What Are You Playing Now: The New Beginning Thread

On 7/26/2020 at 5:44 PM, 213374U said:

I'm back to Dungeons & Dragons Online after I found out that they are giving away all adventure packs and both expansions can be purchased for less than half a month's sub stipend..

Ah, the feeling of not having the faintest idea of what I'm doing in a game where I used to run high end content.

DDO is still alive?

I genuinely thought it was long gone, like, say, Warhammer Online. Huh.

On that note, I miss Warhammer Online. It had the dwarfiest dwarves to ever dwarf.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

Both LotrO and DDO are run by Standing Stone Games, which is basically a small group of Turbine employees that broke away and bought the rights to the games from WB/Turbine. I guess they couldn't get the rights to the Asheron's Call games. They've continued to release content and support the games. 

It's a shame that they don't have the resources to tackle a new project, as I tend to view them as the best of the old school MMORPG guard. I don't know how successful they are, but they do well enough to keep the lights on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Skazz said:

DDO is still alive?

I guess it technically is. However I can't speak to the amount of content they are releasing, if any. Been away far too long.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

2 hours ago, 213374U said:

I guess it technically is. However I can't speak to the amount of content they are releasing, if any. Been away far too long.

12 hours ago, Skazz said:

DDO is still alive?

Ravenloft released just a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it's still up and running and getting updates and expansions.

Borderlands 3 - apparently they patched the game so Legendaries now appear in vending machines.  Of course I had to check that out, and yup, they sure do.  Way too often.  Sometimes 5 at a time. Seriously Monty Hall. And they're pretty cheap to purchase, as well.  Of course, those very rare ones (with the parts/Annointments you want) would still be very rare and likely better off still farming certain bosses for those few (the Legendary loot pool is too RNG large and most are trash).  Still ... they really need to lower the odds for the machines. Must be like 30%-40% chance to spawn one/more. 

It does however make it easier to get some Mayhem10 Legendaries, since you can farm machines and not fight a single thing, until you get something that can help survive M10 to farm bosses for the ideal things/versions.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

18 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

Ravenloft released just a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it's still up and running and getting updates and expansions.

The Sharn expansion was released just last year and there is one supposedly coming out this year called Feywild.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Got my Kul Tiran to 110 in WoW so I got the fancy pirate gear...totally unsuitable for a plate wearer, but is something.  Think I'll finally try to learn HOI 4 next.  Also still plodding along with Brno, did get a good laugh out of being awarded €450 for advancing in a tournament.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Mirabell hit level 15 in LotRO and with that I was able to give her a surname. My original plan was to make her a Hornblower from South Farthing, but apparently that surname, along with many of the popular hobbit surnames, is locked. Instead, I made her a Longhole from Bree, so I'll also buy a personal house in the Bree-Lands to stay close to my family.

I'm also pretty much tapped out in The Shire, so I guess I'll move on to one of the other starting areas.

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I cant get this out of my head!

also some comments there are gold:

Me: after round number 3 with the GF: "The flesh is weak!" She: pulls out a Vibrator "The Omnissiah provides!"
Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I have played quite a bit of Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark now. The game made a very good first impression on me, so I bought the DLC which expands it greatly.

I recommend it to people who enjoy this kind of tactics game. It doesn't seem to have the kind of secrets that require multiple playthroughs, you'd get in a Japanese game of the style (Tactics Ogre comes to mind), and so far I have not encountered a single choice in the story. Though I am not sure how far in I am. The game gives a strong Kickstarter vibe, so it may be shorter story-wise than it would be with a big studio behind it.

• Like 4

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

On 7/28/2020 at 4:15 PM, Hurlshot said:

Both LotrO and DDO are run by Standing Stone Games, which is basically a small group of Turbine employees that broke away and bought the rights to the games from WB/Turbine. I guess they couldn't get the rights to the Asheron's Call games. They've continued to release content and support the games. 

It's a shame that they don't have the resources to tackle a new project, as I tend to view them as the best of the old school MMORPG guard. I don't know how successful they are, but they do well enough to keep the lights on.

Would be nice if they'd get their hands on the EverQuest games (and roll back the last few EverQuest 2 expansions...).

One needs to have dreams... *sigh*

Have been playing some WH40K Inquisitor - Martyr. It's enjoyable enough, though I have my doubt of how it will hold up after I've finished the storyline.

9 minutes ago, marelooke said:

Would be nice if they'd get their hands on the EverQuest games (and roll back the last few EverQuest 2 expansions...).

One needs to have dreams... *sigh*

Have been playing some WH40K Inquisitor - Martyr. It's enjoyable enough, though I have my doubt of how it will hold up after I've finished the storyline.

Everquest 2 does have some classic servers where they are slowly introducing the expansions. They actually started doing that before WoW. LotRO has one of those servers too, but I haven't tried it. The grind is fun for the first 20 levels or so, but then it gets super grindy.

I finally finished my first playthrough of Deadfire. I went TB, and played the same priest I had in PoE1. I went it alone on the last battle, but I think I will play it again and side with the Principi, led by Aldeys or whatever her name is.

Tried to play WoW Classic,  forgot how truly awful the Paladin was and why I was on IRC so much while leveling (not much input neded).  Still is fun to visit the old zones and catch a bit of the nostalgia, but I am not as hardcore as I was back in 2005. 

Still plodding along with Brno, at least I feel I will avoid relegation in this season, unlike real life Brno 😛  Still trying to find a good tactic, the league worships 4-2-3-1 2DM, so I had thought playing 4-1-3-2 with Inside Forwards might work but I guess my players are total crap - the game where I had 14 attempts on net and 0 on target is a telling thing, hah.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

Tried to play WoW Classic,  forgot how truly awful the Paladin was and why I was on IRC so much while leveling (not much input neded).  Still is fun to visit the old zones and catch a bit of the nostalgia, but I am not as hardcore as I was back in 2005.

I was a bit disappointed that Classic players didn't get the full Paladin package. Having a damage only Holy Shock as Holy ultimate or 5 minute Blessing of Kings as Protection ultimate. Those were the days. *nod*

In all seriousness I tried playing Classic for a bit and got my Holy Paladin to like level 56 before I quit. Ain't nobody got time for this. That was fun back in the day* because I was working a brain dead part time job, but now that real life has me firm in its terrible grasp I'll just risk being called a filthy casual (although Classic is easy, just slooooow) but being able to get around the world a lot quicker was sure a blessing of the later expansions. Alas, Andorhal, you won't see me again so quickly. :p

*Gotta admit I played a lot more Everquest 2 than WoW though. I quit early in Classic as most of my friends played EQ2 exclusively. EQ2 used to be the more interesting MMO, imo.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

15 hours ago, majestic said:

I was a bit disappointed that Classic players didn't get the full Paladin package. Having a damage only Holy Shock as Holy ultimate or 5 minute Blessing of Kings as Protection ultimate. Those were the days. *nod*

In all seriousness I tried playing Classic for a bit and got my Holy Paladin to like level 56 before I quit. Ain't nobody got time for this. That was fun back in the day* because I was working a brain dead part time job, but now that real life has me firm in its terrible grasp I'll just risk being called a filthy casual (although Classic is easy, just slooooow) but being able to get around the world a lot quicker was sure a blessing of the later expansions. Alas, Andorhal, you won't see me again so quickly. :p

*Gotta admit I played a lot more Everquest 2 than WoW though. I quit early in Classic as most of my friends played EQ2 exclusively. EQ2 used to be the more interesting MMO, imo.

Yeah the pre-1.9 Paladin would separate the boys from the men.  I am amazed I did that back in the day with Holy Paladin and on a PVP server. 21 DAYS to hit 60, hah.   I mainly play for that nostalgia feel, really.  It is funny though to read people in chat sneering at retail and somehow thinking vanilla was "hard" - people are downing Ony naked or doing MC with 50s 😛 

strange, i usually enjoy most the leveling process in any MMO, once i hit top level it all seems boring from now on, thats maybe the thing which i liked about old WoW (even if I hated that graphic style)

21 days seems like nothing really

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That's 21 days played, though, think I played a ridiculous amount for 2.5 months (when I get to 110 having less than 2 days /played I laugh).  I always enjoy the leveling but, I guess what makes this more painful than before was I am now alone, whereas 15 years ago I did alongside 7-8 school friends.  Add in the fact I've done this all before many times, sort of a anctipatory mental fatigue sets in as I recall "Oh crap I have to do this PITA quest..".  

Yeah, I started with no friends, so it was no surprise I quit the game after the "free" month expired. I hit level 40 in that month, not too hard as a rogue even if I tried to play the early levels as a ranged rogue. Yeah, that didn't work out long term...

Later signed up for another month to get to 60 because I was bored, and stuck around only because a couple of people decided to befriend me for whatever reason. Sometimes I wish they hadn't - it would have saved me thousands, if not tens-of-thousands of hours of my life. :ninja:

• Haha 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Grounded - I decided to pick it up because I love Obsidian. I played for about an hour and it was delightful. It is still early access, but the basics of exploration, crafting, and building are all there and it is a treat. I have put a ton of hours into Conan Exiles over the last year, and this has that same sense of exploration, only it is a way less violent and dark setting. Instead it is a fun trip into the backyard. It seems to be very playable as a single player game, so that removed my biggest concern. There does seem to be a decent story line to follow. It seems like it is going to be well worth my $30.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I thought you had Game Pass? You can grab it for free. I've installed it but haven't been able to bring myself to launch the game yet

I dropped the Game Pass awhile ago. I'd still rather play things on Steam. Heck, I'll probably buy Outer Worlds once it comes out there, even though I played through it already. Hopefully Avowed will come out on both at the same time.  

I just bought the Grounded game.  It's a Steam special right now. I also broke down and bought Halo Master Chief's selction of soemthing like that.  I've played a little.  The action is too fast.  Not that it's hard, but there's no thinking about what to do or anything.  You just kind of run and gun.  I kind of miss DOOM levels and whatnot.  I'll try Grounded after I get it downloaded and see how Obsidian's latest endeavor works for me.

EDIT:  the mouse is a little too sensitive, but I'm going to try to get used to it before I adjust.  Being able to turn quickly is good as long as motion sickness doesn't get me and I don't over react.  I might have to tone it down.

Edited by MedicineDan

"Not for the sake of much time..."

On 6/14/2020 at 12:33 PM, Oner said:

Technically he sends you to destroy the baddies, the loot you pick up just helps further that goal. It's not like you can spend it on martinis and blackjack for yourself.

Ya know I don't know how to play so how do you play a game please tell me please and thank you