Lord Darryn's Voulge is fantastic with barbarians, due to static thunder. Hits, via main attacks AND carnage, build up charges that are discharged when one crits in an AOE lightning storm that also disorients those affected. It's best with a berserker or berserker multiclass (esp. berserker/monk or berserker/devoted or tactician), so you'll get crits more often, but you can use it with Serafen. With druids, its basically a stat stick giving you additional +3 power levels with storm spells. This is somewhat underwhelming, however, as the storm spells don't scale very well with additional power levels.

Fortunately it doesn't matter where the lightning damage comes from as long as it's the wielder of the Voulge who causes it. You could for example wear Heaven's Cacophony and use its Avenging Storm to cause the shock damage or as you said a scroll of some shock dmg spell. That way it's very easy to level it up (the other steps are also easily done).

SC Barb is good with this like the others said.

Not related to Serafen or Tekehu but it's a very fun weapon for a Berserker/Monk actually - mainly because of +INT from Duality (enlargens Carnage Area) and Swift Flurry (+Heartbeat Drumming) in combintion with Frenzy+Bloodlust + Blood Thirst. Sometimes Swift FLurry/HBD trigger one another and you'll get a ton of AoE damage because Carnage can't crit and still applies Static Thunder while the main attacks' chain-crits trigger it right away. @AeonsLegend did post some screenshots that do show the effect quite impressively. 

It's also fun for a Barbarian/Druid. You can bind it to the Druid class for +3PL to storms but still get the Static Thunder for Carnage (without the Distraction part that Barbs would get but still nice combo). Relentless Storms with Deltro's Cage + Voulge get +5 PL and are devastating - and when they kill your Bloodlust and Blood Thirst trigger...

Fighter is also nice due to Clear Out (and upgrades).

For SC Druids like Tekehu it's more like a stat stick. But all storm spells (that's not only shock spells) and Greater Maelstrom get +3 PL from it which is pretty awesome. I don't use it as melee weapon that much then (bcause busy with casting) but it's still good for that because dual damage with shock which is handy for many encounters (against constructs etc.). 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think weapon damage counts. I remember leveling it up was trivial.

As a Druid, you can stack the +3 PL from Voulge with +2 PL from Deltro's cage fullplate for a hefty +5 PL for lightning spells.

Edit: Eh, Ninja'd by Boreorer. Again.

Btw. the Voulge is a VERY cool weapon, one of my favorite style-wise, however it does suffer from enchantment capped at Superb. Meanwhile other weapons scale to Legendary or even to Mythic with end game stuff.

Edited by Haplok
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Haplok said:

I think weapon damage counts. I remember leveling it up was trivial.

As a Druid, you can stack the +3 PL from Voulge with +2 PL from Deltro's cage fullplate for a hefty +5 PL for lightning spells.

Edit: Eh, Ninja'd by Boreorer. Again.

Btw. the Voulge is a VERY cool weapon, one of my favorite style-wise, however it does suffer from enchantment capped at Superb. Meanwhile other weapons scale to Legendary or even to Mythic with end game stuff.

It's not +3PL for Lightning but Storm spells though, which incluse some but not all Druid Lightning spells and also some other spells. Even Weather the Storm is a Storm spell, which adds a bit of utility to the stick.

Weapon damage does count toward the 250 points of electrical damage you need to level up the Voulge, but only when you get lightning damage rather than slash damage; it uses the best of the two. The easiest way to level it up with a non-druid is head west to the Port Maje area after you get the Voulge, and attack deadfire merchant ships. There's always a guy in plate mail on these ships; have your Voulge guy attack him, and every hit will be electrical damage, since plate mail is vulnerable to that. After a few battles you'll level it up, and then can head to the nearest storm. The final leveling challenge is getting 30 crits. You can do this slowly but surely in battle, or you can head to Fort Deadlight and have the Voulge guy attack barrels, oil casks and gunpowder barrels. Crits on this these count, but watch out for the gunpowder barrels; they can easily knock you out if you have less than 100 HP.

For most lower level characters it will take quite a few battles to rack up 30 crits with the Voulge. But if you go to Fort Deadlight you can level it up really fast, since there are so many destructibles there. Just level it up to that stage first by racking up lightning damage against the plate armored guy on Deadfire merchant vessels, and then sailing into a storm. The easiest one to find is the perma-storm right by the island where you find the Voulge.

2 hours ago, Haplok said:

Well, I've mostly used it on Berserkers and never had trouble racking the crits. I guess a druid might have trouble. 

I agree. Crits aren't a problem with berserkers, but they come slowly for low level druids, in my experience.