What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday

Amentep

2 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I find any suggestion to defund any police department counter productive and will just add to more crime and general instability 

People mostly want the budgets cut, not removed.  10-20% isn't going to result in anarchy, cop unions will stamp their feet and threaten that though.

Can you enlist neighbours to track down the people firing the fireworks ?  Maybe say they sound like gunshots ?

• Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I find any suggestion to defund any police department counter productive and will just add to more crime and general instability 

That's not how it works and in this case I'm all for "defunding" the police. They could then have a department that deals with stupid issues like this one and you know, so armed tough guys don't have to show up at every single little thing. That way the cops can respond to the stuff that only cops can respond to.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Everyone in the company has to take Agile Development training.  The cult hungers for members.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

That's not how it works and in this case I'm all for "defunding" the police. They could then have a department that deals with stupid issues like this one and you know, so armed tough guys don't have to show up at every single little thing. That way the cops can respond to the stuff that only cops can respond to.

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

People mostly want the budgets cut, not removed.  10-20% isn't going to result in anarchy, cop unions will stamp their feet and threaten that though.

Can you enlist neighbours to track down the people firing the fireworks ?  Maybe say they sound like gunshots ?

I hear you guys and this call to  " defund "  the police is a reaction to the heavy handiness of police due to specific cases like the  George Floyd death

But a police department is not generally considered an  institution that has a target and must be profitable, of course it shouldnt run at a loss. So even though I can understand  your examples the practical outcome of cutting any budget\defunding is less revenue in the beginning of the year will be allocated to that department which means either police will be retrenched or you will reduce other expenses like overtime or training. This will obviously impact morale and make the overall department less effective.  Is it fair that all police in  any station now have to suffer because of some bad actors?

And there  should be a level of real police training before we outsource any task to other groups like you guys suggested ....in other words surly you have to have real police responding to disturbances because until the police arrive how does anyone know that the issue is just " people using fireworks " and not an actual violent criminal encounter ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

am ok with defund... in certain situations. is not a one-size-fits-all solution by any means. do a little google research and compare camden defund efforts to philadelphia. camden defunded a few years past, and the new police department which replaced initial had 2x as many excessive force complaints as old department, but only initial. initial were a couple years btw, and how many municipalities is so patient? that said, through change in culture and concerted outreach, camden saw positive evolution o' their police, but it were not ez and there were growing pains. philadelphia did same w/o defunding . in fact, the model for camden, with the exception o' the complete defund, were philadelphia.

try and create a new and more huggable police and you is gonna see a need for increased functional cop funding as 'posed to less. efforts to retrain and implement community outreach which is anything more than a farce won't be cheap. chances are while your fledgling flower police is learning to hug rather than harm, you are gonna need pay sheriff to handle some o' the load, and sheriff won't do for free. sad to say, but crime won't stop 'cause police defund. gonna need pay somebody to do what defunded cops did.

defund is a double-edged sword which, on some level, is an abomination insofar as typical progressive-democrat ideology is concerned. genuine defund police is a last resort kinda move necessitated by the existence o' cop unions. if you think any substantial change to culture and training is gonna be implemented amongst cops who has a strong union, you is being extreme optimistic. unions frequent resist change for no other reason than they is wired to do so. every change is a first step onto the slippery slope, and so almost all change is presumptive opposed. 

IF you need get rid o' the union, then you need defund the police department. why did camden defund and philadelphia did not? main answer is camden believed they needed a genuine new start, and that couldn't happen with old union in place. progressive-democrats, busting unions? 

the gods grant the prayers of those whom they wish to destroy.

ain't meant to be so literal, but...

regardless, be careful 'bout asking for defund. is not a bad idea per se, but needs be careful planned and long-term issues may not be immediate obvious. defund is not a solution in and of itself. at the very least, becoming union busters should give democrats pause. 

but, to keep this less political, we will observe how we got one dog who has become increasing more sensitive to loud noises in recent years. were fireworks and gunshots which caused terror-shakes and peeing. is now overhead planes, loud rain and even heavy wind which has the little girl trying to find a safe place from the omni-directional bass sounds. 4th o' july has us closing widows even if temps is ok and watching movies or listening to music at somewhat excessive volumes in an attempt to drown out fireworks noises.

we got a small place near tahoe on nevada side o' the border. relative remote. have serious considered taking a few days and hauling the dogs up there to find some respite from the inevitable annual terror-fest which is the week o' the 4th.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

19 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I got home two hours ago from a weekend camping trip. Dinner saturday night was two fried smallmouth bass I caught while fishing in Realfoot Slough. I cooked them with instant grits and pan fried biscuits. Not exactly healthy but definitely delicious. 

I'm telling you guys, this modern world we live in has nothing to offer us that is worth the misery you pay to have it. One of these days I am going to go full on mountain man and leave it all behind. 

GD you not considering all the advantages with this modern world, how are you going to play Skyrim  and sip on delicious red wine if you living in the mountains ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

try and create a new and more huggable police and you is gonna see a need for increased functional cop funding as 'posed to less. efforts to retrain and implement community outreach which is anything more than a farce won't be cheap. chances are while your fledgling flower police is learning to hug rather than harm, you are gonna need pay sheriff to handle some o' the load, and sheriff won't do for free. sad to say, but crime won't stop 'cause police defund. gonna need pay somebody to do what defunded cops did.

I know all the defund and abolish proposals are all over the place and I can't really get behind the more extreme ones except maybe in the most extreme cases, as it should be a case by case situation, but I do see merit in limiting what police officers respond to. Things like fireworks and noise complaints, directing traffic, mental health stuff, and other stuff where you don't an increasingly militarized police force present. As I believe you have mentioned before that adding guns to pretty much any situation can complicate matters. I don't think we'll ever move beyond the need for police but I don't think they should be the one size fits all solution that they currently are. That's not to say that nobody responds to these situations but instead of the police we create a new department to handle that load and if something turns dangerous then the police can be called.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

GD you not considering all the advantages with this modern world, how are you going to play Skyrim  and sip on delicious red wine if you living in the mountains ?

I dislike absolutism of any variety. I was more thinking a "have my cake and eat it too" kind of scenario.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Everyone in the company has to take Agile Development training.  The cult hungers for members.

Agile seems to be a favorite new buzzword in a lot of places

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

38 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

If you pivot to agile development, what kind of value add proposition could you expect? Would this sort of retargeting help you disrupt the status quo and leverage your touchpoints? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

54 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

If you pivot to agile development, what kind of value add proposition could you expect? Would this sort of retargeting help you disrupt the status quo and leverage your touchpoints? 

Only if you maximize your synergistic diversity 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

Thomas Sowell

12 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Only if you maximize your synergistic diversity 

And dynamically exploit sustainable web-readiness.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 6/29/2020 at 11:43 AM, Guard Dog said:

8 total. Four parallel 2 cell strings. They are GNB M12V180FT 12V 180 AH marine batteries. There are two solar panels but each has two outputs. So each output is charging two batteries. All four battery strings are in parallel with each other with the inverter in series with all of them. 24V DC to 110V AC

Yowsa, batteries such as those aren't readilly available here, there are 800$ lithium batteries and then the jump is up towards the 9000$ range.

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 6/29/2020 at 5:52 AM, Guard Dog said:

"It can't happen here" I have heard of. It's now on my to-do list. Other than that I have read a few of Lewis's short stories. I KNOW have have some in several short story books here. Nothing jumps out from memory though. But Elmer Gantry as well as the rest of his novels were a whiff for me. 

If you've seen the "V" mini-series, you know the basics of IT CAN'T HAPPEN HERE, as it originally started life as an adaption of the book.  The original version (entitled "Storm Warning" and adapted by Kenneth Johnson) was aledgedly rejected as "too cerebral" for US audiences by NBC, so the American Facists were changed to space aliens who liked to eat people.  Also lasers were added. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

19 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

It's been that way for a while.  It's not a bad idea, but I find inevitably the process becomes more important than what the process is meant to support.

I woke up at 4 AM with a hamstring cramp. Mister you'd have an easier time sleeping through a bedroom fire than that!

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I woke up at 4 AM with a hamstring cramp. Mister you'd have an easier time sleeping through a bedroom fire than that!

more water. less bourbon.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 6/29/2020 at 5:39 PM, Malcador said:

let me know what you learned. I got it like 2 times already and I still dont understand wtf it means.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

18 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

let me know what you learned. I got it like 2 times already and I still dont understand wtf it means.

Well, I'll go with what I heard first..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Went for my first 10k in about 6.5 weeks. Think I had a major Type 1 or minor Type II sprain. Felt good to waddle again - will know more tomorrow how well healed the right ankle actually is!

• Like 3

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Saw the Dr. last week. Went back yesterday to discuss lab stuff. Mostly in pretty good shape. BP, A1C, red/white, weight, all ok.

I'd like to lose 15 lbs or so. And I gave up booze. Maybe for good this time. We'll see. I just don't get the enjoyment from it I once did. 

In other news I actually started playing a computer game (other than chess & OOTP) for the first time in years. I loaded, them modded up FO4 and away we go. So far I like it. Had a few restarts to work out mod conflicts and learn the controls and set it up the way I like it. I just found Dog Meat. The amazing thing is he actually acts like a dog for the first time ever.

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

Dog was best/cutest thing about FO4. Especially the goggles.

Lazy week or two.  More specifically, grumpy down in the dumps.  Just moody cyclic stuff. Lot of mobile games, naps and forcing myself to eat something. Last time I got on the scale it said 122lbs or so (6lbs loss?). Which wouldn't bother me if I was losing it for better reasons. Edit: Below 118 would be getting kind of underweight for me.

Anyone have ez higher calorie (that isn't ice cream, ha) food to buy/make for when one has no appetite let alone motivation for cooking? Fruit and bagels has not enough calories apparently.  😛  EditEdit: rice in not ginormous servings apparently doesn't have enough calories either

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts