Hey yall. Hope everyone is staying safe.

I've been debating on a couple of different characters for a new run. Maybe I'll make it easy on myself and just do two separate playthroughs of both. The two I had in mind are a Marking Darcozzi Paladin (since this concept sounds really fun), and Boeroer's Bilestomper.

Thing is, I have no idea how these guys transfer to Poe2, and I'd like to continue them there. Is it possible to play those types of characters in Poe2 and have them be still fun? I know Marking isn't a thing any more in Poe2, and I'm not sure if the items exist in Poe2 to support the Bilestomper playstyle.

But maybe there's a way to make a rough approximation of either build? I'm getting that character creation paralyzation since I both can't decide on a Poe1 main but also can't decide on how those chars would progess in Poe2 lol. I'd be playing on POTD but I'm not super concerned about min maxing to the nth degree as long as the characters still play fun.

Unfortunately a marking Darcozzi doesn't work in Deadfire because a) Inspiring Liberation is no more, b) Coordinated Attacks is no more and c) marking weapons don't exist (at least not like in PoE). Also Darcozzi is maybe the worst Paladin subclass in Deadfire.

Bilestomper would still work - kind of. Other items of course - but you can still follow the principle of raising fortitude and defenses against disease and poison into the sky and make you basically immune to such spells. There are still spells like Fetid Caress, Noxious Burst, Malignant Cloud and Death Ring. Due to multiclassing there would be a whole lot of options. For example you could combine Helwalker-Monk with Wizard. Helwalkers can get +10 MIG and +10 CON at 10 wounds which would mean +40 Fortitude. If you already start with 20 MIG and 20 CON (Mountain Dwarf) it's even +80 at ten wounds. 
Or you can go Paladin/Wizard and use the paladin's resitances and especially Righteous Soul to make you completely immune to such spells.
Wizard/Chanter could also be a thing. There are "Bile"-themed chants and invocation that fit pretty well.
I guess Paladin/Wizard would be the most straightforward combo. It's also awesome defensively so that you can still tank very well while casting.
Then you have items like Cauldron Shard, Voidward, Rakhan Field Boots, Mundane Shell, Cadhu Scalth, Iridescent Scale and such things. You could use Concelhaut's Draining Touch as summoned weapon: if you cast it from a grimorire and the switch the grimoire to one which hasn't that spell it will stay with xou for the rest of the fight (drains health and does corrode damage and targets will instead of deflection, also weakens enemies on hit).

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks. Yeah I'll have to keep thinking about which of the two I wanna try first. I suppose the Marking Pally even if it doesn't exist in poe2 could still become a Paladin/Rogue or something similar and be still effective, but it would have to be more of a single target dps rather than specifically a marker. I know Darcozzi is weak in Poe2, but the +10 accuracy on Liberating is kinda nice in poe1, and it is a different type of Pally than I have played in the past. But I've also not really played Goldpact so maybe I ought to do that.

Both of those Wizard options sound intriguing. Wizards are just powerful in general I guess and so Bilestomper would probably have less issue porting over to Poe2 maybe. Though I do wonder how well the max str/con and minimum dex would play there given the slower casting speed on stuff in Poe2. Something to experiment with I suppose? 

He would be incredibly slow at first, especially in heavy armor. I'm testing a 3-DEX Furyshaper atm and it's a real slog. :)

But with Alacrity (+5 DEX and speed bonus) as well as fast casting (casting speed bonus) it should be alright.

• Thanks 1

There's also a Berath's Blessing (+2 to all attributes) which could be used to even out the DEX (from 2 to 14) while keeping the rest of the attributes the same. Or DEX 10 and giving MIG and CON +2 each or so.

14 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

There's also a Berath's Blessing (+2 to all attributes) which could be used to even out the DEX (from 2 to 14) while keeping the rest of the attributes the same. Or DEX 10 and giving MIG and CON +2 each or so.

That's a good point. I suppose the stats are a lot more forgiving in Poe2 if you have that blessing on. I usually do have it enabled on my runs.

Well, gonna start with Bilestomper and I'll have to think about which of your class combos to pick when I get to poe2. But should be fun for now :).

The marking Paladin will be next up after that but I'll have to give some more thought on how I want to build out that character given that style isn't possible in Poe2. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been playing this and enjoying it so far. One thing that is tricky is getting the hang of party positioning. While my Dwarf is quite resistant to his acid baths, Eder is not, so it's taking some practice positioning him properly :).

I've focused a lot of my party members on being more ranged focus. Pallegina for example is using a Blunderbuss and is basically there to defend my backline. Eder I try to position just behind my Dwarf to get some hits on while not getting hit himself. Maybe a reach weapon would have been a better idea for him, but right now I have him dual wielding hammers. One funny thing I've done as well is I gave Aloth a lot of the same type of spells Bilestomper likes to use because why not have Aloth tossing acid spells onto me too? I can take it. It's basically free aoe :). 

It's an interesting playstyle and I enjoy it a lot for that. It already feels decently strong at level 7 and I have none of the powerful equipment it's going to end up with yet so it should get stronger still.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doing pretty well with this build. Some fights are more challenging because of the slowness. Lagafueth are a bit of a pain because they like to sit at range so I can't easily get them into range to melt them and even with high armor you can take a beating from them quick if you don't get some CC off. I tend to mix it up a bit versus them and throw more insta cast spells like Shadowflame etc. And Durgan's Battery in general was not quite optimal for this guy since all those enemies are immune to poisons and such. But Wizards have other spells that are strong too so in there I just focused more on spells they werent immune to. And some of those like Necrotic Lance and Concelhaut's Touch still worked in there.

Now that I recently got Woedwys and will soon have Diving Helmet (got the quest finally, just gotta pick it up at the stronghold) this build should really come together.

Taking the game at a slow and steady pace but making progress. Gonna be fighting the White Dragon soon. This guy should be a good tank against that Dragon thanks to his high elemental resists. 

Still not sure where I'll take this in Poe2, but I have a while to decide still. Lots of game left. It's taking me longer than normal to finish these runs since I've been playing a lot of WoW lately too lol. But I always make sure to get some Poe in when I can.