Need some help/insight from other players regarding two handed and dual wielding as a ranger.

So I just finished PoE1 and I absolutely loved it. I played it as a melee ranger with greatsword. Pretty much DoT'd enemies with tidefall and wrecked stuff with my wolf pet. Pretty simple, but to me it felt quite effective and really like to RP as a ranger that runs wild alongside his trusted pet.

Now I'm so hyped to start PoE2 and I'm quite sure that I'll be playing as a Hunter multiclass(Stalker/devoted).

What is your opinion on two handed and dual wield? I'd like to go with greatswords(devoted), but dual wielding swords or sabres also intrigue me.

I will probably finish the game twice as a hunter multiclass. First time on Classic difficulty and second time I'll try PotD. Not trying to solo :p.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Fighter/Ranger can be neat with Karabörü. Due to the Ranger's high ACC and the Fighter's Disciplined Strikes you can crit frequently which can trigger a cone-shaped AoE attack from Karabörü. Combine with Clear Out!

There's also the Great Sword "Effort" which has a raw DoT lash which unlocks Predator's Sense automatically like in PoE. 

Whispers of the Endless Paths can be  good if you combine its Offensive Parry (riposte 100% on enemies' melee misses) with Stalker (+5 deflection, +1 AR), high RES, deflection gear (bracers and cloak), Vigorous Defense, Conquerer Stance, Superior Deflection and Beast's Claw. The cone attack of the sword can get you multiple stacks of Beast's Claw per attack and the increased defenses make it easier to parry (or with other words: let enemies miss). 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Also, Devoted is getting extra penetration and critical damage, which is nice with the Intuitive (?) inspiration from Disciplined Strikes and all the accuracy from Ranger skills. The Great sword modal is adding 30% damage then you get a bit more from weapon proficiency/specialization. It'll definitely work and you'll have a sturdy damage dealer who can stand at the front. Other combos may give you some more damage and extra guff to play with. Decide whether or not you want all that.  

Ranger + Fighter = +40 ACC on average (+45 vs Blooded, +35 otherwise) and 25% Hit to Crit.

Now you have to find the right weapon (or weapon set) to exploit this crit Potential. Aldris Blade + Scordeo's Edge (left hand, you won't need that much Acc) is tempting. Pick Monastic Unarmed Training for Slash Immune (you won't get any penalty with your devoted).