Looking for build to complete main campaign and all three dlcs relatively easy.

I'm mostly drawn to multiclasses that have interesting names like Witch, Celebrant, Tempest, Hierophant, etc... but willing to give away with that and just play something fun. I would love to play some caster class or some fake caster class like chanter or cipher.

I would also love some ideas for party composition.

update, doing this in real time, difficulty hard

Try to keep it simple and not throw overly complicated names, please

Edited by Melusina

Blood Mage / Assasin Spellblade is pretty cool, particularly in Turn Based mode, where the ray spells are considerably stronger. Nuking from stealth with large bonuses for your spells. And some nice passives. 

Otherwise Cipher multiclasses are cool, particularly Ascendant or maybe Beguiler with Monk Helwalker Transcendent or maybe Ranger/Cipher. 

SoulBlade / Trickster works as well. 

Fighter Black Jacket is also pretty fun, you get to fast switch and use a lot more of the shiny toys you find. Could go well with Cipher, Blood Mage or Rogue. 

Edited by Haplok

53 minutes ago, Melusina said:

seriously?

yes. there might be some difficulty spikes near the end of SSS and FS, but normal is pretty forgiving.

depending on your target difficulty, my recommended answers sort of vary in how much min-max-y or metagame-y they get.

it also matters whether or not you do turn-based mode, which haplok alludes to.

1 hour ago, thelee said:

yes. there might be some difficulty spikes near the end of SSS and FS, but normal is pretty forgiving.

depending on your target difficulty, my recommended answers sort of vary in how much min-max-y or metagame-y they get.

it also matters whether or not you do turn-based mode, which haplok alludes to.

main post updated

35 minutes ago, Melusina said:

all content

Then it's another story :

- Megaboss 1 : Nothing special, having at least 1 priest (Single or Multiclassed) is heavily recommanded for Salvation of Time and Barring Death Door
- Megaboss 2 : Nothing special, but having a Rogue with Gouging Strike is extremely helpful in my experience
- Megaboss 3 : Some Interrupts or Summon greatly help.
- Mgaeboss 4 having at least 1 priest (Single or Multiclassed) is heavily recommanded

Having at least a Cipher (Single or Multiclassed) with Ancestral Memory is recommanded. as a source of Brilliant. Some items can provide it, but not as reliably. This Cipher shall be a different character from the Priest.

Also having a good source of Dispell is nice for a certain encounter. But following item may be sufficient :
https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Street+Sweeper

Edited by Elric Galad

7 hours ago, Melusina said:

all content

definitely bring a long a chanter or cipher. priest also.

chanter has huge amounts of persistence because their chants and invocations are basically infinite. with some good chants and a quality summon invocation they will basically carry any party through most of the megaboss fights. I recommend either a single-class or multi-class bellower or troubadour, mostly because they are both capable of getting 100% uptime on animated weapons or dragon, just via different mechanisms (though ingeneral troubadour is widely considered the best chanter subclass, or at least the most versatile).

cipher for similar reasons - they have ancestor's memory which casts Brilliant for resource regeneration over long fights - only affects party members, but a cipher him/herself has a regenerating class resource. A single class cipher can also get Reaping Knives, which not only helps their focus regen, but can give you a massive DPS boost in some of the tougher fights (especially megabosses) where you might have an extremely hard time having enough PEN against the enemy armor. you also effectively have infinite healing via pain block.

priest has plenty of support options (salvation of time is a big one, mentioned upthread) and there are degenerate options open to you if you have a source of brilliant (either via cipher or some other metagaming option) so you can use priest effects perpertually.

you don't have to bring one of these along, but they make the tougher fights so much easier that these days i always have at least a chanter/cipher along with a priest.

Edited by thelee