"A disk read error occurred"

Brion Kelly

So yesterday I bought Outer World's and I played for hours with no issue. My pc isn't terrific but it seemed to be running the game well enough on low settings. This morning I booted it up and played for a few minutes and my computer crashed completely. Now I can't even use my computer. Every time I restart it I'm met with a screen displaying the message "A disk read error has occurred". No clue how to fix it 

If you can't even boot up your system, that looks like a hardware fault, possibly the hard drive. Try checking the disk's connectors. Failing that, you could try booting from a different drive, if possible, and run a diagnostic on the faulty drive.

Since this isn't really TOW related I'm also moving this to Skeeter's where it's more likely to be seen by our resident techies.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

• 2 weeks later...

As the moderator said most likely your HDD has failed.  Not typical for the connector to fault or the motherboard.   The easiest way to replace your drive is to get a clone station and a new disk and clone the old disk to a new one, if it can even work, Either way you need the new disk and the clone station is handy to have.  You could expect to pay 200 in labor on top of the price of a new disk to have someone else do it for you. 

Here is a link to a reliable unit we use at our firm. Make sure the new disk you purchase is the same size or bigger than the one that has failed.

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Dual-Bay-Docking-Function-FD2002/dp/B00N1KXE9K

If the link changes just check on Amazon for Hard Drive Dock, Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay External

Edited by coralzombie