Next AAA game from Obsidian after The Outer Worlds discussion

https://segmentnext.com/2020/02/24/obsidian-next-gen-aaa-rpg/

Kind of an old news, but what do you think this will be?

I really want them to make their own ots/fpv post apocalyptic game. The market is definitely there. The Outer Worlds already had a massive amount of hype, since people are tired of Bethesda's bull**** and post apocalyptic game from Obsidian would be like a second coming of Jesus Christ himself if they played it well.  It's also a perfect time, now that that Fallout 76 turned out to be an MMO grindfest and there won't be other Fallout game made in the next 5 years. Get Josh Sawyer working on it though, since I feel like The Outer Worlds lacked his touch.

• Haha 1

I doubt they go to the Post Apoc. well. The Outer Worlds is already a bit of a similar setting, and since it did well, I doubt they create a brand new IP that is in the same vein. The only way I see that happening is if Microsoft gives them an established Post Apoc. IP to go with. 

I could see them taking the PoE setting and going with a FPS style RPG in that world. Since PoE 2 didn't sell well, that is probably the only way they continue to grow that IP. 

But honestly I assume they will get an IP from Microsoft and turn it into an RPG. It will probably play like The Outer Worlds, but be a bit bigger and brighter given the extra resources they have now. 

3 hours ago, Skarpen said:

Probably why it sold so good and had good marks.

I dont care about some big company's sales lol. I'm just saying that if they wanted to make post apo games they should definetely get Josh Sawyer to work on it. Post apo setting wouldn't be the same without gun related things they had going on in New Vegas, which from my understanding was Josh's idea.. Different ammo types, damage thershold, weapon condition. His dlc honest hearts is also my favorite - added a very interesting story to the fallout universe without changing too much. Chris Avellone on the other hand when making lonesome road tried to make big changes to the universe, because he said he was worried about it becoming too civilized. Not a bad writing, but I just didn't like it. Dead money he wrote stuff for was decent though.

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I could see them taking the PoE setting and going with a FPS style RPG in that world. Since PoE 2 didn't sell well, that is probably the only way they continue to grow that IP. 

No way they would spend AAA budget developing a niche title like that. I really feel like its going to be a post apo. Obsidian is known the most for new vegas, so its very likely that microsoft asked them to do their own post apocalyptic IP. I watched some Josh Sawyer's videos and he talked about wanting to make a realistic medieval game if I rememeber correctly, but I doubt that will happen, since he talked about it openly and recently.

Obsidian wasn't the only acquisition that Microsoft made on that day. They also picked up inXile, whose calling card is also a post-apocalyptic franchise. I can't imagine they want two studios in their stable making the same game.

• Thanks 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

14 hours ago, anon19023903 said:

No way they would spend AAA budget developing a niche title like that.

FPS/third person fantasy rpgs aren't niche. Particularly if they're open world and have a themed art style. Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, The Witcher etc. were all huge commercial hits and most of those (Elder Scrolls 5 excluded) were released just in the last 5 years. Also there's analytical date that fantasy out sells sci-fi by several magnitudes.

Gunplay is just a game design neologism for the way first-person or third-person shooting works and "feels" in a game. It's a mix of animations/sound design, responsiveness, surfacing of relevant information, etc.

It's not the most precise and informative of terms, but it's generally used to compare how different shooters and games with shooter elements play. Hardly indicative of a western setting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think if they make a fantasy first person game, it won't be Pillars of eternity... I can't remember where i read it but I think Josh wasnt entirely happy with the world creation due to lack of time to flesh it out.  I love POE but id prefer them to keep POE CRPG and do something new in first person, if thats the route they go.

I don't think there is anything wrong with spin-off games. I wouldn't mind some third person game set in the POE setting. Could even be a different time period, like exploring past events.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with spin-off games. I wouldn't mind some third person game set in the POE setting. Could even be a different time period, like exploring past events.

I personally wouldn't mind it.  However, I think quite a lot of the pillars fans would be annoyed by it.  Flipping between styles could definitely turn people off to the series... although i suppose if someone really liked the first person pillars it might open them up to crpgs.  New Vegas kind of had that effect on me, despite not being patient enough for the old fallouts combat.

I kind of loath prequels.  perhaps if it's really far in the past but i don't think i want to play through the Waidwen Legacy.  Sure it would flesh out the world but in the end you know how the story would conclude.

Wild West sounds awesome. Btw, there's gonna be Weird West from the new Studio of Raph Colantonio (Arkane of Dishonored fame). It's not AAA naturally though. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097350/Weird_West/

As for Josh, I'd personally prefer him to keep working on his smaller project. I suspect he's the same at the Moment. No pressure, no high demands -- and this includes backers, who have their wishes too. :) Could be really interesting. Perhaps much more interesting than Obsidian's yet to be announced next AA/A game. 

• Thanks 1

It was confirmed there is some kind of DLC for Outer Worlds in works, no? 

as to what this project can be: I got no clue. It seems we won’t find out for a while either. I would be curious to learn who is involved. 

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

It was confirmed there is some kind of DLC for Outer Worlds in works, no?

It was and then nothing more has been said since. No screenshots, no release date, no teasers. Considering that the game came out almost exactly 7 months ago, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the DLC was quietly shelved. Maybe COVID got it?

EDIT: Hey, what a coincidence!

Edited by Achilles

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

36 minutes ago, Achilles said:

It was and then nothing more has been said since. No screenshots, no release date, no teasers. Considering that the game came out almost exactly 7 months ago, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the DLC was quietly shelved. Maybe COVID got it?

I kinda assumed they might even aim for the steam release. It would make sense to give people reason to return to the game/buy it when the game won't be locked to Epic/WindowsStore. Watching the Vid now. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I kinda assumed they might even aim for the steam release. It would make sense to give people reason to return to the game/buy it when the game won't be locked to Epic/WindowsStore. Watching the Vid now. 

Ooo, good call! If that's the case though, we have several more months to wait.

10 hours ago, Achilles said:

I'm pretty sure it's 'cause they didn't initially plan to make DLC considering the last few games they pre-approved the production of DLC the extra content didn't sell well and with Tyranny and Deadfire the games themselves didn't sell well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the_dog_days said:

I'm pretty sure it's 'cause they didn't initially plan to make DLC considering the last few games they pre-approved the production of DLC the extra content didn't sell well and with Tyranny and Deadfire the games themselves didn't sell well.

This.  It's just 'nother one of those cases where they didn't expect a game do well but did surprisingly well so now they're hand is being forced economically and communitarily to dish out more content.

15 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

So...Obsidian announces DLC and then goes quiet for 7 months...because game sales???

I'm not sure how this relates to Wormerine's question or my post (which you quoted). The most generous interpretation I can give it is that you think they're too busy making DLC to talk about DLC?

I'd have to imagine that DLC production was slowed down by the pandemic, much like the Switch port ended up being delayed. I don't know how much outsourcing was done on The Outer Worlds, for example, but a lot of developers in China who handle that sort of stuff would have to either have transitioned to work from home or closed altogether for a while, and this all the way back to the end of last year. Then you get Obsidian transitioning to WFH themselves, and it's easy to see how development would slow down as pipelines get adapted to the new workflow.

The game's still getting a Switch port and a Steam release, so, while it's not ideal to release DLC this late into its lifecycle, it can still make a come back in the news thanks to that (and we don't know *what* kind of DLC plans they have... is it a single big DLC? Smaller packs? If it's a single big DLC than the wait also makes more sense).

• Like 2