than likely employees doing anything with the form would be a dismissable offense.

In Greece?

Just more likely he forgot to file attachment "C" as in "cash" with the tax papers. :p

Kidding...

Or am I?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Further journeys in my hatred of SaaS, having to deploy patches in an environment at some late hour and no one bothers to ensure I have access to the environment.  Got to waste the entire day harassing people via email though, so suppose is one bright side.

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

even if they can't tamper with the forms, which i can understand, it's still a non obligatory field so the employee could simply ignore it instead of pushing my case back another week. also, i had to give a copy of the ownership contract of the house (according to the accountant they should have no need for it, they should already have all relevant documentation on the house considering it was built in 1972 and every owner since has been paying taxes for it) because, according to the employee, i had to prove it was a house and after giving it to them they called to say that i submitted no proof that the house is a house because they couldn't find the copy among the mountain of useless papers they had me bring over the last 2 weeks. because 9/10 of the papers i had to give them, the IRS already has but who'd want to check the database and look for them when you can make the life of the citizen miserable?

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

i always get 1 number right on the lottery ticket because i buy the one with the number 1234567890

-Teknoman2-

On 7/16/2020 at 5:40 PM, Skazz said:

I bought a lottery ticket.

I didn't win anything.

You won a valuable life lesson...don't gamble.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

7 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Life is a gamble.

Ok...The don't gamble, kill yourself.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

8 hours ago, Skazz said:

I bought another ticket.

Guess what happened.

Third time's a charm!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Life is a gamble.

indeed. 'course the key is to position self so you are the house.

HA! Good Fun!

Do you bruise easily? Don't like needles? 

IV-1.jpg

Don't end up here, then.

h-bed1.jpg

Also, if you don't like hospitals and are convinced you'll be fine in a few days, maybe don't listen to yourself.  😜
...too tired for long details. Was another bout of the back/stomach pain/puking, weight loss etc. Twas acute pancreatitis. I'm at home now. Supposedly I was "close" to dying (triglycerides were through the roof). If hubby hadn't decided I was being too loopy and walked me to the car and hospital I guess I might've. I did have some mighty fine visual and mental hallucinations tho (no fake ppl inserted, sadly).  Would make a good paranoia film script, those.

Edit:  With covid, not a hospital-great time to be generally sick.  They checked for 4 or 5 viruses too, zero patient visitors allowed etc. It was interesting

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Gasp! 5
  • Sad 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You're ok now though?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Sorry to hear that, LC. My wife has pancreatitis. She takes an enzyme called creon with food to help her process. Did they take it out? She says the pain was worse than child birth. She has had a few flare ups over the years.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Azdeus said:

You're ok now though?

More or less, so far.  Right now it all still feels kooky from the IV mixers and then now being removed from said mixers (I had 6 constant IV drips at one point) but I certainly feel tons better than I did some days ago!  :)

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Sorry to hear that, LC. My wife has pancreatitis. She takes an enzyme called creon with food to help her process. Did they take it out? She says the pain was worse than child birth. She has had a few flare ups over the years.

I think I remember that time period and you talking about diets.

They didn't remove it. After a lot of mucking about, since my test results always seem to confuse docs (I'm lucky that way, haha) they classified me as heavily Type2 diabetic.  I was asked so many times if I had a drinking problem because of the pancreas aspect and apparently the first 24 hrs hubby had to keep explaining "she doesn't avoid drinking because she had a past problem, she just doesn't drink/never has."  (well, outside of some times 30 years ago)   :sorcerer:

So in the end they don't have a final chicken/egg answer.  I'd guess Type2 for some years that had no dramatic symptoms (as mentioned I'm not a big "doctor checkup" person) then mild losing-function pancreas symptoms  (fatigue, aches and pains "I'm just getting old") then finally several progressively worse acute attacks over the past year or so. So initially I'm on Type2 regimen - 2 insulin per day. Hoping can get it down to at least one instead. I have no specific diet restrictions outside of the very important portion size aspect and not overbalancing any food/sugar/carb groupings too much any one meal/day. So got lucky there I guess.

EDIT:  Because they don't allow vistor access at all at the moment, hubby said trying to get docs on the phone once a day to get information about even what they were doing to me was really difficult. He was pretty freaked out.  🥰

EDITEDIT:  Hubby even .... cleaned the house!!

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

More or less, so far.  Right now it all still feels kooky from the IV mixers and then now being removed from said mixers (I had 6 constant IV drips at one point) but I certainly feel tons better than I did some days ago!  :)

I think I remember that time period and you talking about diets.

They didn't remove it. After a lot of mucking about, since my test results always seem to confuse docs (I'm lucky that way, haha) they classified me as heavily Type2 diabetic.  I was asked so many times if I had a drinking problem because of the pancreas aspect and apparently the first 24 hrs hubby had to keep explaining "she doesn't avoid drinking because she had a past problem, she just doesn't drink/never has."  (well, outside of some times 30 years ago)   :sorcerer:

So in the end they don't have a final chicken/egg answer.  I'd guess Type2 for some years that had no dramatic symptoms (as mentioned I'm not a big "doctor checkup" person) then mild losing-function pancreas symptoms  (fatigue, aches and pains "I'm just getting old") then finally several progressively worse acute attacks over the past year or so. So initially I'm on Type2 regimen - 2 insulin per day. Hoping can get it down to at least one instead. I have no specific diet restrictions outside of the very important portion size aspect and not overbalancing any food/sugar/carb groupings too much any one meal/day. So got lucky there I guess.

My wife went through the same thing! Apparently pancreatitis is associated with heavy drinking of drug use, so some doctors just assume that is the cause. I wrote a letter of complaint about one ER doctor that treated her with hostility during one attack. The doctor was convinced she was just there for morphine, when really we were there to get specific tests done that her gastroenterologist had requested. 

It seems like it has become more common in recent years. We still don't know what caused it, but as long as she takes the enzyme, she avoids becoming diabetic. Good luck with the regimen, hopefully it will get better. Things also seems to get better when she got her gall bladder out. 

12 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I'm glad to hear it, I hope it stays so 😃

--------

I'm back on the day shift since my little student decided she needs a vacation, so I'm stuck behind a keyboard for 4 weeks. It's been two hours and I'm already going numb in the noggin, I'm so skull****ingly bored that I don't know what to do, and I'm getting quite a bit of anxiety about regaining the weight I've lost while working properly for the past months.

• Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken