Crashes on launch

kaykilt

Question

Game will not launch. I get an endless black screen with the hand cursor but if I click it crashes completely. Sometimes there's music sometimes there isn't. Game was launching last night but wasn't on occasion (after the obsidian logo there would be music but a black screen) and after googling alt+enter made the menu show up after which it ran fine for awhile. After googling that issue people suggested updating graphics driver (NVIDIA geforce 840M) which I've done, now game won't launch at all. Tried a few suggested solutions but nothing working.

crash.zip

1 answer to this question

Hey Kaykilt. Thanks for contacting us about this issue you've been experiencing in Deadfire. I apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this issue has caused. I see you've already tried to update your drivers so we can skip that step. Some users have reported issues with software running in the background on their laptops, causing an issue with the game. I'll list how to disable background applications based on which version of Windows you're running. Please let me know if you were able to get the game to run properly after disabling the Startup software.

Windows® 7
Before trying the steps below, close unnecessary programs and restart your computer.
Identify Problematic Startup Items

1. Press Windows Key+R.
  2. Type msconfig and press Enter.
  3. Check Load startup items.
  4. Select the Startup tab.
  5. Click Disable all.
  6. Restart the computer

If this resolves the issue, enable the startup applications one at a time to determine which one is causing the problem. You will need to restart between each application you enable.

Windows® 8
Before trying the steps below, close unnecessary programs and restart your computer.

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager.
  2. Select the Startup tab.
  3. Right-click on each item and select Disable.
  4. Restart the computer.

If this resolves the issue, enable the startup applications one at a time to determine which one is causing the problem. You will need to restart between each application you enable.
Note: To re-enable startup applications, follow steps 1-3 and select Enable.

Windows® 10

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager.
  2. Click More Details.
  3. Select the Startup tab.
  4. Right-click on each item and select Disable.
  5. Restart the computer.

If this resolves the issue, enable the startup application one at a time to determine which one is causing the problem. You will need to restart between each application you enable.
Note: To re-enable startup applications, follow steps 1-4 and select Enable.