What Are You Playing Now: The New Beginning Thread

On 7/29/2020 at 9:00 PM, melkathi said:

I have played quite a bit of Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark now. The game made a very good first impression on me, so I bought the DLC which expands it greatly.

I recommend it to people who enjoy this kind of tactics game. It doesn't seem to have the kind of secrets that require multiple playthroughs, you'd get in a Japanese game of the style (Tactics Ogre comes to mind), and so far I have not encountered a single choice in the story. Though I am not sure how far in I am. The game gives a strong Kickstarter vibe, so it may be shorter story-wise than it would be with a big studio behind it.

I'm glad to hear that.  It's a game I was quite interested in, but when I saw them releasing DLC, I figured I'd wait until the full game was out, and then buy the complete version (which is almost the only way I buy games any more.)

As to what I'm playing, I'm just glad to be playing anything.  I'd been without a PC since the end of April (finally got everything worked out 2 days ago), and I don't have a console, so I've been trying to scratch the itch with mobile games (strictly free to play, though.)

Today, I've finally started Journey on my PS4, after many recommendations from my friends. And I have to say, I am much more than impressed by this game. Took me just little bit over 2 hours to finish it solo, but this game easily blown away most of the games I've seen and played last few years. This game is artistic masterpiece and it is unbelievably relaxing to play after more than a month Dark Souls 😄

I will probably do some trophy hunting online later today :)

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

1 hour ago, Mamoulian War said:

Today, I've finally started Journey on my PS4, after many recommendations from my friends. And I have to say, I am much more than impressed by this game. Took me just little bit over 2 hours to finish it solo, but this game easily blown away most of the games I've seen and played last few years. This game is artistic masterpiece and it is unbelievably relaxing to play after more than a month Dark Souls 😄

I will probably do some trophy hunting online later today :)

Got a "super meh" from me when I played it last month, but given my very minuscule appreciation for visual storytelling and characterless artsy-fartsy crap, that probably makes sense.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Started a few games of Civ4 but after completing one of them I felt I had enough. Went and finally bought Gathering Storm for Civ6, but not sure when I'll get around to it - might look around for a tutorial video first.

Played a bit of Euro Truck Sim 2 again, but quickly found out I have no real enthusiasm for trucking around the outdated German countryside again, so I think I'll wait for the Iberia expansion to go live. I don't own the Baltic or Black Sea expansions either but they seem kinda out of the way.

I think I also failed to mention previously that I finished both of the Lara Croft and the Something of Something games in co-op. Kinda glitchy but well worth the time. I've never played any of the mainline Tomb Raider games and have no intention too, but I'd like to see more in this series, as unlikely a prospect as it might seem.

Aside, I went and cleaned up my email inbox and came across my Dead State backer key which was sent out in 2014 and which I never registered, so I fixed that now. I really should do an audit of old unclaimed keys just sitting in my inbox since unlike the ones in my Humble account or whatever, these can easily get lost. Speaking of which, I might finally have to register an EGS account so I can register my Phoenix Point key, so it doesn't suffer the same fate as that Dead State key. I also cleaned up the dozens of Elite Dangerous newsletters then wondered where the hell my copy was. After a bit of hunting around I remembered that it was just a standalone launcher you get from the publisher and not tied to any of the common online platforms. Whoops.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Got a "super meh" from me when I played it last month, but given my very minuscule appreciation for visual storytelling and characterless artsy-fartsy crap, that probably makes sense.

I do not understand that myself 😄 I usually loathe walking simulators, but this one is really enjoyable. Maybe because it is not just walking around 🙂

37 minutes ago, Mamoulian War said:

I do not understand that myself 😄 I usually loathe walking simulators, but this one is really enjoyable. Maybe because it is not just walking around 🙂

It was a little more involved than just a plainjane walking simulator...but not by too much. Media that is heavily driven by themes and/or basic feelings or impressions usually bore me to tears, and...well, yeah.

• Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Maybe I wll go play Majesty

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Completed the game. It holds very well despite the age (used the Unofficial Patch). I am going to replay it soon and look forward to VtMB2.

Code Vein. Completed the game. For what it's worth, it was well optimized, the PC controls were comfortable and customizable, the AI companions were adequate (i.e. could play about 70% of the game by themselves), the combat was pretty decent (Souls-like, but I could not feel the impact of the weapon), build variety was impressive. The level design, story, lore and everything role-play related were plainly terrible or non-existent. How this got "Very Positive" rating on Steam I fail to understand.
Some of the achievements did not trigger, so now I am running solo with my OP PC (same NG) cycle to collect them and skipping all cut-scenes.

About Dark Souls 2 DLC. They must be experienced.

Spoiler

Nothing can be compared to getting lost in a blizzard among respawning lightning deer.

Also some sections are meant to be played in coop. They are solo-able and there are summons, though.

• Like 3

When Mirabell hit level 16 in LotRO, she acquired the challenge skill; it's a taunt, standard tank skill. It has her raise up her weapon and yell "Aaaaaaaaaaa!" in the most hilarious voice. Since I'm soloing, the skill is functionally useless, on account of the fact that all the enemies will be attacking me anyway, but I use the challenge skill every chance I get because I find the yell endlessly entertaining. :lol:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm installing Elder Scrolls Online (which I accidentally "bought" when I forgot to pause Humble Monthly a couple years ago) onto a 2.5" portable hard disk. This may not go well, but I'm bored enough to try.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I was watching World record Dark Souls 2 speedrun today, and I laughed thinking about my suckage all the way until Aldia 😄

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Malcador said:

Maybe I wll go play Majesty

Well played a bit, realized the downside to 2 monitors is I think I am scrolling left and end up on the other monitor, hah.  Ah well, is fun so far, I'm running my own MMO...right down to moron DPS rogues.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well played a bit, realized the downside to 2 monitors is I think I am scrolling left and end up on the other monitor, hah.  Ah well, is fun so far, I'm running my own MMO...right down to moron DPS rogues.

Yeah, lots of older games don't have captured mouse and no way to specify it, e.g. Infinity Engine games. Can be annoying.

20 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I feel like the only thing rogues are good for is the Extort button in the guild. And the fact that they're essentially a cheaper, faster path to a Palace upgrade.

Other than that, well...

leave my gold alone leave my gold alone leave my gold alone my ambition has paid off leave my gold alone

Also: Fervus is love, Fervus is life.

Edited by Skazz

New Vegas. Again. With INT 2 (initially 1, but couldn't resist "the plant") and CHA 1 character (and yet who somehow resembles an actual not too hideous human being instead of potato head, got really lucky here).  The hoops NPCs make you jump through when you can't schmooze your way past speech checks. 😡 Met some new people this way though. Discovered an annoying double cursor bug that got solved by getting a new mousepad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also, playing on that hardcore mode and Arcade died to snakepuppies, so instead of reloading I decided to double down and sacrificed Cass to the Van Graffs, also thinking of serving someone to the fellow cannibals White Gloves. I wonder if they'd prefer Boone or Veronica? 🤔 And yet, with all the dickery, long pig cuisine and stupiding, I still cannot force myself to do the Legion run.

Wish I could understand how to play that bloody Caravan too.

• Like 3

Alternating between a game in progress on Master of Orion 2 and War in Russia. Dosbox ftw.

Edit: Playing the Soviet side in WiR this time. Waiting desperately for the first rain (or snow) to slow down the German panzer divisions before I get steam rolled.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Before I start playing Divinity 2 I decided to do something very unusual for me and play a much older but very famous RPG, Daggerfall which  I have never played before as I stopped PC gaming from about 1998-2005 so I missed out in certain classic RPG like Fallout1&2

Also I am also one of those games who embrace and invest in the advancement of modern games and I love the aesthetics, mechanics and structures of modern games.....Elder scroll games, Witcher series, RDR2. Modern games are great and offer us real and continued entertainment 

And sometimes the nostalgic allure of classic RPGs needs to stay in your memory because if you replay  a classic game you must accept how your patience and view of certain gaming realities  will have changed and you dont want to be unfairly critical of something that was amazing in its day but nowadays may be seen and more cumbersome than fun

But of course the classic games can still be brilliant and I am playing Daggerfall Unity so it has lots of updates and graphic enhancements....its such a huge game and I am enjoying how little information you have in the beginning and how you just start in a dungeon. I am going to continue playing it and maybe I wont finish the final quest because the game is apparently super long but its a great way to see how classic RPG use to be made and I appreciate the details and depth 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Decided to jump back to my old Caesar 3 save, realized my markets are busted as there is a food priority I never knew about, so my market ladies walk halfway across the map to get vegetables and ignore the granary full of meat.  This delays their supplying pottery and furniture to houses and holds me back, gah.