20 minutes ago, NotDumbEnough said:

I feel that finishing blow should instakill near death on crit or something, rather than a % chance for any connecting attacks, otherwise I feel that it makes abilities like Detonate, Boil their Flesh from Skin to Bone, etc. too redundant when you can just have a rogue dual wield blunderbusses.

The point is that all mentioned abilities would be okay ones even without this effect. Circle of Death for example deals damages in a super big AoE. Destroy component is only the icing. Boil the Flesh triggers additional explosions upon kills.

And all these effects work on a mere Graze. I have never add any issue with killing a boss when Near Death.

Yes, Blunderbusses synergizes super well, but this is the point of Blunderbusses to synergizes with such abilities (because without that non-mortar blunderbusses deal subpar damages).

Edit: I also wonder if it would interact poorly with Pain Link (i.e. enemies shooting your party member with Pain Link)

"Don't do this at home" basically.

or Blood Ward/Chanter's Old Siec etc.

I don't think you can deal more damages than the target HP. So yup, you would be fully healed when dealing the final blow vs Dorudugan.

On 3/5/2022 at 7:48 AM, Elric Galad said:

Persistent Distraction could become -5 all defenses. This would be universally good without risk of breaking the balance.

In theory I like this idea, but for some builds you need PD to enable deathblows, so maybe it would have negative consequences.

3 hours ago, dgray62 said:

In theory I like this idea, but for some builds you need PD to enable deathblows, so maybe it would have negative consequences.

I get this, but you still have a lots of other way to activate Deathblow, especially Sap, Smoke Cloud, Blinding Strike, party members, regular, Flanking, etc...

Even for such builds, PD can't even be entirely relied on anyway since some foes are Resistant to PER affliction.

Anyway, it would be a deletable file of BPM Optional nerf package, so easy to remove if needed.

• Like 1

Finishing Blow & Upgrades :

Ok, again new try, base ideas since I think the previous one was a bit convoluted :

- I'm still going to remove the +50% unconditional damages. It's better to add more damages based on remaining health. +50% damages translates on average to +1% damages per 1% health loss (up to +100%). 

- If finally think that the concept of the ability is fine (except for the not focused enough +50% damages bonus). So Finishing and Devastating blow would stay mostly about doing damages to low health targets. Finishing Blow allows high power spike vs low health targets, for a rather high cost. That's the concept and that is fine.

However, the values are not high enough for the cost because :

- it fully applies to targets already close from death

- weapon based attacks and rogue attacks already have a freaking load of bonus damages. The multiplicative factor is not so high. A MC lvl 20 can easily get +60% from weapon, +60+% from sneak attack, +50% from deathblows, -58% from dual wield full attack. +100-150% damages bonus isn't hard to achieve. So +200-250% damages is only about x2 damages, which is the point where I think Finishing blows start to become interesting for 2 Guiles.

That's why the new values are calculated to give x2 bonus damages from Blooded (50% health). Of course, that would be more vs Near Death target, but at this point, some abilities can already "destroy" the target.

It leads to :

Finishing Blow :
- 2 Guiles
- +10 Accuracy
- Interrupt on Hit
- +4% damages per 1% of health loss (up to +400%)

Eliminating Blow :
- 2 Guiles
- +10 Accuracy
- 4+% damages per 1% of health loss (up to +400%)

- 2.5m radius Shaken for 12s, except to main target (no change, except fixing the description that mentions frightened)

Devastating Blow :
- 2 Guiles
- +10 Accuracy

- +5% damages per 1% of health loss (up to +500%)
- Prone on Hit.

Apart Sap (which has other utility anyway), there are no other Rogue Attack causing Prone, so I think this small bonus would help Devastating Blow versatility. If you really want to finish off a target by using most of your Guile pool, chaining Devastating Blows will be even easier (even if you will rarely need it). And the fluff goes well with a "Devastating" attack.  

I went with a small additional effect for Devastating Blow because it should mostly be the upgrade that is mostly about "bigger" number. But on the other hand, I didn't want the numbers to be too different so one doesn't feel too forced to go Devastating Blow to get the "full damage" effect, so I needed an "extra".

PS : sorry for the reposting about this one ability, but I struggle to convince myself. This one design is quite simple, so I think it can't be too bad.

Edited by Elric Galad

5 hours ago, NotDumbEnough said:

Would be careful with Devastating Blow as Blunderbuss AOE prone would probably be too powerful imo. With Sap you can really only AOE prone if you use WotEP or multiclass with Wizard, but anyone can pick up a blunderbuss.

Prone is a 3s CC effect (3.5s with CP), only 1s (or 1.5s) more than Interruption. 

Using 2 Crippling Strikes has the same guile cost as Devastating Blow and provides 2s X 2 = 4s of Crowd Control. So in term of CC, these abilities would be very close, so I don't think Devastating Blow would be too powerful.

In addition, using Devastating Blow in an AoE tends to be suboptimal since it is harder to have all targets at low health.

Basically, Devastating Blow with Mortars is a nice "alternate" use of the ability but I won't qualify it broken.

I almost never use the vanilla Devastating Blow because it's a waste of Guile when you can have 2 Crippling Strikes for the same amount of Guile. In an AoE - like with mortars - Arterial Strike is fantastic. Interrupts, has high PEN, bleeds out moving enemies. I wouldn't even think about using vanilla Devastating Blow with mortars. Adding a prone effect feels weird somehow, but it wouldn't make it too powerful imo. 

Edit:

2 ideas instead of prone:

• refund on kill (see Barbaric Smash for reference). Rogue suffers from having no refund mechanic besides Gambit. Would make the high initial cost bearable if you use it as true finisher and would make overkilling less costly (or even free).
  • short-lived but hefty bleeding that's higher the less health the enemy has (see Infestation of Maggots for reference). Would help to truly "finish" an enemy if the initial direct damage couldn't do it. This would encourage to use it on enemies with lowish but not superlow health (where it most often leads to overkilling).

Just because I don't picture Devastating Blow as a brute-force attack that would topple even healthy enemies over - but an attack that's aimed at the most vulnerable spots of an already struggling target. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

8 hours ago, Boeroer said:

I almost never use the vanilla Devastating Blow because it's a waste of Guile when you can have 2 Crippling Strikes for the same amount of Guile. In an AoE - like with mortars - Arterial Strike is fantastic. Interrupts, has high PEN, bleeds out moving enemies. I wouldn't even think about using vanilla Devastating Blow with mortars. Adding a prone effect feels weird somehow, but it wouldn't make it too powerful imo. 

Edit:

2 ideas instead of prone:

• refund on kill (see Barbaric Smash for reference). Rogue suffers from having no refund mechanic besides Gambit. Would make the high initial cost bearable if you use it as true finisher and would make overkilling less costly (or even free).
  • short-lived but hefty bleeding that's higher the less health the enemy has (see Infestation of Maggots for reference). Would help to truly "finish" an enemy if the initial direct damage couldn't do it. This would encourage to use it on enemies with lowish but not superlow health (where it most often leads to overkilling).

Just because I don't picture Devastating Blow as a brute-force attack that would topple even healthy enemies over - but an attack that's aimed at the most vulnerable spots of an already struggling target. 

I appreciate this answer. I think that Prone is okay from game mechanics.

For fluff, I can see why it would feel a bit weird. I took some time trying to find something more convincing today but I haven't.

My issue is that I need a small stuff for Devastating Blow because its main purpose should still be more damages. Small stuff balance wise and game mechanics wise (it should be simple). Also I tend to be biased against On Kill effects.

That's why tuning the Interruption property was a solution.

Prone can be seen not only as brute force impact (it won't be Prone Vs Fortitude) but also about bringing something on their knees. That's basically what Rust's Poignard does so it's not something absurd within PoE game mechanics fluff.

Hey @Elric Galad, any interest in a tweak for the Assassin subclass?

As is, the straightforward way of playing a weapon-based Assassin (attack, stealth, repeat) isn't really worthwhile in most cases.  You burn through guile and you spend a lot of time waiting to recover from using Smoke Veil.  If you were to, instead, just keep using your guile on Rogue attacks (Crippling, Withering, etc) you would often do just as much damage in the same amount of time. 

From my testing, it seemed like the only cases where the Assassin bonuses were worth the time and guile opportunity costs were usually only if the bonus penetration got you out of underpenetration.  You end up attacking far slower but hitting harder enough to make it just worth it.  But just worth it in some cases isn't a great advertisement for a subclass 🤣

DPS-Caster/Assassin multiclass builds (Evoker+Assassin for instance) suffer from similar issues but also have to justify the lost power level and access to higher level spells faster (or at all for pl8/9) compared to just sticking with single class caster.  I've run a pure melee Assassin, pure ranged Assassin, and Evoker+Assassin and all 3 were similarly disappointing.

One build that does seem to work is using Brilliant Departure for stealth because it does not break when using non-damage CC.  In that build there are no issues with wasted guile or time spent casting Smoke Veil.  So a Wizard+Assassin can CC to their heart's content with a nice +25 accuracy (buy gains nothing from the pen or bonus crit damage, of course).

I would propose maybe reducing Smoke Veil's recovery by half or something similar, at least for the Assassin subclass if not in general.  The change to 1 guile certainly benefitted Assassin but faster recovery might make it more viable for a pure weapon Assassin or DPS caster multiclass combo.  You would still be burning through guile fast but the damage output would always be greater (at least in the short term before you burn through all your guile).  It would be a "live fast and die young" subclass where you do a lot of damage quickly and then slow down and die when you're out of your main survivability mechanic (stealth).  And it doesn't affect the Brilliant Departure build.

Or maybe there's some other tweak to make it work better?  Play around with the accuracy/pen/crit damage bonus?

Edited by crdvis16
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, crdvis16 said:

Hey @Elric Galad, any interest in a tweak for the Assassin subclass?

As is, the straightforward way of playing a weapon-based Assassin (attack, stealth, repeat) isn't really worthwhile in most cases.  You burn through guile and you spend a lot of time waiting to recover from using Smoke Veil.  If you were to, instead, just keep using your guile on Rogue attacks (Crippling, Withering, etc) you would often do just as much damage in the same amount of time. 

From my testing, it seemed like the only cases where the Assassin bonuses were worth the time and guile opportunity costs were usually only if the bonus penetration got you out of underpenetration.  You end up attacking far slower but hitting harder enough to make it just worth it.  But just worth it in some cases isn't a great advertisement for a subclass 🤣

DPS-Caster/Assassin multiclass builds (Evoker+Assassin for instance) suffer from similar issues but also have to justify the lost power level and access to higher level spells faster (or at all for pl8/9) compared to just sticking with single class caster.  I've run a pure melee Assassin, pure ranged Assassin, and Evoker+Assassin and all 3 were similarly disappointing.

One build that does seem to work is using Brilliant Departure for stealth because it does not break when using non-damage CC.  In that build there are no issues with wasted guile or time spent casting Smoke Veil.  So a Wizard+Assassin can CC to their heart's content with a nice +25 accuracy (buy gains nothing from the pen or bonus crit damage, of course).

I would propose maybe reducing Smoke Veil's recovery by half or something similar, at least for the Assassin subclass if not in general.  The change to 1 guile certainly benefitted Assassin but faster recovery might make it more viable for a pure weapon Assassin or DPS caster multiclass combo.  You would still be burning through guile fast but the damage output would always be greater (at least in the short term before you burn through all your guile).  It would be a "live fast and die young" subclass where you do a lot of damage quickly and then slow down and die when you're out of your main survivability mechanic (stealth).  And it doesn't affect the Brilliant Departure build.

Or maybe there's some other tweak to make it work better?  Play around with the accuracy/pen/crit damage bonus?

I can sympathize with your point, as I rarely find myself picking abilities from the stealthy sneaky backstabby side of Rogue ability tree.

To be honest, I would tend to think that the issue is a bit deeper than the subclass, so I would try to qualify the issue before actually looking for a proprer solution. Various points below :

1 - I think the issue is also about backstab. A normal Rogue should be able to use Backstab with enough benefits. An Assassin Subclass should emphasize it, not being the only only to be able to use this.

2 - All 3 Rogue Invisibility abilities are concerned : Smoke Veil, Shadow Step (including enduring shadow) and Vanishing Strike. I'm currently pretty satisfied with their relative balance. Shadow Step costs twice, but also provide Teleport, Deflection buff and Instant recovery. I think this is a fine improvement over Smoke Veil. Make Smoke Veil instant-recovery and picking Shadow Step would be meh compared to a more flexible combo of Escape + Smoke Veil.

3 - Probably the "deepest" question : should backstabby Asassination really be about DPS ? It would be a bit redundant with Strikes then. And it won't really help the Rogue vibe. Shadow Step allows mobility to strike where it hurts. Smoke Veil allows repositioning too (moving while recovering sort of save time since you're still getting half of your recovery speed while doing something else). Then, if not, what it should be about ? Damages Spike ? Piercing AR / High Defenses ? Is it enough ? (no definitive answer to this question)

4 - Weapon vs Spells : it's nice to have Assassin bonus synergize with spells. But it sort of synergizes better than with weapon. Sure, Backstab helps a bit.

One possible change I have in mind it to have Assassin passive and Backtstab applies for fixed 1s after Invisibility is broken (like I did for Lion Sprint), for better interaction with Multi-Hit attacks and Full Attacks. It might not address the whole issue, but I think it would be a rather safe step.

Edit Maybe not for Backstab. CP variant would provide dire results with Blunderbuss and it provides a fixed (so fair for all weapons) bonus anyway.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

One possible change I have in mind it to have Assassin passive and Backtstab applies for fixed 1s after Invisibility is broken (like I did for Lion Sprint), for better interaction with Multi-Hit attacks and Full Attacks. It might not address the whole issue, but I think it would be a rather safe step.

Edit Maybe not for Backstab. CP variant would provide dire results with Blunderbuss and it provides a fixed (so fair for all weapons) bonus anyway.

I agree with your points. I think that with the changes you made a stealthy rogue is totally viable. The stealth abilities are not only about dealing extra damage but also providing survivability and positioning. Hence, its ok that a direct crippling strike (or devastating blow etc..) results in a bit more damage output.

Your proposed change to backstab sounds actually pretty interesting. Personally, I don't use the CP variant of backstab since I find it underwhelming when you accumulate high lashes (e.g. flames of devotion) or it won't benefit soul annihilation anymore. Providing an additive damage bonus for 1s could combine the best of both approaches.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

I tried that with Vanishing Strike on a single class Assassin, and I think the raw damage bonus only applies to the first projectile. It does not give extra damage for all 4 pellets.

I think a 1 second grace period would be very nice as spells are very janky with the Assassin bonus right now, and it is strange to have full attacks be disfavored on rogues.

The other problem, I think, with Assassins is that on PotD enemies are much harder to just one-shot from invisibility. Maybe tone down their offensive bonus and instead give them some sort of healing while in invisibility so that they're also more useful in longer fights?

Edited by NotDumbEnough
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Constentin Lévine said:

Maybe you have already try with Lion's Sprint, but the +1s period turn the "conditional" first roll into an extendable period, isnt it? I say that but I think you have fixed the duration, I just cant look now :)

Yes, BPM Lion's Sprint duration is fixed 1s, not extendable by any mean. I'm paranoid about Wall of Draining.

23 hours ago, Bosmer said:

I agree with your points. I think that with the changes you made a stealthy rogue is totally viable. The stealth abilities are not only about dealing extra damage but also providing survivability and positioning. Hence, its ok that a direct crippling strike (or devastating blow etc..) results in a bit more damage output.

I think the change above is enough for the Assassin subclass. I'm not set on other abilities + backstab for regular rogue. This should work pretty well as well, even though they are less specialized. Currently, I haven't set up my mind. I'm not even set about whether it requires a change.

23 hours ago, Bosmer said:

Your proposed change to backstab sounds actually pretty interesting. Personally, I don't use the CP variant of backstab since I find it underwhelming when you accumulate high lashes (e.g. flames of devotion) or it won't benefit soul annihilation anymore. Providing an additive damage bonus for 1s could combine the best of both approaches.

CP Backtstab variant has a big advantage : it is equally as good with 2HS, Fast DW, normal DW, 1HS/S&Bor whatever...
Somehow Backstab should be good with 1HS Stiletto, so it makes sense.

Current Asassin bonus is better with 2HS than with DW.
1s lasting Assassin bonus would be about equal with 2HS and DW (normal DW would be disfavored, but Full Attacks would be favored).

Rogues do favor DW, but I don't want to overly force them into it.

That's why the change for these 2 abilities should probably not be symmetric.

Also I'm reluctant to tweak CP Backstab because the code isn't mine, and it would intertwine both mods even more. 
I admit I could also go with an entirely original design...

22 hours ago, NotDumbEnough said:

I tried that with Vanishing Strike on a single class Assassin, and I think the raw damage bonus only applies to the first projectile. It does not give extra damage for all 4 pellets.

Good to know !

I think a 1 second grace period would be very nice as spells are very janky with the Assassin bonus right now, and it is strange to have full attacks be disfavored on rogues.

That's indeed the point. Lion's Sprint had the same Jankiness issue.

The other problem, I think, with Assassins is that on PotD enemies are much harder to just one-shot from invisibility. Maybe tone down their offensive bonus and instead give them some sort of healing while in invisibility so that they're also more useful in longer fights?

One-shot isn't strictly necessary but dealing significant damages from stealth is the point.

CP Variant adds 20 raw damages from stealth +1/PL +% MIG modifier. That's fairly significant early on, but not really later on. Maybe it should scale more ?

Brainstorming idea : Backstab could add damages for each second spent invisible (with some cap). Fun with initial strike from stealth ? BG Thief Vibe ? Using Smoke Veil before combat could allow keeping built up charges when getting close to foes from stealth is too difficult.

I tried this for Shadowed Hunters but I had a Pet issue with implementation. Could work with Rogue who hasn't the same issue (or could work with my improved modding skills from then 😉 ).

This is an idea to avoid Backstab being "only about DPS" : the build-up damages should be inferior to "expected DPS", but allow Spike damages, encourage maneuver time, etc... Assassin subclass would make the strike much more reliable.

I could keep good base damages for 0s spent invisible so Vanishing Strike remains interesting.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Testlum said:

Shadowed Hunters getting a stacking bonus over time while invisible sounds rad, actually. Fits way more with the ambushing theme, rather than healing and reducing hostile effects. What was the problem with implementation?

I implemented the bonus damages from time spent invisible as auto-hit attacks triggered by stacking charges. But they were attacks from the Ranger, so the pet triggered bonus damages broke ranger's invisibility. 

There might be some other way to do, such as implentation as Bonus damages on attack but not actual attacks. I think this is the way CP Backstab and Captain Crow sabre work.

That being said, I wanted to keep the initial effect of Shadowed Hunters (just adding the bonus damages), and this would have led the ability to have too many and too complicated effects, something that I'm reluctant to do. Also it was very slow and conditional for a precious Tier 9 ability slot. 

I'm quite satisfied with my current version of Shadowed Hunter (Modular Healing + Hostile Effect defense + Invisibility / Hostile Effect defense + Healing + Intuitive). BPM Ranger Tier 9 is very competitive with all my reworks and only 3 possible picks, so Shadowed Hunters need some raw power to compete.

That's why the idea came back for backstab : Backstab is only about damages, so having "complex" rule about this is OK. And it's a Tier 1, so it can be about situational spicing.

• Like 3

Ah interesting, I interpreted that more like a simple stacking +bonus% to the first attack out of invisibility, rather than bonus attacks. I can see how it would be annoying if the ranger and companion broke each other's invisibility.

Something else that bothers me when playing an Assassin: Backstab is mutually exclusive with Persistent Distraction, and both feel like must-have passives for a melee Rogue. You can of course set up your Rogue to enable Deathblows + Backstab in many other ways, but the fact that those 2 passives cannot work together feels a bit anti-synergistic, especially when playing a melee Assassin.

It would be awesome if there was some kind of time overlap/lingering effect between both so you could set off devastating combos. For example, Distracted lasting a few seconds after disengagement, and Backstab still working a few seconds after breaking invisibility (which would both make sense: Rogue creates and takes advantage of battle confusion).

3 hours ago, Not So Clever Hound said:

Something else that bothers me when playing an Assassin: Backstab is mutually exclusive with Persistent Distraction, and both feel like must-have passives for a melee Rogue. You can of course set up your Rogue to enable Deathblows + Backstab in many other ways, but the fact that those 2 passives cannot work together feels a bit anti-synergistic, especially when playing a melee Assassin.

It would be awesome if there was some kind of time overlap/lingering effect between both so you could set off devastating combos. For example, Distracted lasting a few seconds after disengagement, and Backstab still working a few seconds after breaking invisibility (which would both make sense: Rogue creates and takes advantage of battle confusion).

Well BPM 2.1 sets Persistent Distraction to -5 all defenses instead of Distracted. Enabling Deathblow was too easy and it made the other Rogue Distraction causing abilities redundant.

But I see your point : without set-up, backstab can cause less damages than a normal rogue attack.

I'm considering letting Backstab applies 1s after Breaking invisibility so at least the second attack of a Full Attack could get both effects.

• Thanks 1

What would you think about following design (principles and numbers) for Backstab :

+100% damages

+100% damages against targets ABOVE 50% health (in addition to previous one)

Applies when Invisible/Stealthed or fixed 1s after against target <2m

The idea is to have Backstab COMBINE with Strikes instead of competing, and to be used as an alpha strike against a fresh target, useful when you switch targets with SHadowing Beyond or Smoke Veil.

(Assassin passive would also applies when Invisible/Stealthed or fixed 1s after)

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NotDumbEnough said:

I prefer the raw damage bonus from the community patch, otherwise people will mostly just use the Red Hand while fast weapons like clubs will be much less useful.

It's not so simple.

This version is meant to combo with Full Attacks. You get 2 attacks instead of 1, so 2x10-14 = 24 damages on average for daggers, vs 23 damages for Arquebus (and Arquebus is the most extreme case).

Of course, Full Attacks get a malus with Dual Wield. -35% damages negates 58% of damages bonus. The point is that this version of Backstab and Rogue in general get so many damages bonus that the damages loss isn't that big.

What IS optimal with this version of Backstab would be DW Normal speed weapons. But that's pretty much the case with cost efficiency of most rogue special attacks anyway.

Fast weapons are faster, which has other perks from cost efficiency per ability : Skald Multiclassing, Confounding Strike hits, specific unique properties, etc...

In a nutshell, the gap is much smaller than with base game Backstab, although not as perfectly equal as CP Backstab (but solves othe issue such as giving backstab a proper niche).

EDIT : But Redhand is indeed the exception since you can shot twice in 1s. I haven't thought about that. But that's only 1 weapon, and it makes sense that some uniques get some unique combos ^^

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 2

Which leads me to another question (independently from the previous one)

Does the Red Hand need a nerf ?

It has almost double the DPS compared to a normal Arquebus, at the minor cost of a bit less range. No other unique provides comparable multiplicative DPS.

I would reduced its base damages by 20%. Still 160% base damages per double shot. That's still an enormous gain.