9e27944edf9642c694d4d25e6b342345.jpg.9d8959ef98b0526458d9048105b5fdb8.jpg

As you can see, puns are back. 

This one is thanks to my lovely SO.

And that "u" in the name is no mistake, just a lovely pun, cause you know...he's a shadowdragon, on drugs right? he he he...

Ok, enough about puns.

===============================================

Shadowdrugon

===============================================
Difficulty: PotD v5.0.0.0040 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Role: High single-target DPS and single-targer disabler

Solo: No (maybe if you abuse summons to use as a distraction and use nemnok's cloak, still doubt it)
Berath's blessings: +50K Gold/Loaded pockets/Bonus attributes(!)/Fine equipment/Pet for Eder(!)(cause you know he really deserves it)/Unique item vendor/Infamous Past/Mythical discovery
------------------------------------------------------------------
Class: Shadowdancer (Rogue + Monk)

Subclass: (Trickster/Nalpazca) Nalpazca can probably be changed to Helwalker but will be much more glassy, possibly too much.

Race: Human (The Fighting spirit can be of great help, but other than that, any will do)
Background: Any will do, for RP purposes I chose deadfire and explorer
When listing attributes values, it's what creation window should show when you finish distributing them, racial bonus and background included, any further changes to your attributes will be berath's blessings and abilities (on my previous post it was a bit unclear so a new method, if you use all attribute points, they should add up to 78)

Attributes:                                  

MIG:12
CON:11
DEX:16
PER:18
INT:11
RES:10
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Proficiencies:
Rapier(!) (+20 Acc modal with -50% Recovery penalty, works great with full attacks and rapier's low 3.0 sec recovery time)
Sabres (always in off hand so we get +2 pen for free becaus for full attacks, only main hand recovery counts)
Stilletos (With legendary, we get up to 15 Pen (just weapon) for those extremaly armored enemies, recovery malus hurts just as little as in rapier)
Skills: Alchemy/History (Makes sense to respec into history from other roleplaying one once you get giftbearer's cloak and it will give more than Cloak of Greater Protection
Abilities:
Legend: essential-(!), sugessted-(S) otherwiseto can be considered situational and may be changed

PL1: Monk: Swift Strikes(!), Lesser Wounds(S); Rogue: Crippling Strike(!), Escape(S)
PL2: Monk: Clarity Of Agony (!); Rogue: Blinding Strike (!), Dirty Fighting (!); Mutual: Two Weapon Syle (!)
PL3: Monk: Swift Flurry(!), Stunning Blow(!), Soul Mirror (S); Rogue: Confounding Blind(!), Finishing Blow (S), Riposte
PL4: Monk: Duality of Mortal Presence(!), Thunderous Blows(!); Rogue: Persistant Distraction(!)
PL5: Monk: Stunning Surge(!), Enervating Blows(!); Rogue: Devastating Blow (S), Deep Wounds (S); Mutual: Tough
PL6: Monk: Turning Wheel(S), Flagellant's Path(!); Rogue: Slippery Mind(S)
PL7: Monk: Heartbeat Drumming(!); Rogue: Deathblows(!)

Other worthy mentions that can be taken to shape the playstyle in some niche a bit:
-Backstab combined with Shadowing Beyond instead of Flagellant's path and Crippling Strike at later levels when CP is not used very often.
-If you stay with just Escape, and don't "upgrade" to Flagellent's Path (FP) (better range and full attack, higher cost), Weapon and Shield Style is a great choice for tougher battles and when using Tuotilo's Palm Outward Spikes to further increase chance for riposte attacks.
-For tougher fights, Iron Wheel can be useful with it's +3AR max bonus, change if for Turning Wheel
-Improved Criticals should be taken instead of Slippery mind if you choose to frequently use food blocking mind afflictions
Items: 

Weapons: Rannig's Wrath/Scordeo's Edge and Rust's Poingard/Scordeo's Edge and Scordeo's Edge or Rannig's Wrath/Tuotilo's Palm; Aldris Blade of Captain Crow is a nice earlier alternative to SE

Helm: Helm of The White Void
Neck: Protective Eothasian Charm (a tiny mod to change per rest to per encounter, so it's less tedious)
Torso: Devil of Caroc Breastplate
Ring: Ring of Prosperity's Fortune
Feet: Boots of Stone
Cape: Giftbearer's Cloak (after your history skill gives more than +10 that Cloak of Greater Protection gives)
Trinket: Muatu's Head
Gloves: Aegor's Swift Touch or Mortification Bindings
Ring: Entonia Signet Ring
Belt: The Undying Burden
Pet: Abraham or Dude the Six-Toes Cat (Eder should carry Nalvi, however, giving him Concelhaut's Skull is much funnier and more petty (pun:aiee:, I almost cried when I realised that, might be too much time in quarantine))

That's it, now for more 'in depth' description.

So, Crits. This is what this mod circles around. Also speed. Hence highest PER and very high DEX. High crit chance is achieved by combined buffs to Acc and instantly debuffing enemies with stunning surge, confounding blind and persistant distraction. Full power is revieled when high accuracy is combined with both swift flurry and heartbeat drumming as one can proc the other and vice versa. But even before that this is a true single target DPS beast. About level 17, his total damage was about 163K while Maia(pure ranger) was 2nd with 95K and Eder (swashbuckler) was 3rd with about 60K. And for testing stuff on dummies I had to mod their HP from 500 to 5000 because they were dying too fast. Beast. My favourite part about this build is that he's ready instantly and, if used wisely, can retain full damage capability through the whole fight. 

Biggest hole in defences is Will, that is filled with minor protection rings and greater cloak of protection(unique item vendor) and later with Giftbearer's Cloak and some bonuses to RES.

Party. I played this build with full party comprising of: Eder (Swashbuckler), Xoti (Priest), Aloth (Battlemage), first Maia (Ranger) later ~18lvl Tekehu (Theurge)

Abilities. It is important to maintain battle discipline and do not use up resources too fast as without them DPS falls greately. Crippling strike is never upgraded as we use it scarcely and as a back-up if we run out of mortification. As outlined in worthy mentions some changes can be made without sacrificig core parts and survivability. I would not recomend Helwalker instead of Nalpazca as it probably would need constant casting on him Barring Death's Door. About Confounding Blind (CB), while exploring this build I found some issues with flanked and CB, you can read about it here if you care at all, if not, I made a tiny mod that fixes both issues and it's here: Flanked 'fluctuating' stacking and confounding blind fix.rar. My solution is also included in @Elric Galad's BPM, which I would recommend to check out. 
Another important part is getting to enemies quickly and hunting ranged enemies and mages. This is done by using Escape and/or Flagellant's Path. Mages with Deflection below ~80/90 and lvl 20, be probably outright destroyed with FP. 

It is crucial to remember that while Guile is not refundable with this build and Mortification is, often using CB to be sure Stunning Surge(SS) is refunded, is the way to go. Most attacks should be carried out with SS as long as we have high Crit chance. It is a full attack so the cost will be refunded even if only one weapon crits.

Both Escape and FP can be used to traverse the battlefield and have their finer points. At the begining Escape is a must have, later can be changed to FB but having both is just as good.

Trickster abilities give us the much needed survivability while sacrificing just +10% additive sneak attack bonus. Mirrored Image costs just a tiny 1 guile and the +30 Def bonus is just huge. Coupled with Llengrath's Displaced Image and this multiclass native very high reflex, make you neigh untouchable (although for just few hits) and for longer if used with Weapon and Shield Style and Tuotilo's Palm. 

Weapons. Rannig's Wrath is a perfect rapier with increased action speed, total +9 Acc bonus (+5 is from any rapier's "accurate") and enchantment to add +1 Pen and another for +10% Dam angainst flanked targets. And almost all of them will be flanked. It's modal of +20 Acc stacks with its native bonuses AND +20 from SE Adaptive, and tops with 162 Acc (+10 from helmet) that can be further increased with Devotions of the faithful and/or Aware, with both it tops at 167 Acc (170 with accuracy gauntlets). While still having nice 1.6 sec recovery with the modal active (swift flurry also active), and dropping to 1.3sec when modal is deactivated (SF still active)(That is with proposed gear). Scordeo's Edge makes for some ridiculous DPS whe cascade is active and with +10 INT from DoMP it last a quite a bit longer then 5sec. Rust's Poingard is best used against enemies that are immune to being blinded. CB only adds it's additional Def malus if the target can be blinded. Enemies resistant to Perception afflictions are saved from this malus. Incidentaly, the malus from Rust's Poingard is for some reason concidered a beneficial effect so it will most likely stack with everything else you thow at your enemies. Like stunned or flanked. Tuotilo's Palm makes for a perfect shield here, it hit's can add Acc to unarmed attacks (it also counts), benefits from Transcendant Suffering therfore scaling and it can be enchanted to either give another chance for riposte attach to proc, or give us another +10 Def and Ref bonus. Awesome. Aldris Blade of Captain Crow is also a very nice addition for survivability and damage as it gives +8 health on every crit, gives 10% Hit to Crit and also flat +10 shock damage on Crit. Very nice indeed. A important addition is Beza's Toothed Blade. it is a must when fighting Veil-Touched enemies. I forgot that when I went for BoW dlc and my crit/hit ratio dropped anoyingly and I burned through Mortification way too fast.

Gear. 

Helm of the White Void gives us a "all-stack" +10 acc bonus to any attack that aplies body or mind affliction. So any affliction. Also that's almost all of our attacks. Excluding Devastating Blow and auto attacks. Before it's obtained Thaos' Headdress is a good substitute with only +5 Acc but also +10% Dam to flanked targets. I know it's PoE 1 dependant but later about that.

Protective Eothasian Charm. Great Near Death incoming damage reduction bonus plus, juicy +1PER, available extremaly early, worn it the whole game, never looked back. 

Devil of Caroc Breastplate. Obvious, +2 each class resource, Self mending for +2 AR, and INT Aff resistance. Also nice -10% recovery time. 

Ring of Prosperity's Fortune. Given the economy in the game getting full 15% Hit to Crit from it is a no brainer. Nice for times when we face high Def enemies and to help SF and HD also get Crits.

Boots of Stone. Much needed RES and DEX bonuses and a resistance to MIG Aff as a cherry on top.

Giftbearer's Cloak. Already covered above. Only other thing is the extra weapon slot and quic item slot for more druuuugs. 

Muatu's Head. Good for a tough spot as his attacks restore your health.

Aegor's Swift Touch. It allows us to reach the height if speed potential. Mortification bindings to increase error margin for using SS.

Entonia Signet Ring, up to +10 all Defenses (+2 for every enemy that engages you, 5 stacks)

The Undying Burden. +2 CON and up to -10% incoming damage, just what the doctor ordered.

Abraham helps us reach the full speed potential as well. Also he gives the entire party +10 HP on kill and we plan to do that a lot. Dude the Six-Toes Cat is a nice switch with no recovery time reduction but double the HP regen on kill. Also as my girl says, "soo cute". Possibly it is.

Potions/Drugs/Food.

The single best survivability potion for me is Compassionate Soul Essence. Makes you neigh invincible and is available very early on, and it's extremaly cheap.

For drugs I like the whiteleaf for the health regen and bonus Will, concentration also desn't hurt when fighting ranged Rogues thet interrupt you a lot.

For regular fights I try to have Honey Wine Hen active for damage reduction and HP regen. Depending on the particular tougher fight, either Captain's Banquet/Shark Soup or Mohora Wraps, Brew Battered Ysae is nice with +3 CON bonus and -20% recovery time bonus.

Aaaand that would be it. The thing I said I'd adress later: I just plain added the Thaos' Headdress with Unity Console. As I plan to add SE or at least Aldris Blade. After the added mechanic of exporting NPC with gear I figure it doesn't really matter and it's starting gear anyway, and for Aldris Blade, I rushed Ashen Maw on this playthrough  and was punished with still unpatched bugs around Wahaki questline. And it doesn't change that much. So if you ask me, go crazy. Still though I wouldn't go too far so as to let progress mean something. Even if after getting to Neketaka you basically can get anything anyway. (I am very tired when writing this so that's probably why I'm a bit salty). When I read this tommorow I'll probably find something more I should have mentioned, if crucial, I'll post it as a separate post in this topic.

And for last, here a short showcase video (would have done more but it is very late) of single combat vs 5000 HP dummy. It has very low defences but I mostly wanted to show the full DPS potential.

@whatever369, rushed this for you as I know how impatient I get when I want to try out a new build. Have fun!

And of course all best to all you lads and lasses. May you be safe from Ishiza's droppings. 

• Like 5

Per aspera ad astra

Bez tytułu.png

3 hours ago, whatever369 said:

And not a moment to soon... 😉 Dzięki @Frykas

Looks very promising can't wait to give it a go. My only concern is whether or not using bonus abilities won't make my MC too overpowered for veteran difficulty?

What exactly you mean by bonus abilities? Like summoning muatu? Or the blade cascade from SE?

Edited by Frykas

Per aspera ad astra

Bez tytułu.png

9 hours ago, Frykas said:

About Confounding Blind (CB), while exploring this build I found some issues with flanked and CB, you can read about it here if you care at all, if not, I made a tiny mod that fixes both issues and it's here: Flanked 'fluctuating' stacking and confounding blind fix.rar. My solution is also included in @Elric Galad's BPM, which I would recommend to check out. 

Thank you, for advertising it.
To make it clear for others : BPM refers to Balance Patch Mod, and the link is here (before putting it on Nexus) https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/114861-balance-polishing-mod-release-10/

My new build also somewhat revolve around Confounding Bllind, but more has an opener for the focus fire from my Wurms (Beckoner/Trickster).
Tarn's Respite could have been nice in your build. Maybe better for mine which revolves around "marking" a target more than abusing my own crit. But I think you get can it quite early, so might be interesting as an early weapon.

17 minutes ago, Elric Galad said:

Thank you, for advertising it.
To make it clear for others : BPM refers to Balance Patch Mod, and the link is here (before putting it on Nexus) https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/114861-balance-polishing-mod-release-10/

My new build also somewhat revolve around Confounding Bllind, but more has an opener for the focus fire from my Wurms (Beckoner/Trickster).
Tarn's Respite could have been nice in your build. Maybe better for mine which revolves around "marking" a target more than abusing my own crit. But I think you get can it quite early, so might be interesting as an early weapon.

Good things should be advertised :thumbsup:

And tarn's respite is a great idea for early game. Full -10 Def malus should be achieved rather fast with speed native to this build. Thanks for that.

Per aspera ad astra

Bez tytułu.png

37 minutes ago, whatever369 said:

My bad. I meant "Bonus Attributes" from Berath`s Blessings.

Ah ok. I would't say very OP but not taking it would definately show more of those min/max aspects and make it a bit more vulnerable so it will require some more assist from teammates. If you don't want a OP MC I'd say that not taking them for Veteran should make some cracks in defences, eg. lower Will and Fortitude. Makes sense RP wise as well.

• Thanks 1

Per aspera ad astra

Bez tytułu.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 8:39 PM, Frykas said:

Rapier(!) (+20 Acc modal with -50% Recovery penalty

Should be +50%?

On 5/13/2020 at 8:39 PM, Frykas said:

Sabres (always in off hand so we get +2 pen for free becaus for full attacks, only main hand recovery counts)

Isn't this backward? Full attacks use OH recovery. If you want to Full Attack and get +2 Pen for free, Sabre should be in your MH.

9 hours ago, Joules said:

Should be +50%?

Yes, you are right. 

11 hours ago, Joules said:

Isn't this backward? Full attacks use OH recovery. If you want to Full Attack and get +2 Pen for free, Sabre should be in your MH.

During my play and testing it seemed that it's the MH. Especially when turning on/off the rapier modal.

Per aspera ad astra

Bez tytułu.png

• 2 weeks later...

This build is a lot of fun, the damage is insane and you're pretty sturdy between Mirrored Image + Drugs (Whiteleaf heals me for 4.1 health per 3 seconds alone).

I played it as dual Sabers instead because I think Tarn's or Grave Calling in your offhand are better than Rannig's. I was overloaded with Accuracy, so the Rapier bonus was meh + the modal isn't really needed once you get Enduring Dance (both actives, no stacking). I can probably drop my accuracy gloves and pet, too.

This screenshot below was against the Porokoa at the end of SSS on upscaled PotD, it's a Heartbeat Drumming proc.  Just my character alone is debuffing its deflection by 44 - essentially making my whole party have 50%+ crit chance on it. I have 100% crit without even using Helm of the White Void or Enduring Dance. This means you could have 100% crit even on targets with 120+ deflection, which is awesome, and Confounding Blind + Tarn's makes it a cinch for your whole party to land attacks.

With this accuracy + debuffs, you have unlimited full, stunning attacks from Stunning Surge and just plow through anyone's HP. Really awesome DPS build for a party, enjoying it a lot.

uggtCSR.png

• 1 month later...

Finally had a moment to check and reply. 

On 6/1/2020 at 3:02 AM, Joules said:

On 6/1/2020 at 1:02 PM, Boeroer said:

Yes. It was the other way round in PoE.

Obviously you are right, I'll edit the build. EDIT- forgot that it is too late xD

On 6/14/2020 at 8:39 PM, Joules said:

This build is a lot of fun, the damage is insane and you're pretty sturdy between Mirrored Image + Drugs (Whiteleaf heals me for 4.1 health per 3 seconds alone).

I played it as dual Sabers instead because I think Tarn's or Grave Calling in your offhand are better than Rannig's. I was overloaded with Accuracy, so the Rapier bonus was meh + the modal isn't really needed once you get Enduring Dance (both actives, no stacking). I can probably drop my accuracy gloves and pet, too.

This screenshot below was against the Porokoa at the end of SSS on upscaled PotD, it's a Heartbeat Drumming proc.  Just my character alone is debuffing its deflection by 44 - essentially making my whole party have 50%+ crit chance on it. I have 100% crit without even using Helm of the White Void or Enduring Dance. This means you could have 100% crit even on targets with 120+ deflection, which is awesome, and Confounding Blind + Tarn's makes it a cinch for your whole party to land attacks.

With this accuracy + debuffs, you have unlimited full, stunning attacks from Stunning Surge and just plow through anyone's HP. Really awesome DPS build for a party, enjoying it a lot.

I am really glad you are enjoing it and I'll have to try it with dual sabres. 

Edited by Frykas

Per aspera ad astra

Bez tytułu.png

22 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Recovery is now determined by the slowest weapon you use (for full attacks). So main or offhand doesn't matter.

Wait, what? I tested it with full attacks and had different results depending which weapon was in OH. 

Per aspera ad astra

Bez tytułu.png

Maybe it's both (kind of). I recently tested the Battle Axe modal and the Sabre modal - which both give the battle axe/sabre attack a recoery penlty - with Full Attacks: no matter in which hand I placed the weapon with the modal: the Full Attack recovery was always with the penalty. 

Maybe if you don't use those modals it's still the case that only OH recovery counts for Full Attacks? Or that the modal malus gets added to the faster OH recovery instead. No idea. I honestly didn't test that in depth but just assumed (after my modal/Full Attack test) that the whole determination process of recovery had been changed to "for Full Attacks use whatever's max ". Because before that it was easy to entirely skip the modal recovery malus by putting the axe in the main hand. It doesn't work anymore. At least for me. 

I am using the Community Patch so maybe that's why. But recovery behavior of Full Attacks wasn't changed by that. So unless this isn't some unwanted side effect of the mod I don't think that's the reason.    

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

5 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Maybe it's both (kind of). I recently tested the Battle Axe modal and the Sabre modal - which both give the battle axe/sabre attack a recoery penlty - with Full Attacks: no matter in which hand I placed the weapon with the modal: the Full Attack recovery was always with the penalty. 

Maybe if you don't use those modals it's still the case that only OH recovery counts for Full Attacks? Or that the modal malus gets added to the faster OH recovery instead. No idea. I honestly didn't test that in depth but just assumed (after my modal/Full Attack test) that the whole determination process of recovery had been changed to "for Full Attacks use whatever's max ". Because before that it was easy to entirely skip the modal recovery malus by putting the axe in the main hand. It doesn't work anymore. At least for me. 

I am using the Community Patch so maybe that's why. But recovery behavior of Full Attacks wasn't changed by that. So unless this isn't some unwanted side effect of the mod I don't think that's the reason.    

Sooo.... oof.jpg.e3cb9abdd463ff0203138ad1f10839b3.jpg

Basically me when realising that this might be even more convoluted and I can't test it properly now, as I'm running on the integrated GPU after my dumb a** broke one of the fans while cleaning.

So I think, I'll get back to this mess when I finish with sorting the quests that influence the strength of factions for finall taly of strongest rival. 

PS. Obsidian, seriously, this is the kind basic thing that really should be documented...

Per aspera ad astra

Bez tytułu.png

Thank you for the build, Frykas.

I'm playing a variant of it also. As I hate consumables, I went with Forbidden Fist. Also maxed Res - both to mitigate the FF curse and was hoping to get lots of Riposte procs. Well, I didn't get as many as I hoped, so I stopped using Tuotilo's, as it was hurting my damage output too much. Still, Forbidden Fist is pretty awesome. It's special ability is quite strong and having enemies with double debuff and DOT durations and negated healing all the time quite rocks. Particularly vs durable enemies: now even Unbending doesn't help. 

Wound generations is a bit slower - then again I don't rely on many Wound abilities - apart from Thunderous Blows and Duality, so no real problem. Actually Hylea's Talons and FF alone provide a decent stream - and they supercharge the Crucible of Suffering too. I've never realised before it stacks with itself - quite crazy really!

For sure am using Scordeo's Edge, as that's simply uber. But as for its pairing, I'm still deciding. Sure, Rannig's Wrath is nice for lots of crits, but the damage is a bit low. Tarn's Respite would also be nice for bosses, as it can debuff them further. Magran's Favor simply deals a lot of damage - even moreso with the modal. Grave Calling certainly rocks vs Vessels. Will try to get Seeker's Fang rapier next - its certainly much nicer on ciphers, but the added light DOT, combined with high rapier accuracy might still make it competitive.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

Never knew CoS stacks with itself, that's awesome. As for seeker's fang vs rannig's wrath, I also had a rough time deciding. Rannig's thrusting and flurry make it tempting but ultimately DoT from Seeker's fang is a bit better. I just wish it had a bit better 2ND tier upgrade but that might be a bit OP. 

But I had fun results with changing RW to Rust's Poignard (even with it's lower base dmg) and then switching to fists when enemy is already low on defences. Of course this is useful for bosses as it would be too tedious for others.

• Like 1

Per aspera ad astra

Bez tytułu.png

10 hours ago, Haplok said:

having enemies with double debuff and DOT durations

Times 1.5 instead of 2, but still awesome. :)

10 hours ago, Haplok said:

[...] and they supercharge the Crucible of Suffering too. I've never realised before it stacks with itself - quite crazy really!

Uh... I played a FF for a 95% playthrough and I also never realized that. Awesome. How you just casually dropped that handgrenade of powergaming. ;)

I'm thinking about Sage again now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2020 at 8:15 AM, Boeroer said:

Times 1.5 instead of 2, but still awesome. :)

Uh... I played a FF for a 95% playthrough and I also never realized that. Awesome. How you just casually dropped that handgrenade of powergaming. ;)

I'm thinking about Sage again now...

Thank I might have been mistaken - due to double Crucible of Suffering entries on the character sheet and high ramping defenses in Will and Reflex categories.

Anyway, I think the Forbidden Fist / Trickster is my favorite Shadowdancer flavor by far. Decently durable even without Tuotilo's, so that I don't need to babysit him much (far less then other melee monks I've tried). Although to be honest, this is mostly due to Repulsive Visage. Although healing on hostile effect expiring also contributes.

Enfeeble + Toxic Strike + Confounding Blind shred even the nastiest enemies quickly. In general enemies don't last with healing/regeneration disabled. And his Wound limitations are practically gone when he gets Parting Sorrow (works also on kill).

Also first time I'm using the AI scripts nearly as much and he basically runs on autopilot most of the time.

Edited by Haplok