Intel Thread

Just was making a bit of a joke on the codenames being cooler.  Who wouldn't want the chance to say "Yeah, I got a Battlemage in my rig".

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16895/a-sneak-peek-at-intels-xe-hpg-gpu-architecture

So they have their DLSS/FSR competitor in XeSS (clever name), not restricted to their cards (so open supported I guess is the term?)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ah, apparently it's supposed to be Xe  

Marketing is strange sometimes.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

13 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Just be glad it's not Microsoft; it would be called XxXX Series X: X Edition.

Direct Xtreme

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

That's pretty steep if true. I don't know the exact exchange rate, but that's gotta be at least $100 more than the R9-5950X.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

15 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

That's pretty steep if true. I don't know the exact exchange rate, but that's gotta be at least $100 more than the R9-5950X.

They are sticking to their pee shooters.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I'm rather interested to see how Alder Lake performs in the real world , given the BIGlittle architecture. For that price, it better perform pretty damn well.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's meant to still be extremely hot running despite finally being 10nm? Intel7? SuperDuperFlipFlop? and the 'advantages' of big/little (I'd imagine marginal for desktops, might be interesting for laptops, but then laptops have had a native 10nm architecture for a while now). There isn't too much positive to say about Intel's desktop consumer chips except that they (have recently) priced them sensibly so they are good for price/ performance, I'd guess that the 12900k will be faster than the 5950x and get the money no object crowd on board- at least until the vcache 5950x refresh drops in a few months.

Intel really needs to get the efficiency back up as it's costing them server sales and that's where the big cash is.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Intel is a little aggressive with their new Alder Lake lineup: 12700k with 12 cores (8P+4E) for 409 USD, and it comes with an iGPU. 384 if you don't need an iGPU (12700kf). 289 for the 6P+4E 12600k, 264 if you don't need an iGPU (12600kf). Also supports both DDR4 and DDR5. Performance in rumors is pretty exceptional too. A nice correction after the milking that was Zen 3.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16959/intel-innovation-alder-lake-november-4t

• Like 1

The thing I'm most curious to see is their power efficiency, given Intel's incredible struggles with it since AMD's Zen forced them to go higher and higher just to keep up performance-wise. The fact that they're going with a hybrid core architecture that's split between "power" and "efficient" cores does not exactly inspire confidence in me here.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Not really a spoiler; power efficiency is still awful. Better efficiency than FusionLake or LavaLake or whatever they called their last gen since it's higher IPC, but to put it in perspective, the practical draw assuming you haven't paired a K processor with a budget H board or similar is still greater than the 9570 which came with an AIO cooler out of the box- even without a manual overclock.

Also, why on earth would anyone buy the top SKU? Nearly 50% markup for... 4 extra efficiency cores and 200Mhz, but, lower base clock. Surely that 180USD could be spent better on pretty much anything.

3 hours ago, Jozape said:

Intel is a little aggressive with their new Alder Lake lineup: 12700k with 12 cores (8P+4E) for 409 USD, and it comes with an iGPU. 384 if you don't need an iGPU (12700kf). 289 for the 6P+4E 12600k, 264 if you don't need an iGPU (12600kf).

Should be noted that those prices from Anandtech are bulk buy (1k unit) prices. They'll be a bit more expensive for consumers.

• Like 1

I know that power efficiency doesn't really matter that much on an individual PC level, but for some reason, I just can't treat something that has literally approaching to twice the power draw for a mere 5-10% better performance very seriously.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

5 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Also, why on earth would anyone buy the top SKU? Nearly 50% markup for... 4 extra efficiency cores and 200Mhz, but, lower base clock. Surely that 180USD could be spent better on pretty much anything.

Yeah the 16-core SKUs don't look as interesting as the 10-core and 12-core SKUs. 12600k and 12700k are obvious winners since they have as many big cores as the Zen 3 equivalents, but the 5900X and 5950X are still unmatched in that department. Still, the price on the 12900k isn't that bad compared to them.

Should be noted that those prices from Anandtech are bulk buy (1k unit) prices. They'll be a bit more expensive for consumers.

True and these will probably be scalped to stupid prices, as every new hot product (hopefully only figuratively) is nowadays.

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The thing I'm most curious to see is their power efficiency, given Intel's incredible struggles with it since AMD's Zen forced them to go higher and higher just to keep up performance-wise. The fact that they're going with a hybrid core architecture that's split between "power" and "efficient" cores does not exactly inspire confidence in me here.

Almost everyone, including the efficiency gods Apple, use a big+little architecture nowadays to get more performance and battery life with less die area. I'd be surprised if AMD didn't also have plans for a big+little architecture in future parts, at least for laptops.

• Like 1

• Like 2

• Thanks 1

Power efficiency still looks kind of booty, but it's progress. If they can't get the efficiency crown for now, at least they can get the top performance crown.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Power consumption and heat are really bad on the 12900k, and that's without AVX-512... Imagine how bad it would have been if they had enabled it (it is in the big core architecture but not the little). E.g. in Cinebench the 12900k is pulling 120W more than the 5950X! 12600k and 12700k aren't so bad, but at best match Zen 3 efficiency which only has one type of core and has a power penalty from using chiplets.

Edit: 140W more in Blender according to Techspot

Edited by Jozape
More data
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jozape said:

Power consumption and heat are really bad on the 12900k, and that's without AVX-512... Imagine how bad it would have been if they had enabled it (it is in the big core architecture but not the little). E.g. in Cinebench the 12900k is pulling 120W more than the 5950X! 12600k and 12700k aren't so bad, but at best match Zen 3 efficiency which only has one type of core and has a power penalty from using chiplets.

Edit: 140W more in Blender according to Techspot

Yeah, actually, the more I look at these power efficiency numbers, the more I am underwhelmed. Being the performance king by 5-10% will be enough to get people to at least start buying them again for gaming, since that's usually what desktop gamers care the most about, but when I see the 12900k having literally almost twice the power draw of the 5950x when actually stressed, I am not so pleased.

Edited by Bartimaeus