Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)

Amentep

47 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I say we get rid of cars and go back to horses. Your car will never be your friend. 

When will the Amish party run?... ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

47 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I say we get rid of cars and go back to horses. Your car will never be your friend. 

My car also won't wake me up at 3:00 AM because the neighbors cat passed by the front yard.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

2 hours ago, Skazz said:

Can't we settle for bicycles?

And end up in a cast like @Hurlshot? No sir! A horse would not have done that to him! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

10 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

And end up in a cast like @Hurlshot? No sir! A horse would not have done that to him! :lol:

I don't know about horses mate.... they are more deadly than all the spiders and snakes combined!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38592390

Edit: "Horses killed more people in Australia in recent years than all venomous animals combined, research has shown."

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

46 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I don't know about horses mate.... they are more deadly than all the spiders and snakes combined!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38592390

Edit: "Horses killed more people in Australia in recent years than all venomous animals combined, research has shown."

Do we have proof Australian horses aren't venomous...?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

18 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Do we have proof Australian horses aren't venomous...?

Damn near everything else is!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

7 hours ago, Orogun01 said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. There was a rise in drug use, breaking and entering, public disturbance, violence, etc, from homeless that were either looking for a score or were mentally ill. Even if a cop was present they couldn't act.

There are definitely elements in  homeless communities  prevalent in many countries that fit this profile. I have personally  seen this since  moving to Cape Town that there are  homeless people involved in the crimes you mentioned 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A bit late... but it looks like someone still thinks old treaties and promises should be kept:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53358330

"US Supreme Court rules half of Oklahoma is Native American land"

21 minutes ago, Gorth said:

A bit late... but it looks like someone still thinks old treaties and promises should be kept:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53358330

"US Supreme Court rules half of Oklahoma is Native American land"

Gorthfuscious, how is the Victoria lockdown going?

Its early days I know but hopefully it slows down the spread and leads to better citizen participation in best virus prevention practice 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

23 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Gorthfuscious, how is the Victoria lockdown going?

Its early days I know but hopefully it slows down the spread and leads to better citizen participation in best virus prevention practice 

I don't live there anymore, so I only have Discord and Whatsapp chats with friends down there to go by, but it looks grim. Despite military deployment (to enforce quarantines) and reintroduction of the most severe lockdown measures, it's exploding in numbers. The other states have now completely closed their borders to Victoria.

As for numbers, comparing my own home state (Queensland) with Victoria::

QLD https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/

VIC  https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus

The reasons or of course never simple, but it looks like the flare ups began in social housing areas where people flaunted the social distancing rules and a college named Al-Taqwa College (I know little to nothing about the latter other than the numbers)

Edit: A bit of info about the Al-Taqwa outbreak:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-09/al-taqwa-college-coronavirus-covid19-cluster-melbourne-truganina/12437584

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I don't live there anymore, so I only have Discord and Whatsapp chats with friends down there to go by, but it looks grim. Despite military deployment (to enforce quarantines) and reintroduction of the most severe lockdown measures, it's exploding in numbers. The other states have now completely closed their borders to Victoria.

As for numbers, comparing my own home state (Queensland) with Victoria::

QLD https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/

VIC  https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus

The reasons or of course never simple, but it looks like the flare ups began in social housing areas where people flaunted the social distancing rules and a college named Al-Taqwa College (I know little to nothing about the latter other than the numbers)

Edit: A bit of info about the Al-Taqwa outbreak:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-09/al-taqwa-college-coronavirus-covid19-cluster-melbourne-truganina/12437584

That Al-Taqwa story is interesting, one of the Victoria spokespeople was saying the increased virus spread is because Oz let 60k citizens return from other countries...Im not sure how accurate this is ?

John Milton 

6 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

That Al-Taqwa story is interesting, one of the Victoria spokespeople was saying the increased virus spread is because Oz let 60k citizens return from other countries...Im not sure how accurate this is ?

Sorry, can't tell you much there (about the figures), as I don't know. But they never barred citizens from returning to Australia. Just about everybody else.

Edit: Just speculating, but it's a possibility that a returning citizen from overseas brought more than just some camera snapshots with them. But at the moment, nobody knows (and claims to the opposite is just guess work at the time of writing)

U.S. town prints own currency to boost coronavirus relief

All I'm sayin' is if I was running that town the new currency would look like this:

fallout-the-boardgame-nuka-cola-full-met

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Thomas Sowell

What's the exchange rate with Sunset Sarsaparilla caps?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

14 hours ago, Amentep said:

My commute would be longer, but it'd probably be worth it. Not sure where I'd corral the horse though while at work. And we'd all have to get used to the smell of horse poop again.

True story, several bridges in town exist solely because train traffic was backing up horse traffic, and in the height of summer the heat and smell was overwhelming.  So they built bridges to go over the train tracks, eventually raising the street level.

there is good reason we moved from horses to cars...

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Great-Horse-Manure-Crisis-of-1894/

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

31 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

What's the exchange rate with Sunset Sarsaparilla caps?

Your Vertibird does not have enough fuel to make that trip. So it won't ever come up :lol:

Thomas Sowell

quick clarification: on the ridiculous "absolute immunity" claim by the doj regarding a sitting President and criminal actions, the Court were 9-0. 

am thinking neal is being a little optimistic 'bout the time frame for the ny case, but will be worth watching.  could we see trump taxes before november? we wouldn't bet any real money on seeing taxes 'fore the election, but it could happen. 

regardless, the cases from a practical pov means even if trump were to get reelected, his serious legal troubles would be just getting started. state courts in multiple jurisdictions were watching scotus close on this and the decisions effective declared prosecutors have an open season on trump. 

one money bet we would take: trump ain't going down as admirable as liam. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I figured I had Trump pegged as being an utter s--tshow before he took office. I did have some hopes he would either accomplish a few things that no career politicians would ever consider or f--k up so terribly Congress would remember it is a co-equal branch of government and push back on executive overreach. Really neither of those things happened so, s--tshow all around. Even during the election the ONLY thing going for him was being slightly less repugnant that Hillary Clinton. This year he does not even have that so it seems really likely he will be shown the door.

So, much is being made of him refusing to leave office if defeated. That tired old story get's dusted off every year by the opposing party. I heard a lot of folks say that about Obama. Hell, in the end I don't think anyone was happier his term was up than he was! So, don't worry about that. That is just left wing rabble rousing and propaganda just like it was right wing before.

The last thing he can do for us on the way out the door is to open the governments closet and let all the skeletons out. He promised to do that if removed from office. The JFK stuff, the Area 51 stuff, the spying stuff, all of it. Let's see what the SOB's have been doing to us all this time. Let's pull back the curtain and see what the wizard really looks like. C'mon Trump. Go out on a high note!

Thomas Sowell

gd will be disappointed.

1) am suspecting any secret worth knowing will get sold to putin and similar.

2) all the real secrets won't be stuff gd thinks o' as conspiracies.

us history suggests only time secrets is maintained is if is only a small number o' folks who know truth, or if secret is banal. is gonna be all kinda secrets, but the juicy stuff is just fodder for imagination o' jerry fletcher and gd.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I remember how almost everyone was certain Hillary would beat Trump (and she did win the popular vote) and how much of a shock everyone had when the dust cleared. In 2020, a year that's already seen a plague and a worldwide wave of anti-police sentiment, I truly have no idea what will happen four months from now or if a bizarre upset will be the weirdest thing to happen this year. All things considered, right now I predict Biden wins because Trump will do something that pisses everyone off, like forcing schools to open and unleashing another wave of the rona or it getting revealed that most of the aid relief went into the pockets of rich folks who happened to be connected to Trump's circle. Regardless, I doubt any major secrets will be publicly revealed or sold and whoever occupies the office in 2021 will be a mentally ill old man with questionable morals.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

12 hours ago, Gorth said:

Sorry, can't tell you much there (about the figures), as I don't know. But they never barred citizens from returning to Australia. Just about everybody else.

Same thing here as well, with lots of complaints about letting NZ citizens in from 'virus hotspots' like Pakistan and India. Of course, about 3/4 of those who have come home infected actually traveled from the UK and US, but that doesn't trigger the average facebook commentator quite as much because they can pretend they were all their nieces and nephews returning from their OE.

Can't legally ban citizens from returning anyway, end of the day they have to be let in unless you're going to do the other stuff the stereotypical FB commentator wants like suspend habeas corpus and give the military (but not that commie Jacinta) power to put civilians into concentration camps- while simultaneously not letting anyone in and reopening the country to overseas travelers.

Edit: Just speculating, but it's a possibility that a returning citizen from overseas brought more than just some camera snapshots with them. But at the moment, nobody knows (and claims to the opposite is just guess work at the time of writing)

There's definitely no proof of the source, but there is some pretty good evidence. It's also politically damaging to the Vic premier, so there's a bit of a scramble to spread the blame.

(For those ouside A/NZ, the most widely circulated rumour is that the minimum wage security guards at Vic isolation facilities completely ignored all the rules, smuggled people in and out of quarantine and even slipped the odd guest the 3" saveloy on the sly; and at least one of the guests they were, to use that most charming ocker phrase, 'rooting', did indeed bring back more little virusy friends than H.simplex. The bonking part is not confirmed, but a very suspicious number of guards have got sick, early in the renewed outbreak, enough that them ignoring the rules and being the source of the renewed outbreak is the most plausible source so far.

Heh. So now Trump is postponing  the New Hampshire rally because of "the weather"....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The best thing about Trump is that it gets all the crybabies and hypocrites to show themselves. He's a piece of garabge. His opponents are pieces of garbage.  I get to laugh at both. Then cry when I realize I have PM Blackface as 'my leader'. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

dxmkcq8r23a51.jpg

Even though this photo has an obvious devil horns thing going on (I'm shocked nobody noticed it before releasing it), he looks so tired, haggard, and...human?, that I realized I somehow still feel a shred of empathy towards the man. I wonder by how many years being president will shorten his lifespan from all the stress and such. It can't have been worth it.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Don't you have to do work at a job to be stressed by it ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra