Collecting bounty on Katrenn (from Dunnage)

May be spoilers ahead - re: a bounty from Dunnage that ends at Spiral Stair area.... Consider yourself warned ! 😄😁

So the last two times I went after Katrenn I ended up fighting about half the guards and numerous innocent bystanders from the area as well in spite of waiting until "after dark" to confront her and her party of Constructs (as if I needed the event to be more difficult than it already was as some of those constructs are nearly immune to damage (especially if one doesn't use metagame info to prepare ahead for that )

I do not recall the fight always being this way and was also somewhat surprised that it didn't make the entire area hostile 😮 - in today's battle I swear every guard in the area joined in against us! 

The tourists seem to waltz on through the middle of the battle and then of course they get hit with this or that and either die or become hostile and join the fight and the next thing you know guards are coming from across the area on the run to protect the Bounty (and not the hunters!!) 😇

So do you suppose this a glitch or intended reactions from some diabolical developer? 😁

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I've seen this as well. Don't know what triggers it really. I recall seeing something that I was able to reproduce, but I forgot what it was.

There's more bugs with this bounty. Katrenn is supposed to drop the flail Endre's Flog of Obedience, but sometimes she doesn't drop it.

Also: electricity damage is the way to go. Otherwise it will take a very long time to kill them if you do this bounty early. I tend to do this one early (after Neketaka) if I need her grimoire (which is the same as Llengrath's Grimoire.) but I found that collecting Magran's Favor is easier than battling her at level 11.

Edited by AeonsLegend

If she doesn't drop it and you used Essence Interrupter then I would wonder if its loot eating big is still active. For me (never use Essence Interrupter) it always drops. 

I fight Katrenn downstairs by the temple (between the pillars there) - usually no bypassers go there.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

11 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

If she doesn't drop it and you used Essence Interrupter then I would wonder if its loot eating big is still active. For me (never use Essence Interrupter) it always drops. 

I fight Katrenn downstairs by the temple (between the pillars there) - usually no bypassers go there.

I have not used Essence Interrupter and have had only a 50% drop rate on the flail. I've seen other reports on this flail sometimes not dropping. This is likely because she summons Citzals and then the flail is no longer in her inventory.

Can you control where she shows up? Sometimes she's upstairs and sometimes downstairs. Sometimes the constructs are scattered all over the map and sometimes they are close by.

Edited by AeonsLegend

3 hours ago, AeonsLegend said:

This is likely because she summons Citzals and then the flail is no longer in her inventory.

Very good point! Didn't think about that. She never did summon Spirit Lance against me - I guess because I make heavy use of interrupts and also stand widely spread in that fight because of the constructs' flame attacks.

3 hours ago, AeonsLegend said:

Can you control where she shows up? Sometimes she's upstairs and sometimes downstairs. Sometimes the constructs are scattered all over the map and sometimes they are close by.

Usually she stands at that railing at the top of those stairs on the east side of the Temple of Berath. Their constructs rel. nearby. I never encoutered her anywhere else. I then initiate combat by dialogue and retreat down the stairs. They all then follow downstairs. When I try to fight her at her "spawning point" then usually some stupid townsperson who doesn't cower down in terror but just dandily wanders about gets butchered.

2 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Very good point! Didn't think about that. She never did summon Spirit Lance against me - I guess because I make heavy use of interrupts and also stand widely spread in that fight because of the constructs' flame attacks.

Usually she stands at that railing at the top of those stairs on the east side of the Temple of Berath. Their constructs rel. nearby. I never encoutered her anywhere else. I then initiate combat by dialogue and retreat down the stairs. They all then follow downstairs. When I try to fight her at her "spawning point" then usually some stupid townsperson who doesn't cower down in terror but just dandily wanders about gets butchered.

Ah yea no I've seen her spawn at the bottom area as well. I think the area where you lure her too. But I've also seen her spawn at the top with or without her constructs nearby. I've seen constructs spawn as far as next to Mark van der Beij.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done this fight twice in the last few days (went back to an earlier save for other reasons and had to do it again). In one fight the town went hostile against me. In the other some people actually helped me, mainly the James Van der Beek fellow. He casts some Suppress Afflictions and I think some heal spells my way. I think the problem is that the townspeople just get in the way of your AOE spells. You have to be extremely careful not to use them, lest you hurt a bystander. The second time I did it I never used any AOE attacks, and no one went hostile against me. It also took frakking forever.

Edited by SubRosa

The constructs will occasionally hit bystanders with one of their fire bursts - then the town guards and other bystanders will turn hostile towards Katrenn et al. instead of you. But this can also lead to a questgiver's or merchant's death so I would try to avoid the involvement of third parties entirely. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Boeroer said:

The constructs will occasionally hit bystanders with one of their fire bursts - then the town guards and other bystanders will turn hostile towards Katrenn et al. instead of you. But this can also lead to a questgiver's or merchant's death so I would try to avoid the involvement of third parties entirely. 

Both times it happened for me it was our party they were attacking but I haven't yet conquered the ability to spread fights out once they have bunched up so it's entirely possible one of my over sensitive staff decided to attack anything that appeared in front of them thus bringing the ire of the horde down on us. 

For some reason I was under the impression that as long as we attacked in the dead of night these encounters did not include irate citizens and guards going beserk after getting in the way of a stray arrow or spell but perhaps I was just lucky 😎 

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...