Hey all,

I just finished my first blind PotD solo playthrough with single class Blood Mage but i didn't manage to do some of the stuff i wanted to do (e.g. Megabosses). They seemed impossible to me and i tried lots of things but in the end i always ran out resources or just flat out died and barely made a dent to their HP.

I do understand you can cheese stuff with Brilliant and WoD but i am not into that kind of thing because i feel like if i do that, i might as well turn on godmode with console.

Is there a build that can deal with those megabosses without cheesing the hell out of them with infinite resources / invincibility?

I was looking at the skills for classes and single class monk seems really good but it seems like all you do is auto attack everything down and that gets boring pretty fast unless i am missing something.

I was thinking maybe something with Riposte and noticed the endless paths greatsword has a similar ability to riposte. Would a Steel Garotte / Trickster be viable for PotD solo w/ Megabosses and if so how would i build it stats wise?

Would 14/3/10/17/14/19 work? Do i need DEX for it? or can i just dump it for more MIG/INT/PER?

I would appreciate all the help. 

Edited by Redsynja

If you want to beat all megabosses there is not that much to pick  outside of  wizz multiclasses, priest multiclasses (and single classes of them), monk, herald and maybe inqusitor(idk how reliable is disintegration in killing hauani) , big Ooze fight mechanics is the limiting factor imho and cipher/rouge falls short here. Maybe if you gouge her and retreat to finsh her off with disintegration?? But thats even more boring cheese.

4 hours ago, Redsynja said:

They seemed impossible to me and i tried lots of things but in the end i always ran out resources

thats way classes with resource regen or ability to uphold brilliant shine in solo confrontations with them, 

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

never tested it @thelee but  that's quote from  @Kaylon  from his  sniper build thread:

" Hauani O Whe remains the only weakness so far - from all abilities/weapons able to destroy the target on kill, the only one able to prevent the split 100% of the time seems to be Disintegration. "

he's pretty legit in that matters so I assume it's true

edit . now that i found that post it looks that  it works 100% 

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

4 minutes ago, Waski said:

never tested it @thelee but  that's quote from  @Kaylon  from his  sniper build thread:

" Hauani O Whe remains the only weakness so far - from all abilities/weapons able to destroy the target on kill, the only one able to prevent the split 100% of the time seems to be Disintegration. "

he's pretty legit in that matters so I assume it's true

edit . now that i found that post it looks that  it works 100% 

weird! is it an older thread? i know there used to be issues where effects could instantly annihilate hauane o whe and prevent the split, and i thought they had patched them all.

if not, i had assumed all annihilation effects were identical, but i guess that's never a safe assumption with deadfire.

Edited by thelee

6 hours ago, Waski said:

If you want to beat all megabosses there is not that much to pick  outside of  wizz multiclasses, priest multiclasses (and single classes of them), monk, herald and maybe inqusitor(idk how reliable is disintegration in killing hauani) , big Ooze fight mechanics is the limiting factor imho and cipher/rouge falls short here. Maybe if you gouge her and retreat to finsh her off with disintegration?? But thats even more boring cheese.

thats way classes with resource regen or ability to uphold brilliant shine in solo confrontations with them, 

I don't think you can solo Dorugudan with inquisitor in melee anymore, if you kite it, well takes a few hours maybe. Wiz, priest and monk can finish boss in within 10 min while herald will take more than 1 hour...

7 hours ago, dunehunter said:

I don't think you can solo Dorugudan with inquisitor in melee anymore, if you kite it, well takes a few hours maybe. Wiz, priest and monk can finish boss in within 10 min while herald will take more than 1 hour...

Hauani takes 1 hour... With optimized gear Dorudugan can be killed in less than 20 min by a herald.

The monk becomes OP when he gets WotW, until then he struggles and has to skip many fights...

Another strong solo class is the bloodmage/paladin - he performs better than the herald against Hauani, but he has a harder battle against Dorudugan.

The tactician/assassin is probably the most OP class, save vs Hauani. It's the most effective as a sniper, but it works very well as a melee too (infinite Unbending helps). I never tried using Wahai Poraga with Mule Kick, but if the knock up is applied to all the targets it hits while giving your discipline back, it might be a solution...

PS. Forgot about soulblade/paladin using Sun and Moon/Tuotilo's Palm. He can kill easily Hauani - when less than 25% health left cast Disintegration and finish him with Marux Amanth. In theory he can kite Dorudugan or use Nomad's Brigandine to avoid his attacks in melee. I'm pretty sure you can also tank him because you can reach 21 melee AR as a paladin, reducing his damage by 75%. The only problem is the AoE fire attacks will heal him back and I'm not sure the dps will be enough to kill him (the herald can also tank him in melee, but can't kill him because of that).

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaylon said:

Hauani takes 1 hour... With optimized gear Dorudugan can be killed in less than 20 min by a herald.

The monk becomes OP when he gets WotW, until then he struggles and has to skip many fights...

Another strong solo class is the bloodmage/paladin - he performs better than the herald against Hauani, but he has a harder battle against Dorudugan.

The tactician/assassin is probably the most OP class, save vs Hauani. It's the most effective as a sniper, but it works very well as a melee too (infinite Unbending helps). I never tried using Wahai Poraga with Mule Kick, but if the knock up is applied to all the targets it hits while giving your discipline back, it might be a solution...

Surprised you can reduce the time to solo dorudugan in 20min with herald, mind share gears and abilities you use?

Recently I'm also able to solo dorugan with a Bleakwalker/assassin, with the help of watcher ability(the one that gives u 30 sec brilliant) and enough invisibility potions... Will try Haunai later but i think for Holy slayer dorudugan is the hardest because of how limited resource holy slayer has, it might be easier to solo Haunai since backstabbing can stun and Haunai has not resist to Con affliction, which means Bleakwalker's sicken on FoD helps a lot there.

Edited by dunehunter

2 minutes ago, dunehunter said:

Surprised you can reduce the time to solo dorugan in 20min with herald, mind share gears and abilities you use?

Recently I'm also able to solo dorugan with a Bleakwalker/assassin, with the help of watcher ability(the one that gives u 30 sec brilliant) and enough invisibility potions... Well try Haunai later but i think it would be easier since backstabbing can stun and Haunai has not resist to Con affliction, which means Bleakwalker's sicken on FoD helps a lot there.

In my video on youtube I already kill him in something like 25min. You can improve the dps by changing some items (pet, armor, belt) and use Marux Amanth when he's under 25% health - all that would cut the time by more than 1/4.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever tried to kite Dorudugan with Helwalker, but instead of using multihitting ranged weapon use a battle axe with bleeding cuts via Instruments of Pain?

While bleedinc cut ticks prolly don't add resonance, they still add significant dps so one would maybe need less stacks of resonance? No idea if that would actually speed up the fight or still be slower than multihitting ranged, but with dualwield axe + scordeo or maybe even 2 axes should still be a lot of hits

3 hours ago, Kaylon said:

I never tried using Wahai Poraga with Mule Kick, but if the knock up is applied to all the targets it hits while giving your discipline back, it might be a solution...

Tested Wahai Poraga again a few weeks ago with all sorts of abilities. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit broken now:

you will only hit two targets max - and not the initial+3 like the descriptuion suggests.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

6 hours ago, Raven Darkholme said:

While bleedinc cut ticks prolly don't add resonance

Correct, it doesn't.

I never tried if the "Wall of Flame" (it has a different name) from Dragon's Dowry will add Resonant Touches. It may be since it originates from a weapon. I once saw Grave Calling's Chillfog add stacks of RT, so maybe it also works with Wall of Flame. The Wall itself would heal the big D, but if it would add a lot of stacks for later to "finish" it could be worthwhile? Maybe...? Don't know if it adds stacks at all - because the dmg will get transformed to healing at some point (before or after RT gets checked?).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

22 minutes ago, Raven Darkholme said:

Has anyone ever tried to kite Dorudugan with Helwalker, but instead of using multihitting ranged weapon use a battle axe with bleeding cuts via Instruments of Pain?

While bleedinc cut ticks prolly don't add resonance, they still add significant dps so one would maybe need less stacks of resonance? No idea if that would actually speed up the fight or still be slower than multihitting ranged, but with dualwield axe + scordeo or maybe even 2 axes should still be a lot of hits

Dorudugan has 21 slash AR, so you might only be able to penetrate him if you crit, otherwise your bleeding cut dam would be pretty low.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Tested Wahai Poraga again a few weeks ago with all sorts of abilities. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit broken now:

you will only hit two targets max - and not the initial+3 like the descriptuion suggests.

Two hits is enough. If you can Mule Kick both oozes at the same time and get your discipline back you can prevent them from merging.

• Like 1

One build that can solo all mega bosses without infinite resource cheese is SC assassin, it's also pretty smooth to reach lvl 19 to get vanishing strike as you have invisibility.

Not true, he can't kil the ooze and I doubt he can kill the water dragon either. A psion/assassin could kill them (use Disintegration vs Hauani), however he will also have a hard time against the water dragon. But waiting 2hrs for a boss to die from bleeding isn't very fun. (And in theory all classes can exploit this trick using Lover's Embrace/potions of invisibility.)

Edited by Kaylon

42 minutes ago, Kaylon said:

Not true, he can't kil the ooze and I doubt he can kill the water dragon either. However a psion/assassin could kill them (use Disintegration vs Hauani), however he will also have a hard time against the water dragon. But waiting 2hrs for a boss to die from bleeding isn't very fun. (And in theory all classes can exploit this trick using Lover's Embrace/potions of invisibility.)

Need wit of death's herald for sure, and optimize assassin's dps. With maximized INT, empower, brilliant you will have up to 140 sec before run out of Guile, if you dps is high enough oozie is killable.

Also there's a watcher ability called No time for the Lost which extend your benefit duration for around 10 sec, which could be used to extend brilliant and blade cascade.

I tried to solo hauani with a holy slayer recently, at first i really think it is impossible but after a lot of tries this is also doable, you will need 3 stun to prevent gigantic oozie and massive oozie's merging, I used Lockdown from warden gloves, No quarter from the rakhan field boots and Shout of hosts from heaven's cacophony, then kill one oozie when both are stunned/knockdown. Need a lot of optimization/micromanagement but doable.

image.png.c8e65c99d8483b614ade41fddc104872.png

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dunehunter said:

Need wit of death's herald for sure, and optimize assassin's dps. With maximized INT, empower, brilliant you will have up to 140 sec before run out of Guile, if you dps is high enough oozie is killable.

you are not taking into consideration corrosive solvent from the ooze, wont have enough guile to kill it in time consistently if you fail to vanish just once

Edited by n00biwan
  • Hmmm 1

Also there's a watcher ability called No time for the Lost which extend your benefit duration for around 10 sec, which could be used to extend brilliant and blade cascade.

I tried to solo hauani with a holy slayer recently, at first i really think it is impossible but after a lot of tries this is also doable, you will need 3 stun to prevent gigantic oozie and massive oozie's merging, I used Lockdown from warden gloves, No quarter from the rakhan field boots and Shout of hosts from heaven's cacophony, then kill one oozie when both are stunned/knockdown. Need a lot of optimization/micromanagement but doable.

image.png.c8e65c99d8483b614ade41fddc104872.png

Even if you manage somehow to kill the first form of Hauani, you can't prevent the merge.

Edited by Kaylon

21 minutes ago, Kaylon said:

Even if you manage somehow to kill the first form of Hauani, you can't prevent the merge.

Like I said in the last post and I will make it more clear, for the first stage, before two gigantic oozie try to merge (which is when one dropped to its half hp), use Lockdown to seal one oozie, which if a hit will last more than 20 sec. Then keep Gambit another one to death since gambit will interrupt and gigantic oozie only has 3 layer of concentration.

For the second stage, there are one gigantic oozie and two masssive one, massive ones merges when their hp drop to 3/4, you need to use Shout of hosts to stun both massive oozie, which if a hit will last more than 13 sec, which is enough to kill one to prevent oozie from merging.

For the last stage, kill the left gignatic one and you need to deal with another pair of massive ones. I use Avenging Storm to burst my dps and use No Quarter from the boots to interrupt both oozie when they try to merge, 5 sec is enough with gambit + avenging storm to kill one of them.

And for the question of corrosive solvent, you have vanishing strike so in most period of battle you are invisible, which means oozie will not use abilities at you, you are untargetable. The only annoying thing is gigantic oozie will wandering around if it can't see you, so if you don't pay attention you hit might be out of range when they wander away.

It's doable, but random factor might ruin the combat, for example u missed your shout, or no quarter didn't hit both oozie and etc, so I'd say the chance is half half to beat hauani.

Edited by dunehunter

3 hours ago, dunehunter said:

Like I said in the last post and I will make it more clear, for the first stage, before two gigantic oozie try to merge (which is when one dropped to its half hp), use Lockdown to seal one oozie, which if a hit will last more than 20 sec. Then keep Gambit another one to death since gambit will interrupt and gigantic oozie only has 3 layer of concentration.

For the second stage, there are one gigantic oozie and two masssive one, massive ones merges when their hp drop to 3/4, you need to use Shout of hosts to stun both massive oozie, which if a hit will last more than 13 sec, which is enough to kill one to prevent oozie from merging.

For the last stage, kill the left gignatic one and you need to deal with another pair of massive ones. I use Avenging Storm to burst my dps and use No Quarter from the boots to interrupt both oozie when they try to merge, 5 sec is enough with gambit + avenging storm to kill one of them.

And for the question of corrosive solvent, you have vanishing strike so in most period of battle you are invisible, which means oozie will not use abilities at you, you are untargetable. The only annoying thing is gigantic oozie will wandering around if it can't see you, so if you don't pay attention you hit might be out of range when they wander away.

It's doable, but random factor might ruin the combat, for example u missed your shout, or no quarter didn't hit both oozie and etc, so I'd say the chance is half half to beat hauani.

There are too many holes and you assume too many things. Without seeing a video I have a very hard time to believe it can be pulled off. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to kill Hauani with my psion/trobadour on POTD solo upscaled +all magran fires challenges except Hylea and Wael in a repeatable/not so risky way I think:
stealth,  trap, lure with sparkcrackers, summon upgraded fire wurms from stealth so you can fast cast valorous echoes + pain link on wurms, repeat until you get Hauani to near death with no risk, go out of stealth, change chant to double many lives  so you have lots of summons to keep hauani pressed, keep on summoning wurms and/or ancient weapons, repeat
1. tactical meld to get aware
2. psychovampiric shield to lower hauani will defense an manage to land borrowed instinct.
3. borrowed instinct
4. Secret Horrors to lower hauani constitution, repeat until you manage to land disintegration
5. disintegration, when it finally lands (took me 4 tries) it should destroy hauani without second stage

[EDIT] oh, and about + deflection items, I bought +7 bracers from Engari near the pool in the temple of toamowhai in SSS expansion, dunno if vendor stock is random but in case it is not it may be of use

Edited by abot
detail
  • Like 1