I really liked TOW, but like many of you I also thought the story and world could use a bit more work. The game's critique of capitalism felt pretty hollow and the game's tone was all over the place. It wanted to be Futurama but also serious. What made Fallout great was the it was an extremely depressing game with some dark humor sprinkled on top. It seems that the devs went for the reverse (a "fun" world but with a layer of depression underneath) but missed the mark. I don't dislike this new style, but obviously the devs need to find the right balance.

The game also had a lot of worlds, but they weren't large or had a lot going on. For TOW 2 I think it would be better with fewer but larger worlds. Make each of them more impactful (more quests, locations, enemies, player homes, etc.) 3 worlds max would honestly be fine for me. I hated having to spend time going to my ship, entering it, speaking to the console, then waiting for a load screen, then exiting the ship to finally be at a new world where I had like 1 quest to complete. Fewer worlds!

3rd person mode would also be great so we can see the character we made.

I see TOW as a series that isn't as big and ambitious as Elder Scrolls or Witcher. I don't need a giant world map with 300 dungeons, 100 weapons, 200 enemy types and tons of other bull****. New Vegas was made in 18 by reusing assets and using the same engine, do that for TOW 2. What matters is the role playing, not that it has the newest rendering system and that you have to redo every rock and tree texture. I think TOW 2 has the potential to be a masterpiece.

• Like 1

I agree on the loading screen issue that Obsidian seems to be expanding on the use of instead of shrinking, for all it flaws one thing I thought Fallout 76 did do was make the world have less loading screens.  There was still interiors of buildings to enter but you could run across the world from end to end without having a loading screen occur, just can't seem to do that with the newer Obsidian games. 

A way around having to enter your ship was already introduced on Monarch when you could move the ship through a terminal between ports, so it would make sense to have a wrist intercom that would allow you to call your ship to you.  Then have it access the galaxy map to allow you to  choose where you wanted to go so all the enter-choose location-exit would occur in the background so you see one loading screen.  Which would place you at the door of your ship on the exterior, they used a similar system in Fallout 2 with the car so it should be easy for them to revive it in TOW 2.

So many people wanted 3rd person so I hope they listened and will implement it in TOW 2.

As for reusing assets I hope that in addition they add in new creatures and fauna as each world should be different from the other.  I would also like to see some sentient beings we could interact with other then just shooting them in the face.   They kind of went with the 100 weapons in TOW but outside the science weapons they all felt the same so if they shrink that down to 20 weapons but made them have distinctive differences so your choice really mattered on what you used.   They could keep the mod idea but make them more exclusive to each weapon since this would cause players to get drops they couldn't use a system that allowed you to break down a mod to recreate it in a more useful form would be good.  Thinking of FO:NV ammunition system to base it off or tied into the science skills already there in TOW.

• 11 months later...

We should have some never ending jobs and changing relationships with different actions. This jobs and actions can be chosen from a same pool but imagine that it never ending. An example is being taxi driver in GTA and having different customers anytime. Of course this is very simple example but this is just an idea. We can have like this 100 different way of earning money or 100 different never ending action effecting the relationships negative or positive way. It would be good to continue the game with some more excitement even if we finish all objectives.

And one game logic recommendation, maybe consumables can be improved, I didn't need all of them because they are so much confusing. If they are categorized, for example with color, green is for health, blue is for dialog skills, yellow is for ... then it can be more easy to choose. Their effects can still stay, just colors for each category can be added to differentiate easily.

Edited by sholl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sholl said:

We should have some never ending jobs and changing relationships with different actions. This jobs and actions can be chosen from a same pool but imagine that it never ending. An example is being taxi driver in GTA and having different customers anytime. Of course this is very simple example but this is just an idea. We can have like this 100 different way of earning money or 100 different never ending action effecting the relationships negative or positive way. It would be good to continue the game with some more excitement even if we finish all objectives.

And one game logic recommendation, maybe consumables can be improved, I didn't need all of them because they are so much confusing. If they are categorized, for example with color, green is for health, blue is for dialog skills, yellow is for ... then it can be more easy to choose. Their effects can still stay, just colors for each category can be added to differentiate easily.

I actually touched on this in my DLC idea forum. 

The random repeatable jobs are a really good idea. 

I also want to say that TOW-DLC POG got really dark that didn't really match the overall tone of the game as well. I won't get into specifics but I felt edgy the entire time. If you read the terminal messages in the base game the content is fairly dark though. But I do tend to agree with this post.