Game suggestions! RPG, platformer, 35€ mark

Melusina

OK, I'm looking for either good platformer or RPG to buy. Currently have 35€ and I'm stomped. I feel like my money is just sitting on my wallet and I really need to buy something. I have tried clearing my backlog, but I keep getting obsessed about that wallet funds!

requirements:

single purchase only or single purchase without much overpriced dlc, no internet connection required to play, 35€/$ mark, steam only games

What are my top games:

Divinity OS 2, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Thea 2 The Shattering, Atelier Ryza, Lulua and Ayesha, Mages of Mystralia, Bard's Tale IV, Nine Parchments, The Witcher 3, Monster Boy and Cursed Kingdom, Tangledeep, Kynseed, Ghost of a Tale, La Mulana 2, Trine series, Neverwinter Nights duology

honorable mentions:  Minoria, Book of Demons, Children of Morta, Deadfire, Shadwen, Octopath, Amalur...

What I'm not after: crpgs, yeah I know I have few crpgs on my list, but that's just because they are good games, not because I crave for old skul games

my public profile:

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198254045418/

I sincerely hope you're stumped rather than stomped.

I think Steam made it so owned games information is not freely available so they can sell that data instead of giving it away to everyone. Meaning that posting your profile doesn't do much.

In any case, Dragon Age Origins and the Mass Effects seem missing from your mentions. Those would be the obvious starting suggestions, and they should be dirt cheap by now as well. For platformers, 20xx is a roguelike platformer that's an obvious ripoff of Megaman, so that may or may not be up your alley. It's coop, so it has that going for it too.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

5 minutes ago, 213374U said:

I think Steam made it so owned games information is not freely available so they can sell that data instead of giving it away to everyone. Meaning that posting your profile doesn't do much.

but that thing is public

8 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Your Steam profile works fine for me.

Yeah, weird. On Epic (the browser I use by default) and IE, it fails. On Opera it works.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Just now, algroth said:

Have you tried either Hollow Knight or Disco Elysium yet? Two of the finest games of the decade imo.

I have considered buying disco, but lack of combat and non fantasy setting is no-go for me. Hollow knight... I might get that, but thing is... I think it's too hard for me... La Mulana for example overstayed her welcome.

4 minutes ago, Melusina said:

I have considered buying disco, but lack of combat and non fantasy setting is no-go for me. Hollow knight... I might get that, but thing is... I think it's too hard for me... La Mulana for example overstayed her welcome.

Might be a slight spoiler, but Disco is a non-fantasy setting to an extent. There are certain paranormal elements to the setting and there's especially a lot of oneiric or surreal influence to all of it. All in all the feel isn't specifically realist or grounded, is what I mean. You might still want to give it a try!

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

2 hours ago, Melusina said:

OK, I'm looking for either good platformer or RPG to buy. Currently have 35€ and I'm stomped. I feel like my money is just sitting on my wallet and I really need to buy something. I have tried clearing my backlog, but I keep getting obsessed about that wallet funds!

requirements:

single purchase only or single purchase without much overpriced dlc, no internet connection required to play, 35€/$ mark, steam only games

What are my top games:

Divinity OS 2, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Thea 2 The Shattering, Atelier Ryza, Lulua and Ayesha, Mages of Mystralia, Bard's Tale IV, Nine Parchments, The Witcher 3, Monster Boy and Cursed Kingdom, Tangledeep, Kynseed, Ghost of a Tale, La Mulana 2, Trine series, Neverwinter Nights duology

honorable mentions:  Minoria, Book of Demons, Children of Morta, Deadfire, Shadwen, Octopath, Amalur...

What I'm not after: crpgs, yeah I know I have few crpgs on my list, but that's just because they are good games, not because I crave for old skul games

my public profile:

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198254045418/

I noticed a few JRPGs in your list, if you want to go that route I suggest you fire up an emulator and (totally and legally acquire games that should be freeware because their companies are defunct and haven't done anything with license) They're shorter than modern games but still retain their charm.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Anima: Gate of Memories;

Alpha Protocol;

Beyond Good & Evil;

Contrast;

Dex;

Dishonored;

Double Cross;

Loren: The Amazon Princess;

Mars: War Logs (or any other game by Spiders);

Prince of Persia;

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

• Like 1

As platformers go:

I see you have Celeste, though with suspiciously low hour count. If that is something you enjoyed, you can't go wrong with good old SuperMeatBoy.

On a less manually demanding front: Rayman: Origins and Raymen: Legends two superbly enjoyable games - the latter does come with Ubi-thingy and has some online components. 

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - don't recall seeing that in your list. A superb and content rich game.

Freedom Planet: I recently played 2 supposively good Sonic games, and I thought they were terrible. Freedom Planet was like Sonic but good.

Mark of the Ninja - superb 2d stealth game.

More unusual but still: Snake Pass - an original and super enjoyable platformer. Played with with keyboard and mouse, but controller recommended. Not too long, but very novel. 

Played through Hollow Knight recently and I thought it was superb. It's combat is very deliberate, but quite simple, and if you don't go for 100% and optional hard bosses, it should be too hard. You do get bang for you buck.

Spelunky. Excellent roguelite, and a replayable platformer. Steep learning curve. 

RPG:
Fallout New Vegas- must play RPG. 

Other:

I wouldn't be me, if I didn't recomment Supergiant Games - Bastion is a classic, Pyre is the weird one and my favourite. Transistor is pretty, but not as engaging. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Melusina said:

has anybody played We Happy Few? otherwise, I really might get either Shovel knight or Hollow Knight.

37 minutes ago, Melusina said:

aaaaaannnnnd I got We Happy Few.

You have some impulse control issues don't you? I hope your finances can handle such :)

166215__front.jpg