What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday

Amentep

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

That must be like watching old sitcoms with canned laughter 🤔

Well Arsenal got beat badly so....yes, was about as pleasant.  Sort of disappointed we didn't get some lame fake CGI fans

Time to change my Teams photo at work, been using JC Denton for too long.   Had considered the OpFlash cover, but figure that'd get me in trouble.  It did remind me that I've always been bothered as to why the guy's not aiming at the camera, or so it seems.

image.png.01c8fe91019e4c047e8bf2a05b849936.png

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 hours ago, Malcador said:

Watched some EPL football....with some fake crowd noises piped in on the broadcast.

That's probably still better than dead silence. When rasslin' first had to do shows without fans, initially WWE just had the matches in dead silence, and it was awful. AEW had the bright idea of having some of the wrestlers not competing at that moment form a small crowd around the ring to cheer, boo, and all that jazz. It's not the same as 5000 paid fans, but it's lightyears better than dead silence.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

That's probably still better than dead silence. When rasslin' first had to do shows without fans, initially WWE just had the matches in dead silence, and it was awful.

To be fair, I've seen people compare it to experimental theater.

19 minutes ago, Skazz said:

To be fair, I've seen people compare it to experimental theater.

isn't there something on the order o' 200 three stooges films, which has neither laugh track or crowd noise, though sound effects were added. if wwe is experimental theatre, that particular experiment started in the 1920s. whatever is wwe, the stooges did it earlier and better, though late 20th and early 21st century versions has added well-oiled actors in bathing suits, so there is that.

clearly Gromnir is not the target audience o' wwe.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am s'posing punch and judy came much earlier, but they did indeed play to live crowds back in the 17th century, or perhaps even 16th?

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 hours ago, Skazz said:

[laughtrack intensifies]

Well, not all sideeffects of medicines need to be unplesant, they're fricking nice I'll have you know :p

Though goddamn painfull, I'll tell you that, I really sympathize with girls plights when it comes to dealing with them.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

isn't there something on the order o' 200 three stooges films, which has neither laugh track or crowd noise, though sound effects were added. if wwe is experimental theatre, that particular experiment started in the 1920s. whatever is wwe, the stooges did it earlier and better, though late 20th and early 21st century versions has added well-oiled actors in bathing suits, so there is that.

hmmm...from memory, Ted Healey worked out the Stooges act with M. Howard, Fine and S. Howard around 1922 (Moe started as a single Stooge in 1921), but modern wrestling was developed by the Gold Dust Trio (Toots Mondt, Ed 'Strangler' Lewis and Billy Sandow) to replace declining-in-popularity exhibition style wrestling with a flashier, more exciting "Slam Bang Western Style Wrestling" style in 1919-1920.

Its the legacy of this style that Vincent J. McMahon bought into when he started Capitol Wrestling Corporation (later, WWWF, WWF, WWE) in the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) in the early 1950s. He even had Toots Mondt working for him for awhile. 

That said modern WWE wrestling has as much similarity to Slam Bang as it does with the Stooges, so maybe you are right, afterall...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

3 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Well, not all sideeffects of medicines need to be unplesant, they're fricking nice I'll have you know :p

Though goddamn painfull, I'll tell you that, I really sympathize with girls plights when it comes to dealing with them.

Oh God, I feel bad about this now.

I apologize for saying stupid stuff.

30 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Oh God, I feel bad about this now.

I apologize for saying stupid stuff.

Don't, I found it funny, or I wouldn't have clicked like 😃

I expected it, the medicine has two uses, as a potassium sparing diuretic and for male to female hormone treatments. Normally when you get it for high blood pressure you get relatively small doses, 25mg or so, I'm at 150mg.

Hell, I've even done mammography!

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

13 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Don't, I found it funny, or I wouldn't have clicked like 😃

I expected it, the medicine has two uses, as a potassium sparing diuretic and for male to female hormone treatments. Normally when you get it for high blood pressure you get relatively small doses, 25mg or so, I'm at 150mg.

Hell, I've even done mammography!

on the positive side, if they ever do a stage show o' fight club, (five minutes from now somebody will perhaps inform us there is such a thing... maybe even an ice show?) you got an inroad for playing meatloaf's part.

warning: first rule

Spoiler

in death, a member of project mayhem has a name. fare thee well azdeus. fare the well.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't remember if I talked about this, but I had a solid B cup on my leg after crashing my bike. It was just this weird sac of fluid hanging out right where I impacted. When I started running again, it would jiggle up and down painfully, so I started wearing a compression sleeve on my thigh. My wife used that as an opportunity to lecture me about the importance of good sports bras. Anyways, the fluid is nearly gone now, and my wife has upgraded her collection of sports bras. 

You have my sympathy, Azdeus. :)

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I don't remember if I talked about this, but I had a solid B cup on my leg after crashing my bike. It was just this weird sac of fluid hanging out right where I impacted. When I started running again, it would jiggle up and down painfully, so I started wearing a compression sleeve on my thigh. My wife used that as an opportunity to lecture me about the importance of good sports bras. Anyways, the fluid is nearly gone now, and my wife has upgraded her collection of sports bras. 

am hesitating to mention, but seems as if you has developed an increasing number o' peculiar and unfortunate health concerns since taking up serious fitness. no doubt the uptick is correlative, but...

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

on the positive side, if they ever do a stage show o' fight club, (five minutes from now somebody will perhaps inform us there is such a thing... maybe even an ice show?) you got an inroad for playing meatloaf's part.

warning: first rule

Reveal hidden contents

in death, a member of project mayhem has a name. fare thee well azdeus. fare the well.

HA! Good Fun!

Haha! I'd have to gain back alot of weight for that to happen! Not to mention drop to 12cm's height 😄

51 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Oh, yeah, I remember that! Those things are annoyingly expensive for what they are, if they were made for men they'd cost a fiver I bet. But noo, and I have need of them now, jumping up and down from the tractor, jogging and walking is.. a pain. Hence the measuring part.

Thank you 😃

27 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am hesitating to mention, but seems as if you has developed an increasing number o' peculiar and unfortunate health concerns since taking up serious fitness. no doubt the uptick is correlative, but...

HA! Good Fun!

You are correct. It's a weird shift. 

A few years and 30 pounds ago I had borderline high blood pressure, bad knees and I would throw my back out about once a year. I wasn't in terrible shape. I could still get up and down the ice in a hockey game. But I didn't feel like I had a lot of energy. Part of that was just being a parent. The early years are tough because you are just trying to keep them alive. I mean, they have very little sense of self-preservation for the first chunk of years. It was exhausting.

So I started running, and the energy started coming back, and some pounds went away, and the blood pressure got better. That improvement can be a bit of an addiction in itself. You have to keep pushing to see more improvements. But I have way more energy. My back still gets tight, my knees still swell, but I recover way faster from those things. I also get to do amazing things like swim across the San Francisco Bay or climb a snow topped mountain with my bike. There are no regrets. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Haha! I'd have to gain back alot of weight for that to happen! Not to mention drop to 12cm's height 😄

ironic, meatloaf had dropped a whole bunch o' weight previous to his fight club role, and he were wearing a  fat suit throughout the film. is actual one scene, which didn't get edited, where you may see meatloaf with his pants falling down and he needs pull 'em back over his foamy suit. also, in spite o' being much shorter than edward norton, he towers over ed in that scene. movie "magic."

still hope.

@Hurlshot

from our pov, the only reason for swimming in the waters o' san francisco bay is no longer valid: escape alcatraz. those waters is having sharks and is brutal cold. 'least near half moon bay you got great surf.

regardless, congrats on the mixed blessing o' your newfound vigor and "health."

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Preparing ... hoping it happens ... to actually relax this weekend on the Canadian prairies prior to a Zoom explosion next week ...  pray for the Big Green on the Roost y'all ;) 

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

1 hour ago, Fionavar said:

Preparing ... hoping it happens ... to actually relax this weekend on the Canadian prairies prior to a Zoom explosion next week ...  pray for the Big Green on the Roost y'all ;) 

Good God!  Is it truly the fabled scaled one participating in this neck of the sandbox?!  lol  I have to say, I don't think anyone has experienced these times in his or her lifetime.  Not to those of us South of the border, at least.

I guess I should post something about my day now.  Well, let's see.  I'll post a picture.  For all of the fact that some folks probably hate my political views, they'd be won over by a sip or two of my home brewed mead.

MEAD!.jpg

Edited by MedicineDan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

2 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

Good God!  Is it truly the fabled scaled one participating in this neck of the sandbox?!  lol  I have to say, I don't think anyone has experienced these times in his or her lifetime.  Not to those of us South of the border, at least.

I guess I should post something about my day now.  Well, let's see.  I'll post a picture.  For all of the fact that some folks probably hate my political views, they'd be won over by a sip or two of my home brewed mead.

MEAD!.jpg

Nice, what did you use? Love the Viking blod look ;)

• Thanks 2

Fresh blueberries.  ....At least I think it's blueberries.  It might be blackberries, but I think that tends to look more purple than dark red.  I have cherries I bought for the little lady that she hasn't eaten and they're probably *just* right for making cherry mead.  That's more tart, but I put in enough honey to take off the edge and then I sometimes add dark brown sugar at racking if I want to carbonate and that has a distinctively sweetening effect.  It took a while, but I love the end product now.  You just have to be patient, and I was for patience made.  :wry grin:  Anyhow, I tend to have a lot of stuff fermenting at the same time, and I'm a bit in my cups now so I think I'll wait until tomorrow to verify.  I can post the recipe if anyone is interested.d

• Like 2

"Not for the sake of much time..."

1 hour ago, MedicineDan said:

Fresh blueberries.  ....At least I think it's blueberries.  It might be blackberries, but I think that tends to look more purple than dark red.  I have cherries I bought for the little lady that she hasn't eaten and they're probably *just* right for making cherry mead.  That's more tart, but I put in enough honey to take off the edge and then I sometimes add dark brown sugar at racking if I want to carbonate and that has a distinctively sweetening effect.  It took a while, but I love the end product now.  You just have to be patient, and I was for patience made.  :wry grin:  Anyhow, I tend to have a lot of stuff fermenting at the same time, and I'm a bit in my cups now so I think I'll wait until tomorrow to verify.  I can post the recipe if anyone is interested.d

Ah, nice, love the colour! I reckon blueberries from the look, I'm a mite more sceptical about cherry mead :p

I've got a few recipes for mead, I made birch sap mead with a friend, but I'd be interested in seeing what recipe you used :)

• Like 2

On 6/18/2020 at 10:04 AM, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

:lol: No kidding! @Hurlshot I've never heard of anyone being injured drinking iced tea on the back porch!

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Changed exhaustsystem on my car, took 2 hours more than it should because I bought "better" clamps to tighten down everything, the "better" clamps were supposed to fit a 3 inch exhaust system, but the clamps were made for the pipes to be crimped down and then socketed together, the exhaust was widened so you kept 3" all the way. It took 30 minutes per clamp to get the nut on the threads.