Amentep

Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Well, they have TIbet and Vietnam and several wars with India.  Probably as bad as the US, just more focused in their neighbourhood.

Hong Kong might "feel" like they got invaded too (even if it was more of a political than a military job)... and I know from Taiwanese friends that they don't necessarily sleep easily at night.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

China doesn't have a reputation for invading other countries though. The US certainly cannot say the same.

Not militarily, but they have a knack for annexing regions economically and influence them culturally. Have you heard of the new Chinese province, Australia?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

China doesn't have a reputation for invading other countries though. The US certainly cannot say the same.

WhatsApp-Image-2020-06-16-at-7.55.16-AM.

Trump-in-the-Way.png?resize=215,300&ssl=Reagan.jpg  Orwell.jpg

China has learned from the best. 🎓🏅🏆

Edited by ktchong

6 hours ago, 213374U said:

That's far from the whole picture though. The success of peaceful Solidarity stems in part from the failures in Czechoslovakia and Hungary that weakened both the influence and resolve of the Soviet leadership to crush yet another anti-communist movement within its sphere of influence. Further, unlike in 1956 and 1968, by 1988 the Soviet Union was in economic dire straits and about to concede defeat in Afghanistan. Poland also received massive economic aid through the SEED act of '89 and the EBRD to become the market economy it is today. Not to mention that political unrest in communist Poland goes back at least two decades before the regime finally fell.

I'm not trying to detract from the massive effort made by Poles to rebuild their country after communism, mind. But they had significant outside help. The underclass in the US don't have any. They barely even have political leaders that truly work for them.

True, that the surrounding environment in the USSR was weak enough to allow this change, but the movement got the increasing support over years because is was targetting apparatus of the state, and not looting and destroying properties of people on every chance for protest. 

6 hours ago, Orogun01 said:

It is still a bit of a mismatch to compare a homogeneous country to the situation of ethnic groups within larger demographics. I honestly can't understand why the need for the comparison.

Careful, you might be putting inadevrtly a good argument that homogenous societies are stronger than diverse ones. 

@Zoraptor

I respect your point of view and it does have merit as well. We can return to this msg in 5-10ys and see how bad both of us predicted the reality. 😉

We both have some assumptions and both can be immensly wrong. 

I'd say, it'll be interesting to look at who will have the most dynamic economic power, who will control most resources and production capabilities, and who will look more stable and show a strength of their culture in a more convincing way. 

a fun bit o obscure political calendar trivia which could become important in january.

new senate is sworn in january 3, 2021. 

new Presidential term begins january 20(?), 2021. might have exact date a bit wrong, but is a minor detail and we didn't bother to double-check.

a new senate could convict trump, preventing him from ever holding future office, even if biden gets elected.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

16 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Yeah, there was very little prejudice in the US back in the 60's and 70's. Everything was bright and nice. :wowey:

So the Balkans are a worst case scenario, but Russia is now the dominant player on the world stage? So does that mean in like 30 years the US will re-emerge on the world stage minus a few bits and pieces? Personally I'm rooting for the Republic of California. We've got some good stuff going for us if we don't fall into the Pacific Ocean.

Generalizing a country made up of 50 separate and unique states as ignorant is not necessarily how I would make my first foray into the politics thread, but welcome aboard!

30 years ago was the 80s. AKA, part of the late 1900s.

I think your old age is showing. 😄

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

6 hours ago, Orogun01 said:

But without US military power, China would likely begin establishing their hegemony over the South East Pacific. Add their investments in Africa and it would give them a sphere of influence that's strategically greater than EU.

Yep, but that is precisely why you'd get the 'South East Asia Treaty Organisation' in response. Their leaderships' insularity makes China monumentally tone deaf when it comes to such things, and while a lot of countries in the region don't like each other much- Japan and ROKorea, for example- an aggressive China would drive them together pdq.

3 hours ago, Skarpen said:

WhatsApp-Image-2020-06-16-at-7.55.16-AM.

Published in several Indian newspapers as their new 'official' map of China, I believe. It's all just passive aggression, but there are real pushes to rename the South and East China seas too which speak to the deep antipathy felt by China's neighbours.

55 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

I respect your point of view and it does have merit as well. We can return to this msg in 5-10ys and see how bad both of us predicted the reality. 😉

Yep.

(Somewhere around 2011, buried in the depths of these forums, there is a post with me confidently predicting that the Arab Spring wouldn't come to Syria. May have got that prediction a bit off...)