Desperados 3 Hype Train

Hardest difficulty pacifist/minimum kills run here I come!

451bn4.jpg

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

9 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

hope this game doesn't have the dishonor problem of limited tranq dart ammo

It seems you can tie down everyone on the map if you want. However, going nonlethal will cut a decent amount of fun abilities. 

EDIT: I might for one am not a big fan. I kinda liked how tough Shadow Tactics made nonlethal attempts. I do prefer if lethal and non-lethal play differently rather then being effectively the same. (golden example: Inv Inc)

Edited by Wormerine

The fact that non-lethal is that much more difficult is why I'm going to try it. This is one of the very very very few game genres I'm actually good at. In most other games I stick to normal difficulty or even drop it to easy/casual, on account of sucking.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

14 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Where's the monkey?

Ubisoft stole the monkey to use in Beyond Good & Evil 2, releasing in 2047.

• Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Ah never mind, conflicting web pages. Thought the demo ceased to be available as of the 15th.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Skazz said:

Where's the monkey?

No Mr. Leone. Just vodoo.

It's a prequel so not all characters make an appearance. 

So far so good, though I didn't get much farther then the demo. They are just as subtle with their Once Upon a Time in the West "inspiration", as Desp1 was with Trilogy of Dollars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing annoys me. They botched real-showdown mode.

It seems a bit of code from stop-time showdown hasn't been exorcised and your character still freezes while the rest of the world goes on. That sucks, as I rather prefer playing in pure real-time. 

That cuts any advantage real time might have had. Hopefully it is not intended and it will be fixed, but I did flag the issue after playing the demo 2 weeks ago :-(

I have to admit that I like to do some of the set-piece kills just to see them, like

making the bull kill a guy.

Then I reload my last quick save and do it non-lethal style.

• Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Showdown mode has soo many issues, but so far so good. There are also some really unintuitive quirks with some badges.

Like to get "kill all" badge for the wedding level, you have to clean the map twice, as the level consist of two sequences and some enemies are exclusive to the first sequence only.

Actually, there might even be another extra kill one needs to do. I spend good few could hours trying to tick that one off the list.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the first Desperados.  I hated it.  It was essentially a trial-and-error puzzle game.  There was a certain way to solve a puzzle, and you kept trying different ways until you found that right way to solve a puzzle and get passed an obstacle, and then you moved on to the next puzzle.

• Gasp! 1

9 hours ago, ktchong said:

It was essentially a trial-and-error puzzle game.  There was a certain way to solve a puzzle.

That’s not true, especially later in the game once you have more characters to play with. I played through desp1 multiple times, and with every time I do things differently. 

it is, however, vague on how things works - enemy cone of sight and gun damage are never properly explained, and stuff like range and detection speed vary level to level. Stuff like noisy surfaces aren’t well highlighted. As such it will include a lot of failure, with no real fault of the player. 

Desp3 is much more clear and consistent, which means player has all they need to success. It does have puzzle like quality to it, but there are no encouraged solutions outside tutorial bits. Doing right now no save runs, and they are quite fun as they encourage more careful approach. 

*not entirely true. 

This genre started with Commandos and that is pretty much a puzzle game (I always hated it when folks compared the game to Jagged Alliance, just because you command a group of soldiers). However, Desperados does indeed loosen the strings a bit and allows for more freedom in your approach. Commandos 2 and 3 went down the same road later. 

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For the completion sake:

and

I suppose now Mimimi is off to whatever the next project will be. If their steam comments are t9 be trusted they are planning to stay within the genre. I just hope they will shake things up. I think Shadow Tactics and Desperados3 sucked the current design dry. Good stuff, but I will need something fresh to be on board for the third time. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nice game -- the (German?) retail also comes with a nice package, almost book-like, including a small artbook. I didn't play much of neither Commandos nor Desparados back in the day.. as such I'm stuck in mission 6 already. 😄

Speaking of which, those missions are great in size. 

As of Mimimi's next project, they've received 2 million Euros in funding from the German government already. 

Edited by Sven_
  • Thanks 1