7 hours ago, Testlum said:

Thanks for explaining, that certainly makes more sense. I've actually read that thread, but wasn't too sure still so I figured I'd ask.

For reference, I believe you're talking about this post: 

Yup.

Keep in mind BPM Unbending % rate only benefits from Healing Received (not Healing Done, not Might, not Int, not PL, albeit the later two influence the main effect duration.

It is also a bit better when taking damages repeatedly, but much less so than the original one.

With fresh fruits and a single foe attacking you, you can expect around 2/3 health back. You need Unbending Trunk to hope full regen.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Elric Galad, I finally got around tackling this issue...

On 8/4/2021 at 4:42 PM, Elric Galad said:

For your information, contrary to their descriptions, Superior Camouflage and Defensive/Strenghtened Bond don't apply to the pet, only to the ranger...

Spoiler
On 8/5/2021 at 8:20 AM, Elric Galad said:

Ok, some news :

- Same problem with Survival of the fittest. Marking Prey seems the only "passive" (it has a hidden passive part) stated to apply to both ranger and pet that works correctly.

- Based on the progression table, it is literally written in the code that pets should benefit from all these abilities. Except... it doesn't.

- I've found the source of the bug and a correction. Just tested it for Superior Camouflage and Survival of the Fittest and it works ! (EDIT : works also for defensive/strenghtened bond) Except it impacts directly the Progression Table file... Basically what should be done is to append the 27+ ranger progression tables were they appear (numerous NPC tables) with the 4 modified ability (technically adding 4 working ones in addition to the 4 non-working). @Noqn could be the kind of person who can do it (with a script ?) without becoming crazy. I have not this kind of skill for now 🙂

Reveal hidden contents

For your information, it's because the gamedate are written this way, and the hard code does not like adding an ability when condition is having the exact same ability (even if it supposed to add ability to the pet after the ability has been checked on ranger) :

"Note""CL 17 - Superior Camouflage Animal Passive",
                            "Category""General",
                            "UnlockStyle""AutoGrant",
                            "ActivationObject""AnimalCompanion",
                            "AddAbilityID""d06cafc3-cb9d-4aa8-91eb-a8bdd42a66f6",
                            "RemoveAbilityID""00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
                            "Prerequisites": {
                                "MinimumCharacterLevel"17,
                                "PowerLevelRequirement": {
                                    "ClassID""1718929c-1faf-4292-b82c-7e2a7c20b3ab",
                                    "MinimumPowerLevel"0
                                },
                                "RequiresAbilityID""00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
                                "Conditional": {
                                    "Operator"0,
                                    "Components": [
                                        {
                                            "$type""OEIFormats.FlowCharts.ConditionalCall, OEIFormats",
                                            "Data": {
                                                "FullName""Boolean ProgressionTableHasAbility(Guid)",
                                                "Parameters": [
                                                    "d06cafc3-cb9d-4aa8-91eb-a8bdd42a66f6"
                                                ],
                                                "Flags""",
                                                "UnrealCall""",
                                                "FunctionHash"-1793712019,
                                                "ParameterHash"-1935182004
                                            },
                                            "Not"false,
                                            "Operator"0
                                        }
                                    ]
                                },

I'm glad I had this intuition after checking why Marked Prey freaking works...

I'm a bit sad, because it shows clearly these abilities simply haven't been tested. Like the most elementary tests were never run. I heavily suspect another bug to Defensive/Strenghtened bond because pet gets a copy of ranger abilities : in the code, pets should benefit from the bonus if they are within 4m... of their pet.

EDIT : also another bug : defensive/strenghtened bond applies even when pet is down, provided it is within 4m... (which is not the case for Stalker bonus)

Download: Animal Companion Ability Fixes.zip

Instead of editing the Progression Tables directly, I made a BaseProgressionTableAppend object for the Ranger table, as well one for each of the CharacterProgressionTable objects that included any of the abilities (apart from PT_Maia & PT_Maia_Ranger which actually had working conditionals...)

With this implementation, I think you should be able to remove the "Highest Load Priority" package altogether and instead include these fixes in the base package 😀

Here are the specific abilities appended to the character progression tables:

lv8  DefensiveBond
lv11 Strengthened Bond
lv15 Survival of the Fittest
lv17 Superior Camouflage

PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Antelope
	PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Bear
	PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Boar
	PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Gunhawk
	PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Lion

lv8  DefensiveBond
lv11 Strengthened Bond
lv14 Survival of the Fittest
lv17 Superior Camouflage

PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Stag
	PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Wolf

lv17 Superior Camouflage

PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Antelope
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Bear
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Boar
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Gunhawk
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Lion
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Stag
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Wolf
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Offensive_Stag
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Offensive_Wolf
	LAX01_PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Bear_Trinket

lv15 Defensive Bond

PT_NPC_Ranger_Barbarian_Wolf
	LAX02_PT_NPC_Ranger_Barbarian_Polar_Bear

Edited by Noqn
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Noqn said:

Hi @Elric Galad, I finally got around tackling this issue...

Reveal hidden contents

Download: Animal Companion Ability Fixes.zip

Instead of editing the Progression Tables directly, I made a BaseProgressionTableAppend object for the Ranger table, as well one for each of the CharacterProgressionTable objects that included any of the abilities (apart from PT_Maia & PT_Maia_Ranger which actually had working conditionals...)

With this implementation, I think you should be able to remove the "Highest Load Priority" package altogether and instead include these fixes in the base package 😀

Here are the specific abilities appended to the character progression tables:

lv8  DefensiveBond
lv11 Strengthened Bond
lv17 Superior Camouflage

PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Antelope
	PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Bear
	PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Boar
	PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Gunhawk
	PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Lion

lv8  DefensiveBond
lv11 Strengthened Bond
lv14 Survival of the Fittest
lv17 Superior Camouflage

PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Stag
	PT_NPC_Ranger_BeastmasterMelee_Wolf

lv17 Superior Camouflage

PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Antelope
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Bear
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Boar
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Gunhawk
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Lion
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Stag
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Wolf
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Offensive_Stag
	PT_NPC_Ranger_Offensive_Wolf
	LAX01_PT_NPC_Ranger_Balanced_Bear_Trinket

lv15 Defensive Bond

PT_NPC_Ranger_Barbarian_Wolf
	LAX02_PT_NPC_Ranger_Barbarian_Polar_Bear

Nice !

I think I can trust you, you even pointed that Maia's auto-tables were working correctly, which I was not aware (but can be explainted from the game files).

I will add this to next version. Better to avoid a cumbersome additional mod component with specific loading rules indeed ! 

• Like 2

Agh, noticed one thing. Strengthened Bond (but not Defensive Bond) seems to already apply correctly to NPCs in vanilla (it only checks for Defensive Bond & Character LV).

We could add only Defensive_Bond_Pet without its Strengthened_Bond_Pet counterpart, but then Defensive_Bond_Pet wouldn't be removed by the vanilla table...

I'll test a version which adds Defensive_Bond_Pet, and a corresponding table entry which removes Defensive_Bond_Pet without adding a new ability.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Noqn said:

Agh, noticed one thing. Strengthened Bond (but not Defensive Bond) seems to already apply correctly to NPCs in vanilla (it only checks for Defensive Bond & Character LV).

We could add only Defensive_Bond_Pet without its Strengthened_Bond_Pet counterpart, but then Defensive_Bond_Pet wouldn't be removed by the vanilla table...

I'll test a version which adds Defensive_Bond_Pet, and a corresponding table entry which removes Defensive_Bond_Pet without adding a new ability.

Ok take your time. We're not in a hurry.

• Like 1

By the way, I'd like to suggest an idea for self-revive abilities that activates after being knocked unconscious (Fighter's Unbreakable/Unrelenting and Paladin's Providence and Sacred Sacrifice would be the target in this case, even though Sacred Sacrifice is active ability).

Most of those abilities require higher level to acquire, but are very much situational.
I'd not say "Higher level abilities must be stronger than lower level abilities", but the principle of BPM is somewhat similar with this, isn't it?
I mean, You've been tweaking lots of things for making SC attractive as much as MC is, so I personally think that those abilities also need to be handled.

Of course, I know BPM has already been doing it, however, the thing making why the abilities are meh still remain as it is imo; Rest is forced after battle with using the abilities, in order to remove Injury.

This may seems small and minor, but the QoL (Quality of Life) is quite important.
Injury can be removed by a specific potion, and there is not disadvantage or demerit to keep resting, but most of players would not prefer to wear equipment that provides abilities with x/rest for sure.

I'd like to suggest tweaking those abilities' QoL, meaning that those don't give injury status while being knocked unconscious with some limitation, something like cooldown you've added on several abilities such as on Furyshaper's penalty while Ward is destroyed.

Lastly, in case of Vengeful Defeat, how about changing the activated condition from being knock unconscious to Near Death with the cooldown limitation? 

But, yeah, I should consider how the changes are hard or easy to implement technically, in aspect of modding. If those are time-consuming process or nearly impossible to implement, just forget it and forgive me please. 😅

4 hours ago, Hoo said:

By the way, I'd like to suggest an idea for self-revive abilities that activates after being knocked unconscious (Fighter's Unbreakable/Unrelenting and Paladin's Providence and Sacred Sacrifice would be the target in this case, even though Sacred Sacrifice is active ability).

Most of those abilities require higher level to acquire, but are very much situational.
I'd not say "Higher level abilities must be stronger than lower level abilities", but the principle of BPM is somewhat similar with this, isn't it?
I mean, You've been tweaking lots of things for making SC attractive as much as MC is, so I personally think that those abilities also need to be handled.

Of course, I know BPM has already been doing it, however, the thing making why the abilities are meh still remain as it is imo; Rest is forced after battle with using the abilities, in order to remove Injury.

This may seems small and minor, but the QoL (Quality of Life) is quite important.
Injury can be removed by a specific potion, and there is not disadvantage or demerit to keep resting, but most of players would not prefer to wear equipment that provides abilities with x/rest for sure.

I'd like to suggest tweaking those abilities' QoL, meaning that those don't give injury status while being knocked unconscious with some limitation, something like cooldown you've added on several abilities such as on Furyshaper's penalty while Ward is destroyed.

Lastly, in case of Vengeful Defeat, how about changing the activated condition from being knock unconscious to Near Death with the cooldown limitation? 

But, yeah, I should consider how the changes are hard or easy to implement technically, in aspect of modding. If those are time-consuming process or nearly impossible to implement, just forget it and forgive me please. 😅

Hi, thank you for making suggestions, but this is not in line with my plan.

1) technically, this is indeed annoying. The biggest factor here is that it isn't possible to remove 1 injury or prevent 1. You can only remove them all as part of an effect.

2) The changes I've made are BECAUSE these abilities are situational. This is the reason I buffed them in the first place. Unrelenting adds +5 Discipline because it is annoying to use. Providence provides an effect that lasts to the whole battle in order to avoid making it more useful when you only procs once (which is already situational). On the other hand, Providence provides Pals an almost absurd resilience in the right situation. I've kept Resurrection Prevent Death for a similar reason : contrary to BDD, it is impossible to spam.

3) I usually don't change the philosophy of an ability, unless it is redundant with some others. Vengeful defeat would be a little too close from barbaric retaliations if I changed it.

4) There are plenty of ability choices, and none of the said abilities are meant to be corn stone of their respective single class. If you really don't like the concept, just pass :-), you have many viable choices now 

5) Potion of Luminous Adra. If you still want to use these abilities for specific encounters, you still have them. You usually want some of these potions in your quickslots for megabosses. This is especially critical for Vengeful Defeat because these are the battles where you will want more Rage. But yeah, these abilities are not meant to be spammed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoo said:

I'm not sure this belongs to either Community Mod or Balance Polishing Mod, but it seems that Ninagauth's Killing Bolt doesn't summon Spectre even if I it killed an enemy of non-spirit type. Could you check it out?

Yeah, it's weird, it seems to fail on first try. But I have no clue what happens. The bug isn't caused by one of the mod. I would have corrected it anyway if I had a clue about the cause. 

On 9/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, Noqn said:

So, base game has strengthened bond working correctly.

First version of yours made double strengthened bond on the pet. Or adds a new strengthened bond that stacked with defensive bond maybe ?

New version let the old strengthened bond but have a new item that only exists to remove defensive bond.

Just to be sure I got it.

Edit : anyway, it works. Version 1.5.0 is on the way.

Edit edit : Version 1.5.0 is live. It only merges the content of Highest priority package into Buffs package, which removes the special loading instructions.

Deadfire Balance Polishing Mod at Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com)

Thanks @Noqn

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Elric Galad said:

So, base game has strengthened bond working correctly.

First version of yours made double strengthened bond on the pet. Or adds a new strengthened bond that stacked with defensive bond maybe ?

New version let the old strengthened bond but have a new item that only exists to remove defensive bond.

Just to be sure I got it.

Yep, it's exactly like you've written. First version had a strengthened bond duplicate, which turned out to stack with vanilla strengthened bond.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently what I'm planning for Arcane Reflection line of spells :

- Minor Arcane Reflection : 50% reflection chances* for 45s, not spell level limit

- Arcane Reflection (unchanged) : 100% reflection chances* for 60s, 30 spell level limit (so better than the previous one in most cases, but the first may have an edge against intense fire)

- Llengrath Arcane Reflection : 100% reflection chances* against single target spells and 75% spell resistance for 20s (basically a short duration almost absolute protection against most spells. Note that setting both to 75% would have caused the 25% non reflected single target spells to be resisted 75% time, which I find confusing.) It can be abused through WoD**, but not really more that what some MC can get (Unbending Trunk, Blade Turning)

* Note that reflection chances vs single target spells also works with bouncing spells.

**(though next version of BPM will set it to +0.33s/-2s per Hit only, so one need 3 targets for infinite duration)

Tell me if this design would feel right for you. Full discussion below :

Do Different Arcane Reflection Spells Stack? - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire General Discussion (NO SPOILERS) - Obsidian Forum Community

Sorry for posting it in 2 subforums, but the initial discussion may not have been in the right place.

• Like 1

Noticed some small stuff:

BalancePolishingModBuffs/design/gamedata/cl.druid.touch_of_death.gamedatabundle, line 23: missing brackets "}]"

BalancePolishingSummonRebalance/design/gamedata/cl.chanter.dank_spore_summon.gamedatabundle, line 15:
"AttackBaseComponent" should be "AttackSummonComponent"

54 minutes ago, Elric Galad said:

- Minor Arcane Reflection : 50% reflection chances* for 45s, not spell level limit

This is purely subjective, but I really liked the deterministic design of the Arcane Reflection spells. I have no input on balance though, sorry.

Edited by Noqn
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Noqn said:

Noticed some small stuff:

BalancePolishingModBuffs/design/gamedata/cl.druid.touch_of_death.gamedatabundle, line 23: missing brackets "}]"

BalancePolishingSummonRebalance/design/gamedata/cl.chanter.dank_spore_summon.gamedatabundle, line 15:
"AttackBaseComponent" should be "AttackSummonComponent"

Thanks

57 minutes ago, Noqn said:

This is purely subjective, but I really liked the deterministic design of the Arcane Reflection spells. I have no input on balance though, sorry.

I get that, but you'll still get it with the lvl 6 version. This change is to make both spells have their own merits.

I'm not set though.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 10:14 PM, Elric Galad said:

Currently what I'm planning for Arcane Reflection line of spells :

- Arcane Reflection (unchanged) : 100% reflection chances* for 60s, 30 spell level limit (so better than the previous one in most cases, but the first may have an edge against intense fire)

- Llengrath Arcane Reflection : 100% reflection chances* against single target spells and 75% spell resistance for 20s (basically a short duration almost absolute protection against most spells. Note that setting both to 75% would have caused the 25% non reflected single target spells to be resisted 75% time, which I find confusing.) It can be abused through WoD, but not really more that what some MC can get (Unbending Trunk, Blade Turning)

OK, I think I'm going to leave alone Minor Arcan Reflection and Arcane Reflection cause there is no consensus on proposed change (based on @Noqn and @thelee feedbacks) about how to fix them (with a technically feasibility and non-weird design proposal). I had this in mind for weeks without coming up with an idea.

They will stay situational spells. Minor one will be the one you use when hit from time to time, normal one when against more intense fire (Auranic...). The important part is that these spells have some use where they feel optimal, even if they won't be part of an (optimized) buffing routine.

I will change Llengrath's as specified above cause this one is the biggest offender as a Tier 9 and I haven't receive much negative feedback about the above proposal.

Edited by Elric Galad

7 hours ago, NotDumbEnough said:

IMO, level 9 Blessing of Wael on priests should be changed to foe only for the counter-attack effect. Otherwise a lot of casters will constantly get hit by the effect due to friendly fire, e.g. standing in a friendly druid's Tanglefoot.

OK, I have changed the effect and I will test it.

Another point : Entropy. I've already made following changes to this Tier 8 druid spell :

Entropy:
- Added 3 Base Bounce (Base 4 Targets)
- Number of procs raised from 3 to 5. 
- Charges are not consumed by Graze and Crit anymore
- Removed Interrupt part

However, even with procs, I feel it is a bit meh as a Tier 8, and I think I will set the number of procs to either 7 or 10. What do you think ? Is 10 Hit to Crit too much ? It adds damages and sort of Bypass armor, but the charge limit makes it a bit let convenient vs Single Target than Rust.

Edited by Elric Galad

52 minutes ago, NotDumbEnough said:

Personally I think it should be an auto-hit single target ability much like Hand of Berath. It's not worth using against anything other than extremely durable targets so the ability should double down on that.

I don't disagree. But I wanted this ability to be more distinguished from Rust, that's why I went with a pseudo AoE instead of giving it the same treatment as Hand of Berath. I'm leaning toward setting it to 10 Hit to Crit. That would make it solid enough to spam vs groups while benefitting various abilities.

On 11/7/2021 at 12:18 AM, NotDumbEnough said:

IMO, level 9 Blessing of Wael on priests should be changed to foe only for the counter-attack effect. Otherwise a lot of casters will constantly get hit by the effect due to friendly fire, e.g. standing in a friendly druid's Tanglefoot.

Tried to change it, but didn't work. I changed the retaliation condition from On Hit or Crit to On Damaged, which will solve the specific issue for Tanglefoot (but not for Chill Fog) and also buff the spell a bit.

By the way : BPM Entropy is broken, and has no limit. At all. The condition I've set to avoid consuming charge with Graze or Crit doesn't work. Somehow I failed my testing.

Therefore, I'm going to tweak the spell to 15s duration which will be much cleaner. That and the 3+ bounces previously added will make the spell quite neat as a Tier 8 for buffing party damages and enabling Wildstrike Frenzy proc (with the bounce, you're pretty guaranteed to have a valid target to proc Wildstrike Frenzy, even with a roll vs Fortitude). Basically comparable to Sundering Blow powered by a Rod when it comes to beating Armor (without convenience of no casting time and roll vs deflection, and without the attack damages), but should be in the range of what you expect from a Tier 8 spell.

It should be very good for party synergy without having too much to worry about the number of triggers. 

Edited by Elric Galad

Not technically an issue with this mod, but still a useful bugfix if possible: Chanter invocations count as spells for Shifters (cannot use invocations while shifted) but not for Arcane Archers (non-elemental invocations suffer an accuracy penalty as Arcane Archer). Would be more consistent if it counted as spells for both scenarios.

• Thanks 1