What Are You Playing Now: The New Beginning Thread

None of them are bad.

Except for Smuggler from Act 2 onward. Act 1 Smuggler is great. Then they ran out of ideas and just throw you a personal nemesis your character has no reason to care about. On top of that, the starting companion for Smuggler is also rather bland.

I like the Imperial Agent storyline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

25 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Installing The Old Republic. Haven't tried it since release pretty much. Which classes have the most RPGish/fun storylines?

Imperial Agent

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Taking it slow in Fell Seal, training up my expanding roster of characters.

Got my first "secret" class, turning one of my dudes into a Werewolf.

Just randomly looted a phylactery, so looking forward to turning a sorcerer into a Lich.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

5 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Installing The Old Republic. Haven't tried it since release pretty much. Which classes have the most RPGish/fun storylines?

Like the others said, Imperial Agent is really good.

Sith Warrior is a lot of fun if played light side.

Stay away from the Consular and Bounty Hunter for the moment. They're among the weaker ones.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

16 minutes ago, majestic said:

Like the others said, Imperial Agent is really good.

Sith Warrior is a lot of fun if played light side.

Stay away from the Consular and Bounty Hunter for the moment. They're among the weaker ones.

Light side Sith Warrior?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

13 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Yeah, you can be a goody two-shoes sith or a jerkface jedi.

all jedi are jerkfaces, but goody sith is news to me

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Chilloutman said:

all jedi are jerkfaces, but goody sith is news to me

Bit of a misnomer. Only "good" by comparison to your peers who are all of the chaotic stupid denomination and can't seem to stop twirling their mustaches for long enough to realize that most of their "dark side" schemes are more self-defeating and hare-brained than anything.

LS Sith Warrior is just someone who doesn't force choke his underlings because they dropped their car keys during a presentation, and who isn't offended by the idea that a defeated enemy can be useful for anything more than being stabbed with your lightsaber.

LS Sith Warrior is perhaps best represented by the -also Biowarian but otherwise unrelated- quote: "You can either fight at my side or get crushed under my heel. But you will not stand in my way."

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yes. Unless you are for some reason interested in raiding or the PVP (and you'd have to be crazy), I would just recommend you quit while you're ahead and uninstall the whole thing after you've completed the original class stories. Expansion content beyond Shadow of Revan is just bad, fanfic level melodrama and the endgame gearing is a complete rng fiesta. Oh, and crafting is also broken.

• Haha 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Can't settle on anything.

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers has hit a lull where I need to start grinding levels.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy is fun, but repetitive enough I don't want to overindulge.

Cryostasis, an old horror game I never managed to really play due to high demand on systems. Well, it's still not hooking me even though it feels like an older Frictional Games title with none of the interesting backstory.

Get Even has some interesting stuff going on, but not enough to feel like more than a Tom Clancy shooter with some horror/thriller bits. Those horror/thriller bits are what I like, but I just spent an entire level infiltrating an office building and there was none of it.

Yuppie Psycho. Cool idea, but I'm not really sold by the moment to moment stuff.

I gave up on Rime. Fascinating environs, but not much else going for it.

Wolfenstein: The New Order, already played myself tired of it so it's not exciting to come back to.

I did play Frog Fractions and rather enjoyed it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

42 minutes ago, 213374U said:

and who isn't offended by the idea that a defeated enemy can be useful for anything more than being stabbed with your lightsaber.

That first group thing when you capture the traitor general. Dark Side: execute him on the spot. Light Side: hand him to imperial intelligence to torture him for information before executing him.

As an Imperial Agent the first choice should get you fired...

Imperial Agent should be played last, because, a) best story, others might seem kinda lacking in comparison, b) after finishing other stories, you will likely ask yourself "Why and more importantly how a bunch of idiot space wizards with long term planning capabilities of an angry toddler (and tantrum prone like one as well) can make, let alone maintain an empire?" Well, Agent story asks those questions too, so you might be nodding in agreement along the plot. :yes:

Disagree about Bounty Hunter and Jedi Consular though. Consular's story is kinda disjointed between Act 1 and 2 and the super uninspired voice acting does them disservice, but being a Jedi diplomat was fun, especially compared to that juvenile wish fulfillment fantasy that passes for the Jedi Knight's story. And I loved those catty diplomats who hanged around the ship and offered comments after every mission. (Also I find Shadow/Assassin DPS class very much fun to play).

Bounty Hunter I will love always for their habit to disrespect space wizards and their hockey religions all the time. Even their ship looks like it's double flipping the bird:

ship.jpg

• Like 3

That's why Act 1 of the Smugger is so great. It completely ignores the space wizards, the war and everything, while concentrating on the one question the smuggler desperately needs an answer to: "Dude, where is my spaceship?"

56 minutes ago, melkathi said:

It completely ignores the space wizards, the war and everything

Yeah, I played Smuggler first and had a good time with it. If the entire movie series was like that I might bring myself to not dislike Star Wars. :ninja:

I tried the other classes afterwards, getting to level 10-20ish in each, but nothing really grabbed me and that was it for the game for a long time. Eventually I played a Jedi 1-50 run in co-op with my sister, with me playing the Consular. It was, eh, fine I guess. Probably not ideal to play another Republic class but it wasn't my choice.

Oh right, I did get an Inquisitor to 30-odd while only playing story missions during one of those big bonus XP weeks. I don't think I could ever play the game again without an XP bonus because it's just so incredibly better when you can avoid the hundreds of standard MMO filler quests.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

2 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Oh right, I did get an Inquisitor to 30-odd while only playing story missions during one of those big bonus XP weeks. I don't think I could ever play the game again without an XP bonus because it's just so incredibly better when you can avoid the hundreds of standard MMO filler quests.

Well, you could always pay the $10-15 a month to make that xp bonus permanent.

22 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Well, you could always pay the $10-15 a month to make that xp bonus permanent.

I did subscribe for once upon a time, to get the preferred status perks. But that was back when Origin Mexico were selling subscription packs for heavily discounted prices, which is a loophole that's since been closed.

Looking at the event history, there was an 8-week double XP period that only ended a month or so ago, so it's probably not hard to catch one for people not in a rush. It's not like this content has changed in, wow, it's been nearly nine years now.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

When I first watched Star Wars back when I was a wee lad I was all about the Jedi, because what kid doesn't like space wizards? As I've grown older, at some point (probably when I realized how stupid the Jedi were) it flipped and now I find the Jedi and Sith to be the absolutely least interesting aspect of the Star Wars universe. If I were to play SW:TOR it would definitely be a non-Force user class. Is it f2p? If so, how in your face are the microtransactions?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

IA story was great only for the fact I got to kill a man in front of his wife and then her as well. 

Cleared my mission in Caesar 3, the next one is funny as wolves are killing all my immigrants, forgot to wall them off (and make the wolves pay for it!).  Luckily  I have 20k of personal wealth so that's going to save me - when I first played this when younger I never paid myself anything as I needed to pinch pennies, hah.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

30 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

When I first watched Star Wars back when I was a wee lad I was all about the Jedi, because what kid doesn't like space wizards? As I've grown older, at some point (probably when I realized how stupid the Jedi were) it flipped and now I find the Jedi and Sith to be the absolutely least interesting aspect of the Star Wars universe. If I were to play SW:TOR it would definitely be a non-Force user class. Is it f2p? If so, how in your face are the microtransactions?

It's F2P for the base game and the first two expansions, so levels 1-60. But there's such a huge gulf in quality between the base game and the expansions that it may as well not matter: you go from eight fairly well-defined stories, to all classes being funneled into the same story, one for each faction (so two overall). You want the 1-50 experience for each class, then if you still want more of the game (I didn't), just continue onto the expansions with one of them.

The details of the F2P restrictions have changed a bit since I last played, but the basic idea is that you have three tiers of players: subscribers, "preferred" players, and pure F2P players. Preferred status is given to anyone who has spent money on the game at any point, whether that be in the form of a lapsed subscription, or microtransactions.

I remember the pure F2P mode being incredibly restrictive, with something as basic as having enough hotbars available for all your skills being locked out, a hard limit on the number of active characters you could have, and the various forms of Quick Travel had much longer cooldowns. Back then I would definitely have said that being Preferred was essential just to make the game playable for me. They've since added, uh, one extra hotbar, but I don't know if that'd be enough.

EDIT: Subscribing for a month would be the best way to get Preferred status, because it gives you access to all expansions currently released, and access is kept after the subscription lapses.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I heard f2p is less atrocious now than it used to be but that's not much of a praise since it was truly atrocious. Preferred status -- you get it by subbing once or buying something from game shop for real money -- is plenty enough if you don't plan to do end game raids or play Space Barbie by buying grossly overpriced garb from the game market. I'd say you try f2p and see if it works for you, if not then you can sub once for 15$, let the sub run out, then note what annoys you in preferred mode and then click on someone's referral link to get a free subscription week with all the  perks so that you could buy missing QoL elements using game's currency.

Microtransactions aren't too obnoxious in my improved preferred mode, but I remember ftp being like, *click anywhere* -- "LOL nope, this feature's unavailable to you, El Cheapo, now only if you subscribed..." No idea if they ditched this when remaking the f2p.

Edited by bugarup
muh typoz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1