What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday

Amentep

Other than sheltering in place, that is.

Old thread - 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My upper back/spine went haywire again (PSA: always use non-slip thingies in the shower/tub ppl, so you don't have potential long term injury flareups like this), so I've been mostly alternating between standing and lying down, (sitting tends to be very bad for it, for me, because spinal posture changes too much). Extra large heating pads are awesome.

btw, y'know those joke pictures of people using game controllers while lying nearly flat? Can anyone really do that for more than 15 minutes? It's way too arm-awkward. Just saying.  :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Setting up an old Win98 pc. Managed to get everything working and hooked up to the internet. Since my router is in another room and wasn't sure if a wireless usb adapter would work on this, I instead set up a spare wifi extender that I had and set it next to the pc. I then ran a network cable from the pc to the wifi extender, Ping is a touch high but I now have broadband on my old pc. lol.

image.png.528a209a798fec59d2cc26eece4f5023.png

Also, using something called KernelEX to run Win 2000 / XP versions on Win 98 and it works quite well.

I did find it funny transferring some old programs from another pc with a 64gb usb drive. I forgot it was NTFS and while the pc recognised the drive, I couldn't see the files. I facepalmed and said, FAT32! ugh! After reformatting the usb drive to FAT32 and transfered the files, I noticed my usb drive was bigger than my 40gb HDD.

Really fun playing around with an old computer to see what it can run. The specs are quite reasonable for this pc and managed to get all the hardware to work. Fantastic playing this on a modern monitor. Plus I have a tonne of old games I can play.

• Like 2

Yesterday: Driving a tractor-trailer.

Today: Driving a tractor-trailer.

Tomorrow: Driving a tractor-trailer.

On Friday, however, I get home and get to join the rest of Murica in #QuarantineLife, which will consist of bike riding (weather permitting), vidya games, and day drinking.

• Like 6

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Got myself an Oster to cut my own hair.  Well, ok, to ruin my hair.  Wasn't cheap but from reviews and past experience these things last a long time, so may be worth it. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

33 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Yesterday: Driving a tractor-trailer.

Today: Driving a tractor-trailer.

Tomorrow: Driving a tractor-trailer.

On Friday, however, I get home and get to join the rest of Murica in #QuarantineLife, which will consist of bike riding (weather permitting), vidya games, and day drinking.

Thank you Sir!

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Picked a hell of a time to go into nursing.  Started at the hospital right before things got hot and heavy here in the US.  I've had to reuse PPE gowns and don't even ask about the masks.  I question the county government mandating everyone wear a cloth petri dish over their noses and mouths, but I suppose they figure people will wear them properly *enough* that the benefits will outweigh the risks.  I don't trust that, but then again I see healthcare workers wearing masks wrong all the time.  My favorite was seeing two CNAs wheeling an iso patient down the hall.  One wore the mask properly.  One had a mask cover most of his mouth, more or less, but not his nose.  The patient didn't have on a mask at all.  Yep.  That's all kinds of wrong.  Even an N95 mask, which are under lock and key at this point, isn't really more effective than nothing unless its worn properly.  Anyhow, it's not too bad where I live.  Not a huge number of Covid-19 cases.  Maybe famous last words, but I've been living on borrowed time for years, so... :shrug:  I am worried about my wife, though.

I want to thank you also, Keyrock.  Keep moving those goods around the country.  We'd all be screwed otherwise.  Hell, I appreciate the folks at the local restaurants where I can pick up food.  My wife has been doing the cooking for the first time in our marriage, and the learning curve has been steep for her.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

"Not for the sake of much time..."

51 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

Picked a hell of a time to go into nursing.  Started at the hospital right before things got hot and heavy here in the US.  I've had to reuse PPE gowns and don't even ask about the masks.  I question the county government mandating everyone wear a cloth petri dish over their noses and mouths, but I suppose they figure people will wear them properly *enough* that the benefits will outweigh the risks.  I don't trust that, but then again I see healthcare workers wearing masks wrong all the time.  My favorite was seeing two CNAs wheeling an iso patient down the hall.  One wore the mask properly.  One had a mask cover most of his mouth, more or less, but not his nose.  The patient didn't have on a mask at all.  Yep.  That's all kinds of wrong.  Even an N95 mask, which are under lock and key at this point, isn't really more effective than nothing unless its worn properly.  Anyhow, it's not too bad where I live.  Not a huge number of Covid-19 cases.  Maybe famous last words, but I've been living on borrowed time for years, so... :shrug:  I am worried about my wife, though.

I want to thank you also, Keyrock.  Keep moving those goods around the country.  We'd all be screwed otherwise.  Hell, I appreciate the folks at the local restaurants where I can pick up food.  My wife has been doing the cooking for the first time in our marriage, and the learning curve has been steep for her.

I'm just doing my job, you're right there on the front lines dealing with the ill. I'm the one who should be thanking you, and I am. Thank you.

Everyone in the "essential jobs" fields right now is getting put at greater risk, healthcare field especially,  but we also have job security, so it's a blessing and a curse.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, MedicineDan said:

Thank you sir!

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, MedicineDan said:

I question the county government mandating everyone wear a cloth petri dish over their noses and mouths, but I suppose they figure people will wear them properly *enough* that the benefits will outweigh the risks. 

y'know, this has been an issue for us since the mask thing took hold. am understanding how the cloth masks may help lower chances of a person with the disease passing it to others, and given how asymptomatic persons are transmitting the virus unknowing, such a precaution makes sense on a grand scale. however, those "cloth petri dishes" is increasing the chances o' catching something, particular for those with comorbidities. 

if it makes you feel better/worse, when the covid-19 thing became all too real, we couldn't help but think o' you having recent joined the nursing ranks. am knowing, given shortages o' supplies it is no doubt impossible for you to stay safe, but am nevertheless hopeful he who destroys passes your door w/o entering. 

thank you.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

My wife has been doing the cooking for the first time in our marriage,

But, you're still married? 🤔

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

3 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I didn't marry my wife for her cooking either😉

am gonna go out on a limb and guess she don't read this board's posts.

today we went to costco for neighbors, which reminded us how tomorrow we were gonna be starting our trip to sw desert locations-- week one with a companion and two additional weeks solo. 

*sigh*

signage at costco let us know there were no windex, disinfectant wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. however, there were children's diapers and bottled water. we also noticed the shelves were stocked with plenty o' adult diapers, no doubt an unexpected boon for the hoarders who has been having so much difficulty holding their water.

plenty o' rice at reasonable prices.

no flour save almond flour. almond flour?

have been seeing all kinda compliments on news channels for CA success in flattening their curve, but social distancing behavior were a bit disappointing in costo. positive side were, unlike last week, our 5:45 pm trip did not result in needing deal with an enormous line to gain entry to the store. 

more positive, davis ranch has plenty o' fresh asparagus, and they got the best asparagus we has found anywhere, evar. davis corn, tomatoes (roma and heirloom) and melons is also some o' the best anywhere, but such stuff is not available so early in the season. 

davis ranch also has fresh garlic and ginger, so am breathing a sigh o' relief.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

One of the things that I love about this board is that it's like a time machine.  I hope people take this as I mean it rather than how it may sound.  Nothing really changes that much here.  It's like a pocket dimension.

The people in these parts are kind of like family, both good and bad.  Sure, I feel kind of like the black sheep, but I don't mind.  I leave and do other stuff, but I always wonder what's going on here.  Eventually, I come back and poke my head in.  Apparently, my pedestrian style is *just* distinctive enough to recognize.

This is truly one of the tightest knit online communities I've ever seen, and I've been involved with a few.  Anyhow, I've always been kind of a loner.  Not the cool Fonzie leather jacket wearing kind.  More the one who can laugh and joke but is always looking for the exit.  This place is perfect.  I can come, play in the sandbox for a while, and then go.  When I come back, the band of brothers are still here, like Valhalla where all the warriors on every side feast each other with drink and song.  Nothing can pull this place apart.  Clearly, Covid-19 can't.

• Like 3

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Well half the board have been here for over a decade. Some pretty much two since they transferred over from the ooold black isle forums and other places.

I mean, I started lurking around here back shortly before the release of Alpha Protocol, and have been randomly filling the funny things with various memes ever since....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am gonna go out on a limb and guess she don't read this board's posts.

Oh no, I've tried but go she thinks this whole concept is really weird. Talking to a bunch of people you don't really know and sharing things with them. She's does, however, spend a lot of time on Instagram. 🤔

That said, she knows, and when she gets down on herself for not being a good cook it, oddly enough, cheers her up. 

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

My garden is fully sprouted. In fact the strawberries are ahead of schedule. My pear trees are in full bloom and covered in little white flowers. The magnolia trees down by the creek are in full bloom. Today I'll collect some of their leaves. I use a press to extract sap from them and mix with paraffin to make scented candles. The sun is shining, the air is clean and cool. All I hear are birds and squirrels, and the sound of the river in the trees. It's easy to forget that out there, past my now useless newspaper box the world is in terrible shape and people are hurting. 

Apparently I'm getting a $1200 check this week because it's based on income not assets. I'm donating the entire amount to River of Life in Munford. They are running three food banks in Munford, Covington, and rural Tipton County. 

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

This forum is akin to an "Epub" for me. I like to come in a chit chat and see the perspectives of other posters, especially those outside of NA. Theres also 3-4 posters Im thankful that I will never get stuck in a foxhole with. Always with the "heres 10 new problems for every solution", oof. Sad so sad. :lol: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Gromnir said:

have been seeing all kinda compliments on news channels for CA success in flattening their curve, but social distancing behavior were a bit disappointing in costo. positive side were, unlike last week, our 5:45 pm trip did not result in needing deal with an enormous line to gain entry to the store. 

I think California has benefited from a terrible public transit system. Hard to spread the virus when we are all sitting in traffic a car's length apart. :p

8 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

It's like a pocket dimension.

Yes, like purgatory.  Or Hell.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Had my last day as a yard jockey/traffic officer/route planner/yard tractor manager/gate guard/surveillance tech, on tuesday I'm starting the lorry driver training on full-time, while working. My replacement (Whom I trained to be a yard jockey less than a year ago) felt it hit home and actually started to get real nervous when I gave her my private number so she can reach me if she needs any help, she's now the senior at that place. And I just now realized that all the current jockeys are kids I actually taught. That's... a very weird though immensly satisfying feeling. At the same time I'm really quite sad, I kind of realize how much I'll miss 'em, same with the one really excellent boss I have.

My new bosses are going to be the ones I've written lengthy letters to complaining about all the **** they do wrong/don't do at all - that'll be fun.

As an added thing, we've got three birthdays this weekend in that group, so I bought some ice cream cake that we ate, and even with the birthdays, me and one other older jockey that is leaving at the same time, drops the average age by quite a bit. Atleast we were over 30 before, now we've got two people barely over 40, and the rest are 27 and down.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken