Coronavirus: Triple Edition

Amentep

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I kinda feel like the 2nd wave, spike, whatever you want to call it, we're having here in Murica was inevitable.

wish it were a second wave, but it is likely just a spike from stoopid. perhaps call it an American hump?

am agreeing such were inevitable 'cause o' American decentralization and stoopid-in-the-guise-of-individualism. our first post in the original covid-19 thread had not only the frank drebin clip, but also mocked the inevitability o' resistance to sane mitigation guidelines. we claimed the predictable protesters would legitimize such resistance 'cause, "next thing you know, they will be coming after our guns." 

what surprised us, and is true inconceivable for us to have made such a mistake, but we assumed trump, as all previous Presidents in living memory, would make an attempt at unifying the country to deal with the crisis. there is a natural/unnatural and predictable rally-to-the-flag moment following every crisis in this nation. folks beyond our borders is disturbed by seeming ubiquitous displays o' patriotism by Americans, but such also has us tending to unify (sometimes to an admitted scary degree) when a perceived threat arises. 

didn't happen in 2020. covid-19 rally-to-the-flag were a stillbirth abomination which died almost instantaneous. 

yes, even with genuine leadership and unity, there woulda' nevertheless been far too many who rejected calls for sacrifice in the name o' a greater cause. is not a bad impulse. a few more such folks rejecting fear as a reason to suppress liberties and we wouldn't have been stuck with the Patriot act. the thing is, this time we had the President active encouraging those sons o' liberty to reject The State and its guidelines, and the threat weren't some kinda possible/maybe threat from afar, but rather a disease, immune to ideology, which were already entrenched and spreading in the US, killing hundreds and thousands every day. 

the terrible reality is those hardcore libertarians who refuse to wear masks and social distance in 2020, would be far more willing to sacrifice if the threat were once again some kinda possible threat from a source which could convenient and comfortable be labeled as islamic extremism.

give trump credit for reading tea leaves correct. particular after his oval office speech and the first couple covid-19 task force briefings, trump recognized that his aspirations for a second term would not be successful if he sought to bring together a nation he had worked so hard to divide for three years. trump's only chance were to solidify his base and hope for a miracle. IF covid-19 evaporated in the summer like the flu typical does, trump could win. IF the economy were able to shake off the impact o' covid-19 by september/october, then trump could win. IF hydroxy were a miracle drug...

trump knows he needs gamble to win, and he is willing to gamble with tens of thousands of american lives. trump will continue to divide the nation and solidify his base while simultaneous gaslighting x1000 and hoping for a miracle. 

yeah, we would see a spike regardless 'cause Americans is Americans-- better and worse. would be many who did not trust cdc or President or government puppets with advanced medical degrees. such distrust isn't a bad thing, but this time the distrust following the rally-to-the-flag moment were encouraged by the President and his reasons were transparent mercenary. spike wouda' been much smaller if almost any other 2016 major candidate had successful won the Presidency. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So not unpredictably, many of the states where you had a ton of protests against SIP and masks are seeing a big jump in cases. Here is a pic from a protest in Austin, Texas:

_113139187_tv062187309.jpg

Do you think there is a chance that these guys look at this pic and think,"ok, this is a bad look. I'll calm down on this whole mask thing."?

No, I guess self-reflection is probably too much to ask. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

So not unpredictably, many of the states where you had a ton of protests against SIP and masks are seeing a big jump in cases. Here is a pic from a protest in Austin, Texas:

Do you think there is a chance that these guys look at this pic and think,"ok, this is a bad look. I'll calm down on this whole mask thing."?

intransigence over masks does make us concerned 'bout a vaccine. many o' these jokers already trend towards the antivaxer idiocy, and is only gonna take a slight nudge from their respected radio and tv personalities to convince those in your image that the vaccine is just as much o' a threat to liberty as is masks. after all, vaccines is big pharma trying to make a buck in spite o' all those kids ending up with autism... and next thing you know, they will be coming for our guns.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

_113139187_tv062187309.jpg

So examples like this  will undoubtedly lead to virus spread but so will some of the BLM protests where people disregarded masks and safe distancing

And its not unique to USA, I see similar outcomes in SA and other countries  

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sigh.

Please tell me that the human race will not be condemned to plague-fuelled oblivion just because some dudes believe masks and vaccines are a secret communist ploy.

Pretty please.

Edited by Skazz
typo
  • Like 1

^ Ironically, Batman's mask is useless for our current situation, given that it covers everything except the mouth.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

^ Ironically, Batman's mask is useless for our current situation, given that it covers everything except the mouth.

I think I do have some 3D STL plans for a Bane Covid Filter mask somewhere...

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 minute ago, Keyrock said:

maybe not a total loss. we would stand at least six feet away from anybody wearing that getup in public... with the possible exception o' comicons and halloween. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

@BruceVC

Victoria and Melbourne to be further isolated (from the rest of Australia). From the BBC:

"South Australia and Queensland have cancelled plans to open their state borders to all Australians as an outbreak in Victoria gathers pace.

Victoria has recorded double-digit increases in infections each day for two weeks, including 64 in the past 24 hours.

The cases - concentrated in several areas of Melbourne - have become Australia's biggest concern in almost three months.

Fears are growing that the outbreak could spread to other states, all of which have far fewer or no infections.

In announcements today, South Australia cancelled plans to fully reopen its borders on 20 July, while Queensland said it would open on 10 July but not to Victorians.

Though her state remains open, New South Wales Gladys Berejiklian told locals today: "Do not allow anyone from a hotspot in Melbourne or from greater Melbourne to come into your home - you have the right to say no."

Australia has had more than 7,500 cases in total and 104 deaths."

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, Gorth said:

@BruceVC

Victoria and Melbourne to be further isolated (from the rest of Australia). From the BBC:

"South Australia and Queensland have cancelled plans to open their state borders to all Australians as an outbreak in Victoria gathers pace.

Victoria has recorded double-digit increases in infections each day for two weeks, including 64 in the past 24 hours.

The cases - concentrated in several areas of Melbourne - have become Australia's biggest concern in almost three months.

Fears are growing that the outbreak could spread to other states, all of which have far fewer or no infections.

In announcements today, South Australia cancelled plans to fully reopen its borders on 20 July, while Queensland said it would open on 10 July but not to Victorians.

Though her state remains open, New South Wales Gladys Berejiklian told locals today: "Do not allow anyone from a hotspot in Melbourne or from greater Melbourne to come into your home - you have the right to say no."

Australia has had more than 7,500 cases in total and 104 deaths."

Its interesting because Oz has a relatively low level of infections...yes you can argue that can always get worse but that risk is  normal in any country that has pockets of the population that ignore basic virus preventative measures...like the USA 

Im surprised the Australian government is still not allowing travel between all states or rather isolating Melbourne and Victoria but that is the nature of the reaction to the spread. Its understandable from a health perspective but I dont believe end of the day it can stop the actual spread because that is about citizens taking responsibility and again you can see from our friends in the USA the failure, in this time of virus, of allowing too much freedom of speech and too much freedom of choice 

As I have mentioned in the past this is one of the very few times I admire the Chinese one party state and how citizens basically do exactly what the state tell them to do

Before the virus it would have been difficult for someone to give me a valid reason why Democracy has its real negative outcomes 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Im surprised the Australian government is still not allowing travel between all states or rather isolating Melbourne and Victoria but that is the nature of the reaction to the spread. Its understandable from a health perspective but I dont believe end of the day it can stop the actual spread because that is about citizens taking responsibility and again you can see from our

The Scott Morrison government (the federal government) is doing what it's really best at doing, i.e. nothing. Unlike the bushfires, this crisis is being handled by the state governments and each state decides its own policy on the subject. The state premiers convene regularly (video conferencing) to discuss the state of the nation and where we're at.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53218704

Its the last thing we want to have to deal with but there has been a new virus identified in China, yes China AGAIN,  that has the potential to be a pandemic 

• Sad 1

John Milton 

20 minutes ago, Gorth said:

The Scott Morrison government (the federal government) is doing what it's really best at doing, i.e. nothing. Unlike the bushfires, this crisis is being handled by the state governments and each state decides its own policy on the subject. The state premiers convene regularly (video conferencing) to discuss the state of the nation and where we're at.

But that is exactly the global problem with federal systems of governments.....there is intransigence and rejection around how individual states decide to address virus spread which ultimately impacts the entire country and that would include states that follow best practice 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

33 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Well, you might as well have some fun...

That is cool, nice one :thumbsup:

John Milton 

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

But that is exactly the global problem with federal systems of governments.....there is intransigence and rejection around how individual states decide to address virus spread which ultimately impacts the entire country and that would include states that follow best practice 

For Australia, it's a blessing. The Morrison government is hopelessly inept, so the more the states decide to shoulder the responsibility of decision making, the better for all Australians.

The governing Liberal Party, not to be confused with the American use of the word 'liberal', is very much a social conservative and fiscally.... owned by the local mining and fossil fuel industry and wont do anything without the blessings and encouragement of their masters, regardless of how ridiculous and irresponsible those decisions are.

• Like 3

Meh, just buy some dexamethasone for 8 bucks instead, that even improves survival rate rather than just aiding recovery like remdesivir. Then again dexamethasone probably costs hundreds in the US as well despite being generic.