What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday

Amentep

I started rewatching all the X-Men movies with the boy over the last week or so, the earlier ones have not aged that well and they really are a little poor overall. Logan is easily the pick of the bunch.

• Like 2

I finally bought a micro-bead body pillow that is as long as I am.  I no longer need my husband.  :-

...more seriously, took me a bit to find "the position" (lying on side) but it's working wonders for my bad upper back. great for naps or watching tv.   Ahhh, relief.

• Haha 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, johnnyy said:

I started rewatching all the X-Men movies with the boy over the last week or so, the earlier ones have not aged that well and they really are a little poor overall. Logan is easily the pick of the bunch.

I have been thinking about watching Dark Phoenix, but I'm also kinda meh on it.

14 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I have been thinking about watching Dark Phoenix, but I'm also kinda meh on it.

I actually saw it for the first time the other week.

It's not.. bad. But it's not that great either. It's got some nice performances, a few eye-rolling moments. There are moments you can seem either pulled from or "inspired by" X3.

But it's also not done like the "normal" X-Men films, there's no group story as such, it's very focused as you might expect on Jean Grey. In some ways it almost mashes together the feel of being a spin-off, a prequel story, and a re-shuffle to set the stage for the next arc of the universe and can't seem to find the tone for which of the three it is.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I think this is my last Google phone. I tried to buy one of those weird Euro chargers with the two little short for Richards but they won't sell one to me because I'm currently in the US. The official support response was to use an adapter or a computer or buy one when I get to Europe. Can anyone recommend me a good USB C  charger for Europe? I don't know the brands at all.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Old flame called me on the phone after four years. Computer throws up a BSOD. Don't worry PC, she called for something work related. No, I will not double my fee as a broken heart tax 😛

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

2 minutes ago, Skazz said:

I went for a walk and saw a dog.

Sounds like a good day to me!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Got into an arguement about the importance of camshafts when tuning cars with a couple of drivers at work. Realized when I came home that they were arguing about Double overhead camshafts while I was talking about single overhead camshafts.

That said, I doubt anyone here knows anything about this 🤣

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

Did you see a dog while arguing about these camshaft things?

If not, can't beat Skazz's day.

A couple of packs actually! There's a doggy daycare next to my workplace though, so I don't want to count it, it's cheating. I'm more impressed by the girls that walk the dogs though...

• Like 5

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

A couple of packs actually! There's a doggy daycare next to my workplace though, so I don't want to count it, it's cheating. I'm more impressed by the girls that walk the dogs though...

You ain't nothing but a hound dog!

EDIT: Also, I can't help but feel like "camshaft" is one of those inherently funny words. Damn it, brain.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Also, I can't help but feel like "camshaft" is one of those inherently funny words. Damn it, brain.

Sounds like something a douchebag named Cameron would name his junk. 

I had to cut out almost all of what I had originally written up. I had a full backstory for this dude and everything but I don't think it really added anything to this post and mostly just showed how weird I am.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Does he belong to a fraternity and gets drunk all day instead of going to classes?

Yes, paid for by his rich absentee father as he is a C- D+ student at best. Hangs out with the  "Do you know who my father is?" crowd. Pastel polo shirts with popped collars, shorts, boat shoes, the whole 9.  Fella never had a chance. Mother was physically present some of the time but never mentally there because of the pills and booze which she needed to deal with her husband who was always on "business trips."

Edited by ShadySands

You just know that he'll get dragged in for questioning in some Law and Order episode. If he is lucky, not SVU. Benson and Stabler would hate him. Then again D'Onofrio would have been all clever on his ass. 

Of course it could be a Cold Case. Then Lily Rush would keep seeing his young self as flashbacks.

• Haha 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

On that note, say what you want about those shows, but I wouldn't have gotten my diploma without them. Spend so many nights working on projects for uni with those shows playing on late night TV.

2 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

He was just a lonely kid that wanted to be loved

That's the problem with those rich people. They give their kids all the money to buy whatever they want, but, as the Beetles know, money can't buy 'em love.

(edit: mind you, the Beetles dude still worked like a dog to get her money to buy her things (but that's OK because the things she do, they make him feel alright))

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

I make the best pork sausage, bokchoy, potato and leek soup ever. :)

It's summery and I'm out of tangerine popsicles. :(

There are two large white herons roosting in the sycamore tree over the driveway.  Sometimes they sit on our roof in the evening and stare at us.  I don't know why they're doing it, it seems odd, but it's cool.  =]

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There is a real drawn out low intensity thunderstorm in the area, so I cant use my computer. Bored as hell, I was planning on exercising today but now Im stuck doing nothing.

Edit; I bought some airsoft stuff this autumn to have something else to do during weekends, a gun, sights and clothes and now I'm getting annoyed seeing them since no airsoft is going on thanks to corona. I am pretty certain the batteries are going to die since its hard to keep remembering to charge them 

Edited by Azdeus

I sat at my kitchen table making paper cartridges for my muzzleloader shotgun. 50 rounds of 100gr, 1 oz steel slugs. It cuts the loading time from 1 minute per barrel to about 15 seconds. I also made 4 with a .50 hardpoint in a .72 sabot. I'm going to have a little fun today. 

And I ordered this: ACCURA LR VEIL SCOPE PKG

One of the problems with shooting as a hobby is it's expensive. Large bore and high velocity ammunition is expensive. My X-bolt is my favorite rifle but it costs over a $1 every time you pull the trigger. But black powder/muzzleloader supplies are cheap. 12 ga slugs cost $8 for 5 rounds.  The 50 black powder rounds I made last night cost less than $.05 each.  If you like shooting and the price of ammo gives you sticker shock that is something to think about. Plus you can have the guns AND supplies shipped right to your house. That is worth it alone. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

I sat at my kitchen table making paper cartridges for my muzzleloader shotgun. 50 rounds of 100gr, 1 oz steel slugs. It cuts the loading time from 1 minute per barrel to about 15 seconds. I also made 4 with a .50 hardpoint in a .72 sabot. I'm going to have a little fun today. 

And I ordered this: ACCURA LR VEIL SCOPE PKG

One of the problems with shooting as a hobby is it's expensive. Large bore and high velocity ammunition is expensive. My X-bolt is my favorite rifle but it costs over a $1 every time you pull the trigger. But black powder/muzzleloader supplies are cheap. 12 ga slugs cost $8 for 5 rounds.  The 50 black powder rounds I made last night cost less than $.05 each.  If you like shooting and the price of ammo gives you sticker shock that is something to think about. Plus you can have the guns AND supplies shipped right to your house. That is worth it alone. 

Yeah, I wanted to start shooting again since you posted last time about your guns, so I checked what some 6.5 Swede costs here, and the "cheapest" I can get my hands on 50 Hornady A-max 100gr for 600 Swedish crowns, or 65USD...

Blackpowder isn't really even an option here, or it is if you can get your hands on a muzzle-loader made before 1890. As long as there is no (gas sealed)cartridge you're allowed to have, and shoot one, but using a weapon that old feels like heresy to me. Not to mention hideously expensive if it's a working example. If it's an exact replica of a pre-1890 design you need a licence. Because raisins...

• Like 1

Assembled Ikea furniture.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 weeks out from my bike crash, and I was able to do a nice long 9-mile run today relatively pain free. I climbed one decent grade on the route, and the uphill felt good. Downhill was a bit rough, but at least I didn't fly off the side of the mountain. I saw a bunch of my cycling buddies too, so that was fun. I still have a sizable pocket of fluid on my thigh. I wore a compression sock to keep it from bouncing and that worked well. My thigh also seems to have a bit of a permanent dent in it. I'll have to wait and see what happens as it continues to heal. The doctor said he isn't worried unless it gets infected, and at this point it is doing everything normal and doesn't hurt badly. It just looks super weird and feels weirder. My wife says I have a healthy A cup boob on my leg. She is using my new boob to stress the importance of her getting high quality sports bras. Apparently women deal with flopping pockets of fluid every day. :p 

I can run with this cast on my hand all day! It is starting to smell bad though. 

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1