What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday

Amentep

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Your soaked bra made me actually laugh out loud, but Im laughing with you, not at you. Ive sincerely got my fingers crossed that the meds get you blood pressure under control. πŸ‘

Hahaha! πŸ˜„

Excellent, thanks!

Yeah, it's a bit weird, I've recently bought a new "sphygmomanommeter", and my BP is varying between 100 and 200 depending on day/weather/mood/posting frequency of sharp_one.

I usually check with my local medical clinic 1/month what my actual BP is and compare to my (old BP machine) readings), but corona has ****ed things up massively for me. I either have way to low ( 90/60bp ) or to high (200/150). Edit; I might learn how to use it better, but I feel there is something massively wrong with this model, (Writing this, after a whole load of alcohol and sitting down just chilling, my BP is 127/83, no nicotine for about one hour - after having a cigarette It's 122 over 85.)

But I've taken some extra steps towards lowering the BP,Β  I've started exercising a bit and eating better. Helped by the fact that the best local burger place changed owners and went from "nomnom yum" to McDonalds quality, I find it a bit interesting that I'd drop about 1.5 kg (3.5 pounds) i na month just because I don't have easy access to excellent tasting food, who'd have thunk it?

So, to add, If anyone of you all, find yourselves in a postion where you find youselves in a need to keep check of your BP regularly, make sure that it matches what your clinic would get, you'll always have some variation, but bot all BP testing machines are created equal.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Worked, ofcourse - no corona vacation for me. We had a small thunderstorm roll on in at about 5pm. It was equal amounts of nice and awful, I was wading through 10-15cms of water on the yard, and thunder was striking all around us; it'd been atleast 30C the entire day, or atleast what it felt like, so it was welcome to get some cooling - downside; massive amounts of rain, I could barely see ten metres. I kept on working despite the thunder and lightning weather, so I was in a state of extreme stress whilst my coworkers was chilling and waiting for the rain to stop.

So I was soaking wet and to kept on working after the 15 or so minutes of intense rainfall, so I every piece of clothing I had was soaked through. And whilst being a yard jockey might sound like a nice lax job, it's actually more intense and physical than one might think, and working in soaked through clothes and underwear(underpants, pants, bra, t-shirt, socks and shoes) was extremely unpleasant and chafing is massive all over. It's ****ing ludirous how much skin I'm missing. Especially at the feet, that waterΒ  I was wading through was full of diesel, rubber, different oils and whatnot and it shows at my feet that has developed red spots all over and I wish I could dunk them in acid or something.

Β 

Came home, my sister (Incase you've missed it; We mix about as awell as oil and water) is moving in tomorrow in the house next to mine. So me and my mother chilled on the porch with booze, wine, beer and talk for a couple of hours. I drank about 60 cl of disgusting cognac (because "systembolaget" (Google for details) won't ship any proper booze) so I'm getting a bit tipsy from being dehydrated, my mother matched it so I have to give kudos to her; We were "celebrating" one of the last nights of peace and quite before my sister and her kids move in. It was nice, loads of chatting, filled my mother in on some medical details (She's a former nurse, psychiatric mainly, but also early on "normal"/General practicioner nurse) on some of my medical history, and apparently it had passed her completely by things that I've got fricking breasts and had a mammography, even though I told her about it, and she was... well, mocking, which was expected, but still that's as close as sympathetic she will get. It was nice chatting for a while, and just relaxing. Got to mock her back for her belief in Astrology, correcting her ofcourse as I'm likely to do when bull**** hits my face about history of astrology and things like precessesion of the equinoxes and similar. Now I'm feeling the booze hit hard, probably a bit dehydrated so going to binge water for a while but **** if it hasn't been a decent day anyway. Well, except the chafing.

Dear god, I'm getting to feel really drunk now. Niiiiiiiice. πŸ˜„

It'll be interesting to see how much sense this post makes tomorrow!

Absolutely nothing wrong with some drunken revelry,,,,,it should be mandatory in all countries at least once every 2 weeksΒ πŸ₯‚

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John MiltonΒ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -Β  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Β 

Β 

8 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with some drunken revelry,,,,,it should be mandatory in all countries at least once every 2 weeksΒ πŸ₯‚

Hooking up with a pair of young ladies tonight at one of their places for some take away food and an evening of video gaming and rum tasting... probably more of the latter ;)

Β 

Edit: Jackbox games amongst others, is quite fun when you can get a few people together (2-3 other will join us online). As for the rums... Kraken, Ratu (from Fiji), Bundaburg... a few others

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Yeah, it felt good πŸ˜„

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Our eldest pack member, in the course of three-five days has had a lung collapse partially and fill with fluid. Likely aggressive cancer - so we are beginning the walk which I would wish on no one. Likely bring him to the vet on Monday to release himΒ from his suffering.

• Sad 5

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

1 hour ago, Fionavar said:

Our eldest pack member, in the course of three-five days has had a lung collapse partially and fill with fluid. Likely aggressive cancer - so we are beginning the walk which I would wish on no one. Likely bring him to the vet on Monday to release himΒ from his suffering.

I would like to stress the point, that he's not talking about the moderator team πŸ‘€

Β 

Sorry to hear Fionavar. I know cats aren't always as close to people as other four legged friends, but I do I remember growing up with what can best be described as just about managing to make themselves an indespensable part of the family before fate decided it wasn't to be, After the third time, my parents decided it was too much heartbreak for us kids. I hope you and the rest of the pack will cope :(

Β 

• Thanks 1

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My father asked me to look over some pages of text he's written. His, uhm, command of German grammar* isn't the best, and so off to proofreading I went. German grammar rules are complex enough, but then there are exceptions, and even the exceptions sometimes have exceptions.

There is one in particular that drives me nuts. We have prepositions that force the use of certain cases even if said case would not be indicated otherwise. That's mostly fine, one eventually gets the hang of it (as native speaker, at least), but it wouldn't be German without exceptions. There's a small set of prepositions that can indicate the use of either dative or accusative case. An (meaning at, to, or by) is one of them.

Which case is indicated by the preposition then depends on what you want to express. A location following "an" is always in the dative case, e.g. Die Katze sitzt am Fenster (The cat is sitting at the window, am is a contraction of an and dem, the article of Fenster), unless the verb of the sentence is used to express direction towards/away from the location, i.e. Die Katze lehnt sich ans Fenster** (The cat is leaning against the window, ans being a contraction of an and das, accusiative case).

Confused yet? You probably should be. The dative case is always used when an is used with expressing time, e.g. Am Montag (Montag = Monday). There's actually no exception to that, which is a nice change of pace. There is, however, an exception for appositions whenever an is used to express time. Why? I have no idea. Really, none. Whenever you have an apposition that apposition inherits the case of the element it is in apposition to.

Which in the end means that when expressing a point in time with an, the following apposition can have either the dative or the accusative case. Both are considered correct. E.g. Am Montag, dem 23. JΓ€nner, gehen wir aus. and Am Montag, den 23. JΓ€nner, gehen wir aus. both meaning On Monday, January 23rd, we'll go out, and both are correct German.Β 

Using the accusative case feels wrong. It looks wrong. It just... isn't. It should be wrong, dammit! I was halfway through correcting every instance of den until I remembered that it's not really wrong. Bah.

* In his defense, German grammar was created by Satan himself as a means of torture, it's not uncommon to struggle. It's objetively hard even for us natives to write grammatically correct German.

** To make matters even worse, if you'd remove the third person reflexive pronoun sich (here meaning itself) from the sentence, you need to use the dative case again, e.g. Die Katze lehnt am Fenster (The cat leans against the window - no more present progressive) because lehnen alone no longer indicates any direction in the act of leaning, it's just something the cat does at the location. So that makes sense, does it? :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Tried posting in the metal thread but got a 403 forbidden, so see this as a test.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Tried posting in the metal thread but got a 403 forbidden, so see this as a test.

Were able to post Azdeus?

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

1 hour ago, Fionavar said:

Were able to post Azdeus?

Yeah, eventually, but I couldn't embed the youtube video straight off, had to post my text, went to edit the video in after the text, was told that my post didn't exist or had been posted for too long to edit. Tried a restarting the browser, didn't work, so I just posted a link to Youtube.

I got home two hours ago from a weekend camping trip. Dinner saturday night was two fried smallmouth bass I caught while fishing in Realfoot Slough. I cooked them with instant grits and pan fried biscuits. Not exactly healthy but definitely delicious.Β 

I'm telling you guys, this modern world we live in has nothing to offer us that is worth the misery you pay to have it. One of these days I am going to go full on mountain man and leave it all behind.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I got home two hours ago from a weekend camping trip. Dinner saturday night was two fried smallmouth bass I caught while fishing in Realfoot Slough. I cooked them with instant grits and pan fried biscuits. Not exactly healthy but definitely delicious.Β 

I'm telling you guys, this modern world we live in has nothing to offer us that is worth the misery you pay to have it. One of these days I am going to go full on mountain man and leave it all behind.Β 

waiting for gd to recognize the inherent irony in sharing such thoughts on a crpg developer's digital message board.

"no arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death: and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short."Β 

even so, sounds like a swell trip.

personal enjoyed the first day o' sub 100 FΒ in a week. dog walking in the AM and, for a change, indoor cooking as 'posed to the grill.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

38 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

waiting for gd to recognize the inherent irony in sharing such thoughts on a crpg developer's digital message board.

"no arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death: and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short."Β 

even so, sounds like a swell trip.

personal enjoyed the first day o' sub 100 FΒ in a week. dog walking in the AM and, for a change, indoor cooking as 'posed to the grill.

HA! Good Fun!

Just one of many vices i will gladly give up if/when the time ever comes.Β 

Edit: comment deleted. It was supposed to be a humorous jab at Gromnir for quoting Hobbs but it wasn't funny.Β 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

9 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Just one of many vices i will gladly give up if/when the time ever comes. You know a man who spent a career advocating for rights quoting Hobbs as often as your do is a tad ironic as well. Just sayin'Β :lol:

hobbes and Gromnir end at much different locations, but we start journey from a similar place. credit where credit is due. we also have been known to quote faulkner, but it don't make us a racist, and you know we don't love the south as he did. don't even get us started on nietzsche. if we were quoting hobbes as to proper role o' government, then you would have cause to question.

converse, gd is actual indulging in the vices. is this your elmer gantry moment? after all, who but one o' the truly depraved may understand what it is to be a sinner? preach on brother dog.

we kid.

that said, vices such asΒ vaccinations, nitrogen-based fertilizer and refrigeration isΒ stuff we would need be a bit obtuse to turn our back 'pon 'cause o' some sorta luddite moment. heck, we had our appendix burst in our early 30s, so, we would be dead w/o a few o' those infernal modern vices.Β 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

hobbes and Gromnir end at much different locations, but we start journey from a similar place. credit where credit is due. we also have been known to quote faulkner, but it don't make us a racist, and you know we don't love the south as he did. don't even get us started on nietzsche. if we were quoting hobbes as to proper role o' government, then you would have cause to question.

converse, gd is actual indulging in the vices. is this your elmer gantry moment? after all, who but one o' the truly depraved may understand what it is to be a sinner? preach on brother dog.

we kid.

that said, vices such asΒ vaccinations, nitrogen-based fertilizer and refrigeration isΒ stuff we would need be a bit obtuse to turn our back 'pon 'cause o' some sorta luddite moment. heck, we had our appendix burst in our early 30s, so, we would be dead w/o a few o' those infernal modern vices.Β 

HA! Good Fun!

Elmer Gantry. Hmmm Gromnir takes the ball from the top of the key, he shoots and .... two points. You stumped me on that one. Had to google it.Β 

But... the idea of cutting of all communication and commerce with the outside world, while appealing on some level, is both impractical and unnecessary.Β 

I've had this idea y'see. And when the GA Pacific Co pulled out of the area and startedΒ selling land for $500 an acre I thought about different reasons to invest. First and foremost I figured sooner or later someone is going to try and consolidate it. There were in fact, AFAIK, only three bidders. I was thinking a quick turnaround and make $200-$250 and acre, maybe better. Well, that didn't happen. So now it's "wait and see" like my other real-estate buys. Only the land is entirely forested and has noΒ hard road access or utility easements. Add to that the nearest town is Palmersville, literally just one intersection, and I figured I was stuck holding the bag on this one. Until I saw it.Β 

This is what they call in these parts "good bottom land". The Obion River runs right through it. Much like Cold Creek and the Hatchee River where I live does. I've had this idea for a completely self sufficient place. My house is, at best, 45% self sufficient. During the winter months I seldom receive a utility bill for more than $40. I have two large solar panels charging two 24V battery strings. They are connected to an inverterΒ and their outputs are in parallel with utility power. In a pinch I can shut off utility power and run off the batteries all night as long as I keep it under 20A. Basically I can run the refrigerator a fan and a radio and maybe charge my phone or kindle.Β Β During the summer.... well... my house is 1100 sq' and I do like AC. But the solar system does help.

But, if a house were designed to use DC power only, the solar system being it's sole electric power source you can dispense with the inverter. The inverter is the fly in the ointment where efficiency is concerned. Without an inverter a small house could run 24 hours on the batteries assuming

1) Keep the demand under 60ADC

2) At least 6 hours of direct sunlight every 24 hours. That is using the dimensions I have now. Increase solar panel area and you improve on that.Β 

So, 60 amps is not a lot. One or two lights, a small tv/tablet/laptop fan, etc. Forget any kind of appliance over a college dorm fridge with no freezer. So the appliances would be propane powered. I was looking at a propane powered refrigerator, 4 cubic ft, uses .12 gal of LP a day.Β  A propane stove is easy to find or make. But I was more thinking a wood burning stove. I am working on restoring one I found at the flea market now.Β 

Even this is not "self sufficient" Propane must be bought. Battery strings must be replaced every 10 years or so. But you can get really close without giving up much. Certainly you can go months on end, years even, without needing to buy anything or interact in any way with the outside world.Β Β 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Elmer Gantry. Hmmm Gromnir takes the ball from the top of the key, he shoots and .... two points. You stumped me on that one. Had to google it.Β 

But... the idea of cutting of all communication and commerce with the outside world, while appealing on some level, is both impractical and unnecessary.Β 

I've had this idea y'see. And when the GA Pacific Co pulled out of the area and startedΒ selling land for $500 an acre I thought about different reasons to invest. First and foremost I figured sooner or later someone is going to try and consolidate it. There were in fact, AFAIK, only three bidders. I was thinking a quick turnaround and make $200-$250 and acre, maybe better. Well, that didn't happen. So now it's "wait and see" like my other real-estate buys. Only the land is entirely forested and has noΒ hard road access or utility easements. Add to that the nearest town is Palmersville, literally just one intersection, and I figured I was stuck holding the bag on this one. Until I saw it.Β 

This is what they call in these parts "good bottom land". The Obion River runs right through it. Much like Cold Creek and the Hatchee River where I live does. I've had this idea for a completely self sufficient place. My house is, at best, 45% self sufficient. During the winter months I seldom receive a utility bill for more than $40. I have two large solar panels charging two 24V battery strings. They are connected to an inverterΒ and their outputs are in parallel with utility power. In a pinch I can shut off utility power and run off the batteries all night as long as I keep it under 20A. Basically I can run the refrigerator a fan and a radio and maybe charge my phone or kindle.Β Β During the summer.... well... my house is 1100 sq' and I do like AC. But the solar system does help.

But, if a house were designed to use DC power only, the solar system being it's sole electric power source you can dispense with the inverter. The inverter is the fly in the ointment where efficiency is concerned. Without an inverter a small house could run 24 hours on the batteries assuming

1) Keep the demand under 60ADC

2) At least 6 hours of direct sunlight every 24 hours. That is using the dimensions I have now. Increase solar panel area and you improve on that.Β 

So, 60 amps is not a lot. One or two lights, a small tv/tablet/laptop fan, etc. Forget any kind of appliance over a college dorm fridge with no freezer. So the appliances would be propane powered. I was looking at a propane powered refrigerator, 4 cubic ft, uses .12 gal of LP a day.Β  A propane stove is easy to find or make. But I was more thinking a wood burning stove. I am working on restoring one I found at the flea market now.Β 

Even this is not "self sufficient" Propane must be bought. Battery strings must be replaced every 10 years or so. But you can get really close without giving up much. Certainly you can go months on end, years even, without needing to buy anything or interact in any way with the outside world.Β Β 

How many batteries and what kind are you running?

I was actually looking at UPS's yesterday to be able to keep my computer safe from lightning mainly, and those were horribly depressing in both price and performance. I'm considering just running my computer on an inverter/battery system all the time, if nothing else to keep my computer safe from the disturbances that travel through the land line at times, whenever the neighbour down the road turns on his cirular saw and starts chopping up trees I can hear massive pops in my speakers.

Β 

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Β 

hmmm. weren't genuine going for obscure.Β 

we do highly recommend sinclair lewis. our favorite sinclair lewis is babbit, but am thinking elmer gantry might be the work which has aged best. it can't happen here, were on the reading list o' many in 1935 and 2016, but it is only a mediocre lewis effort even if it were, (and is) disturbing relevant.

would suggestΒ elmer gantry to gd if for no other reason it has been banned so frequent since its release. every good libertarian should have such a book on his reading list.Β 

you can always watch the movie, which is worth viewing for multiple reasons, not the least o' which is shirley jones performance o' lulu bains.

HA! Good Fun!

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

How many batteries and what kind are you running?

Β 

Β 

8 total. FourΒ parallel 2Β cell strings. They are GNB M12V180FT 12V 180 AH marine batteries. There are two solar panels but each has two outputs. So each output is charging two batteries. All four battery strings are in parallel with each other with the inverter in series with all of them. 24V DC to 110V AC

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

hmmm. weren't genuine going for obscure.Β 

we do highly recommend sinclair lewis. our favorite sinclair lewis is babbit, but am thinking elmer gantry might be the work which has aged best. it can't happen here, were on the reading list o' many in 1935 and 2016, but it is only a mediocre lewis effort even if it were, (and is) disturbing relevant.

would suggestΒ elmer gantry to gd if for no other reason it has been banned so frequent since its release. every good libertarian should have such a book on his reading list.Β 

you can always watch the movie, which is worth viewing for multiple reasons, not the least o' which is shirley jones performance o' lulu bains.

HA! Good Fun!

"It can't happen here" I have heard of. It's nowΒ on my to-do list. Other than that I have read a few of Lewis's short stories. I KNOW have have some in several short story books here. Nothing jumps out from memory though. But Elmer Gantry as well as the rest of his novels were a whiff for me.Β 

Thomas Sowell

With hubby home almost all the time for a while now, I've come to realize that (on his own, not in "work mode") he does not converse. He announces.

"Going to such and such store."Β  "I finally got the network taken care of."Β  "I'm going to mow the lawn before it gets windy."Β  "Think I'll make some sausage brats."

This is the equivalent of someone who always announces that they're going to the bathroom, only it applies to everything.Β  And then he stares at me like I'm supposed to respond/converse with anything more than "ok" and seems kind of disappointed if I don't. Β  :p

Now this isn't a complaint - I'm not much of a talker either, tho I do have talkative bursts (hubby does no such thing). I simply really never thought about it before. It's kinda funny.Β  Edit:Β  I guess I need to find more creative ways to respond to such announcements.Β  πŸ₯°

Edited by LadyCrimson
β€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Angry morning. Idiots have been shooting off fireworks, which are illegal where I live,Β every day for the past couple of months and last night they went for a record or something because I don't think they stopped until aboutΒ 4 in the morning. The cops don't do anything about it and don't even check things out when called and will end the conversation immediately if you don't know the exact address of where people are firing them off. All they have to do is drive around the area for 5 minutes and they'll see and hear them.

My poor dog

• Sad 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Calls to defund the Denver Police Department continue during contentious council meeting.

This should help the situation. :pΒ 

My doggo used to be scared of fireworks, and thunder, too.

I find any suggestion to defund any police department counter productive and will just add to more crime and general instabilityΒ 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John MiltonΒ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -Β  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Β 

Β