Fallouts future

Obsidian please I beg of you make a new fallout game. I’ve recently gotten into fallout and my first game was new Vegas I was amazed, the story was the best i’d played in a video game ever. So I got fallout 4 to see if it was as good as new Vegas and I was very disappointed, so now I’m writing this. Please make a new fallout, get the ip from Bethesda make it the obsidian entertainment passion project. Bethesda knows that fallout right now isn’t in a great place. fallout 76 was a total dumpster fire and fallout 5 is a few years out. So what would lift fallout right from the gutter a game by the best to have done fallout. They realize fallouts not in a good state so I need you to beg to get the ip. we the fallout community would go head over heels for a new fallout by you. Bring the reputation system back bring back skills like lock picking don’t put us on a path have us walk the wide wasteland of Seattle or Denver or Detroit have us meet interesting factions have ZERO brotherhood of steel have better graphics than current Bethesda tiles. Those are what we want as a community and I hope the og creators from interplay are still there to make the world they created happen and show that fallout is obsidians game not Bethesda’s. And thank you if you are a dev reading this thanks for all the games you have made for our entertainment 

• Thanks 1

Outer Worlds in the New Fallout. That's as close as we can hope to get I am afraid.

Obsidian isn't independent anymore. Even if Bethesda would be interested in hiring 3rd party studios (which they weren't interested in for a while now) I don't think Microsoft would be interested in working for another's company IP. And that's assuming Obsidian would be up to another Fallout project after what happened with New Vegas metacritic bonus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think Obsidian would jump on that if they could.  It won't happen though.  Although microsoft does own inxile, which has the Wasteland series.  So i suppose it's possible inxile and obsidian could partner up for that.  I think that's the most you could hope for.

• Like 1

Fallout was dead as of Fallout 2.

FO:Tactics was a nice spin-off, with better combat than the original games (if you switch from the ghastly default combat, and enabled turn based mode).

FOBOS was not a nice spin-off.

FO3 was a FOBOS spin-off.

*Don't believe?

Spoiler

FO4 was a FO3 spin-off.

Edited by Gizmo

16 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Fallout was dead as of Fallout 2.

FO:Tactics was a nice spin-off, with better combat than the original games (if you switch from the ghastly default combat, and enabled turn based mode).

FOBOS was not a nice spin-off.

FO3 was a FOBOS spin-off.

*Don't believe?

Reveal hidden contents

FO4 was a FO3 spin-off.

I'm not sure fallout 4 is really a spin off of fallout 3... Unless you consider fallout 2 a spinoff of fallout 1. They are unrelated stories, but are final fantasy spin offs of other final fantasy?  I mean at least fallout 3 and 4 are in the same world.  Though not sequels definitely not what I'd consider spin offs either.

The BOS is more of a spin off.  As it's telling a story about one particular group within fallout.

Would new Vegas be a spin off?  As it does follow the 1 and 2 lore pretty closely.

Are every star trek a spin off of the original star trek and not actually star trek?

I think I just don't understand your definition of spin off

Edited by Theonlygarby

I would consider a spin-off title being a game that offers the same IP in a different format; familiar, but not the same core game play.  

Fallout 2 is nearly indistinguishable from Fallout at a quick glance—it's actually too close. You can see where the new sprite content was rendered with the wrong lighting & material settings, such that it doesn't match very well. It's practically a standalone expansion. But it's Fallout gameplay.

FO:Tactics has the turn based combat, and great improvements to it, but it's not otherwise Fallout 3 material.

It's funny but InXile's Wasteland 2 seems to be based more on FO:Tactics than Wasteland; I'd class WL2 as a WL series spin-off that's close enough to almost pass for a Tactics sequel.

FO3 is Oblivion with with an IP reskin, plain and simple; not even a TES spin-off, because it's practically the same game repainted with a new campaign.

FO3 seems like a FOBOS spin-off to me, because it's very easy to look at these two, and see the first —a lite iso-style RPG, and see the second as derived from the first, and made first person, with the world treatment being shockingly similar IMO; especially as pertains to the Brotherhood becoming the knights of the wasteland.

FO4 I didn't play, but I have seen videos and reviews of it.  I think they took the many forum suggestions seriously and were able —at least as a machine— to do the power armor properly & plausibly... though I don't know the specifics of its wear & tear, and protection, and of course... one would have to ignore their crafting & modding aspect of the game entirely. No PC would know how to make alterations to power armor... the very attempt is out of character—so that kills the roleplaying right at the start. Even the Brotherhood of Steel could only polish and cosmetically modify the armors.

FO4 seems like a shooter with multiple paths.  Based on the Fallout IP, but not really Fallouty, or very RPG-like.

They appear to be following a pattern of simplification; trying to eliminate the last remaining vestigial RPG aspects over the long term.

streamlining_the_systems_1.png

Presumably to make a 100% reaction simulation; to remove even the concept of roleplaying a PC (which not everybody 'gets'...), and instead offering simple player substitution. IE. "What you would do if you were there". No roleplaying at all.   

It's a badly skewed version of the Fallout IP world setting, but it's still recognizable. I'd call it a FO3 spin-off; offering the IP setting, but radically different gameplay.

*Incidentally, I'd call FO:New Vegas a FO3 spin off too, but in this case, it's the reverse of Bethesda's typical treatment; it further complicates it with depth, and brings it closer back to the series proper. NV was still developed on the leash, so it's closer to FO3 than it is to anything else in the IP. 

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If Obsidian wants to make a new Fallout New Vegas style game, they could go back to the IP of the predecessor that Fallout was the spiritual successor of in the first place. Wasteland has a lot of potential, and since InXile and Obsidian are both subsidiaries of Microsoft I imagine that it wouldn't take much effort to swing that IP. Wasteland has a lot of similarities to Fallout, and if they want to make a new game in the same vein it would be easy for them to flesh out what happened e.g. in California post Wasteland 2 or what have you.

• 1 month later...

FWIW Obsidian does not own the Fallout IP, and does not own Fallout: New Vegas, so them working on a remaster of the game would be up the Bethesda, which would be fairly unlikely.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ahhh. excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject and thank you for the information. Considering what Bethesda did with 76 (imo), this is unfortunate. Obsidian does amazing work with rpgs. What are the odds obsidian will work on a realistic shooter rpg? One thing i loved about New Vegas was the ability to barter different ammo without having to modify the weapons themselves. Thank you for your time, whom ever should take time to reply. 

Edited by Madw0rkah0lik

4 minutes ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

I love how timely this comment was. How unlikely? Looks like Fallout's back on the menu boys.

Yes, I have impeccable timing. 😞

For context - 

https://news.microsoft.com/2020/09/21/microsoft-to-acquire-zenimax-media-and-its-game-publisher-bethesda-softworks/

Edit: So @Madw0rkah0lik there's hope after all!

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Id f'n cry!! At least tear up. Please let me know if im wrong in my interpretation. Obsedian is part of or owned by Microsoft...Bethesdas parent company is now or will soon be owned by Microsoft....so in theory couldnt obsedian work on the next fallout? Thanks again.

I never got into elder scrolls, im attracted to more modern gameplay but i heard from friends of mine that did play it that it was awesome in short. I think obsidian nailed fallout new vegas.

76 got rid of all the npc groups and replaced em with the scorched and also scorched the entire story line with it. Playing with friends, bartering with other players, weapons and gear with multiple legendary perks were the few things they got right in my opinion.

Id like to see a larger then life fallout filled with npc groups and multiple story lines. I also would like it if they added more modern weapons to the fold. Ar's, Barret 50's, ect ect. Im no expert in game dev so i wont pretent or tell people how to do their jobs, but im super excited Microsoft acquired Bethesda is this deal. Only good can come from this.

2 hours ago, Madw0rkah0lik said:

I never got into elder scrolls, im attracted to more modern gameplay but i heard from friends of mine that did play it that it was awesome in short. I think obsidian nailed fallout new vegas.

76 got rid of all the npc groups and replaced em with the scorched and also scorched the entire story line with it. Playing with friends, bartering with other players, weapons and gear with multiple legendary perks were the few things they got right in my opinion.

Id like to see a larger then life fallout filled with npc groups and multiple story lines. I also would like it if they added more modern weapons to the fold. Ar's, Barret 50's, ect ect. Im no expert in game dev so i wont pretent or tell people how to do their jobs, but im super excited Microsoft acquired Bethesda is this deal. Only good can come from this.

Not only did Microsoft purchase Bethesda but also all 8 other AAA Zenimax Studios this is an absolute insane Monday!