I'm replaying Deadfire for the first time in a long time- I tried a replay back when the first DLC released, but only made it into a couple hrs of the first DLC before dropping off.

I come back, and there're new subclasses, whoah! 

Is there decent synergy between the Chanter and Fighter(Tactician) for summoning and melee'ing? I know the classic Chanter summon/cast is to go Herald (Troubador/paladin) but I think the tactician idea is quite cool... but I always like being able to cast spells, and summons- Chanter has always been my go-to from a gameplay perspective in PoE1&2. Paladin oaths have been super cool from a roleplay perspective, ofc. (I saw the Ancient druid has super cool summons too, but dont love Druid from an RP perspective unless multiclassed- but then you dont get the 8+9 Ancient summons).

I've been torn whether to play it Real-Time or to try out the new Turn-Based mode- since Real-time means itll take less time to get through the game I'll probably end up going that way.

tl;dr: what's a good way to use Tactician in a summoning Chanter multiclass, or should i just stick with Herald?

Thank you 😄

edit: I'm gonna play on Veteran with upward scaling, with a party- I'm no masochist, though I don't like how the endgame gets a lot easier I heard the DLCs/megabosses stay hard the whole way through.

Edited by igotsmeakabob11

Chanter doesn't need brilliant (tactician), because he regenerates resources anyway. On the other way, tactician won't benefit much from summons if you can't control them. Theese should be used as distraction/meat shields and have tendency, to get flanked. You can resummon them in other place, but it's kinda waste of phrases.

Herald would be better if you want meele chanter multiclass. I, personally, prefer chanter/ranger as summon oriented build - pet+summons tanking on frontline, and watcher sniping from back row.

Alternative for tactican/chanter is tactican/priest of wael. He can tank and riposte with WotEP while casting, have enough engagement slots to not get "body flanked" and Spiritual Ally is quite decent summon (you can increase his engagements by Champion's Boon). And piriests likes brilliant insp. very much 😉.

Thank you for the advice! Would tactician fit with any other summoners, or would it be better fit for a wizard or somesuch? 

I suppose I just saw the fancy new subclasses and wanted a piece of the cool Tactician idea, and I always like having summons in my pocket. 

On 6/27/2020 at 11:48 PM, igotsmeakabob11 said:

Thank you for the advice! Would tactician fit with any other summoners, or would it be better fit for a wizard or somesuch? 

I suppose I just saw the fancy new subclasses and wanted a piece of the cool Tactician idea, and I always like having summons in my pocket. 

You want to combine Tactician with a resource hungry class.

Bloodmage is probably the strongest of all of them, priests prolly come next.

Both wizard and priest have summons btw, technically not as many as a chanter, but if you keep brilliant up (chillfog is quite great for it and ofc flank immune armor or weapon) you will always be able to resummon when a summon runs out.

Also the wizard phantom gets the items you have quipped which makes for some very potent combos, the phantom is definitely stronger than any chanter summon.

• Like 1

A Phantom with Hand Mortar (Blinding Smoke enchantment) can distract enemies in an AoE (which includes flanked) and thus can help to trigger Brilliant Tactician. But the cone has friendly fire. If you put Squid's Grasp or Kapana Taga into the offhand (or wear stuff like Gipon Prudensco) it's also immune to flanking. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods