What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

I made plans with a rather cute Masters in Library Science student for a second socially-distanced date, and while I'm not trying to be overly hopeful last night's multi-hour zombie-killing escapade was mutually enjoyable (we spent around six hours on Killing Floor, not a bad first date all things considered). 

• Like 5

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I get my cast off tomorrow. I am soooo ready.

I also need to get a TB test before I report back to work. But I have no idea when I will be reporting, and I really don't want to go to the clinic where they take the test. 

• Like 1

Woke up, went to get coffee.

Coffee pot gone.

Sister took it.

Sister went away.

I'm going to ****ing murder her.

• Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Listening to Critical Role rather than paying attention to status calls at work.  Nothing of value is missed.  Also got myself new cargo pants.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Listening to Critical Role rather than paying attention to status calls at work.  Nothing of value is missed.  Also got myself new cargo pants.

I think I should learn how to code.

Before work I went to town to pick up my lunchpack from my friends store, as I rolled out to the freeway towards work there was a set of red lights, I was first in the queue, and just before I rolled up, this started playing on my spotify...

Those of you who know, will know what happened next 😛

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 hours ago, Skazz said:

You should. I should, too.  Not like I do anything more than glorified monkey work :lol: but at least it sounds impressive when I half-lie and say I work with PL/SQL, C#, Java and Powerbuilder.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

19 minutes ago, Malcador said:

You should. I should, too.  Not like I do anything more than glorified monkey work :lol: but at least it sounds impressive when I half-lie and say I work with PL/SQL, C#, Java and Powerbuilder.

How difficult is it to learn C# and/or Java? I'm asking because I've hit a concrete wall career-wise and I'm actually desperate enough to start from scratch in a completely different field.

I should add that I have no experience in coding whatsoever.

Edited by Skazz

4 hours ago, Skazz said:

Only of you fancy working from 8:30 to 2am during crunch times (which can be weeks)

• Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Skazz said:

How difficult is it to learn C# and/or Java? I'm asking because I've hit a concrete wall career-wise and I'm actually desperate enough to start from scratch in a completely different field.

I should add that I have no experience in coding whatsoever.

Not that hard, I'd say.  If you want to start out, give Python a look.  Programming is just problem solving for the most part, well, and becoming the kind of person that cannot pass up a chance for ego masturbation, if my coworkers are the trend.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Malcador said:

Not that hard, I'd say.  If you want to start out, give Python a look.  Programming is just problem solving for the most part, well, and becoming the kind of person that cannot pass up a chance for ego masturbation, if my coworkers are the trend.

Thanks, I'll start looking for some resources. And the ego thing, well, I can only hope that it's not universal...

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

Only of you fancy working from 8:30 to 2am during crunch times (which can be weeks)

I've never been a fan of sacrificing one's life and passions on the altar of Great Corporate Overlords, but right now I'm facing an adapt-or-die situation. Granted, we're still talking about a prerequisite long-term investment that'll likely end up being a dud (as, to be honest, I don't think I have the necessary mental capacity to code), but either way it's probably high time to do something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skazz said:

I don't think I have the necessary mental capacity to code

Don't worry about that, you do well enough with grammar to manage. 
The problem is checking the right boxes to get a foot in a door somewhere. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Skazz said:

What do you mean?

Need a piece of paper for people to even bother interviewing you

1 hour ago, Skazz said:

What do you mean?

If you are looking on the corporate side there will be a check-list you will be evaluated against. 
Getting on a junior developer position may not be easy given the times.
And whatever you do try to avoid one of the intern mills that abuse employees as far as law allows.

• Like 1

because of the lockdown i've been staying with my ma and grandma for the last 5 months. i got 22kg fatter because all there is to eat around here is carbs. every day its either pasta, rice or potatoes with a side of bread and sugar and whole lot of fried foods... and both of them are diabetic but they can't get it in their head that they need to change what they eat. 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Apparently waging misinformation campaigns on coworkers is "rude", pft.  So I guess I have to let them know I am not married with a sick kid that requires me to leave work early now and then.

I just got back from donating blood.  I had to wait until I hadn't had 'Rona exposure for 30 days, so I haven't donated since the end of February.  Double platelets and a unit of whole blood.

A lot of blood banks are testing for Covid-19 antibodies for free, so that's an incentive.  We really could use the blood right now.  We could almost always use the blood.  Also, platelets have a much shorter shelf-life, so if you can donate those, please consider it.  Packed red blood cells are also vital if you have O-.  Really, O+ or O-, but O- moreso.  If you're in Southern California, you can go to LifeStream and donate much needed blood product *and* get a free antibody test.  I'm sure there's an opportunity wherever you live to do the same.

EDIT:  When I say we could "almost" always use the blood, what I mean is, the need is almost always extreme.  It's always needed.

Edited by MedicineDan
  • Like 4

"Not for the sake of much time..."

49 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

I just got back from donating blood.  I had to wait until I hadn't had 'Rona exposure for 30 days, so I haven't donated since the end of February.  Double platelets and a unit of whole blood.

A lot of blood banks are testing for Covid-19 antibodies for free, so that's an incentive.  We really could use the blood right now.  We could almost always use the blood.  Also, platelets have a much shorter shelf-life, so if you can donate those, please consider it.  Packed red blood cells are also vital if you have O-.  Really, O+ or O-, but O- moreso.  If you're in Southern California, you can go to LifeStream and donate much needed blood product *and* get a free antibody test.  I'm sure there's an opportunity wherever you live to do the same.

EDIT:  When I say we could "almost" always use the blood, what I mean is, the need is almost always extreme.  It's always needed.

Good on you!

I've been meaning to donate blood for a long time since I'm an universal donor, but trypanophobia, and the fact that my doctors keep changing my blood pressure medication has stalled me, and now Covid ontop of that. 😕

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Good on you!

I've been meaning to donate blood for a long time since I'm an universal donor, but trypanophobia, and the fact that my doctors keep changing my blood pressure medication has stalled me, and now Covid ontop of that. 😕

Tell me about it!  ...And Covid is looking increasingly more of a cardiovascular problem than pulmonary.  Ugh.  Not that it changes much about blood donations, but it's a topsy-turvy world.  Take care of your health!  We don't want *you* to need any of that blood!  :broad grin:

"Not for the sake of much time..."

15 hours ago, pmp10 said:

If you are looking on the corporate side there will be a check-list you will be evaluated against. 
Getting on a junior developer position may not be easy given the times.
And whatever you do try to avoid one of the intern mills that abuse employees as far as law allows.

Hmm. Thank you - I had no idea that intern mills were a thing.

I'll need to do some research.

• Like 1

I heard a recording of my own voice for the first time in ages, and I was quite shocked about how I sounded. :S

14 hours ago, Skazz said:

Hmm. Thank you - I had no idea that intern mills were a thing.

I'll need to do some research.

That's never a bad thing 😃

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

I heard a recording of my own voice for the first time in ages, and I was quite shocked about how I sounded. :S

Yep, I hate hearing my own voice.  Still it's not too far from the constantly apathetic monotone I am trying for

Have a day off, so may read up on investing.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

had a friend call us up 'bout a year ago, chuckling as she told us she heard us doing vo for her kid's cartoon show. had no idea what she were talking 'bout...

claimed we sound just like tarrlok.  sent us a couple youtube clips.

didn't believe her... didn't sound at all like Gromnir. so she had us read a bunch o' tarrlok lines doing our best to sound like tarrlok, which she recorded and played back to us.

ok. so we sound like tarrlok... or the pasty-faced vo actor who did tarrlok. whatever.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)