What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday

Amentep

I am terribly sad today. Bela passed away at the vet's office this morning. She had been lethargic the past two days. Today she wouldn't eat. My regular vet is closed so I drove her up to the 24 hr emergency hospital in Dyersburg. The root cause was internal bleeding due to a tumor in her liver. They did an ultrasound and found it. The only course was to remove part of her liver followed by a round of chemotherapy. But the Dr. didn't recommend it because of her age.  It was unlikely she would have survived the treatment. They had her sedated for the ultrasound already so I said my goodbye to her in the exam room without them waking her up. She passed with her grizzled old muzzle cradled in my hands. I hope she could at least smell me and know I was there. 

Bela came to live with us a year ago. Her original owner was a friend from the VFW who had passed away. She had nowhere else to go and I was happy to take her in. Both for him and for her. She was 13 years old. Sunny is very upset. She walks from room to room looking for her friend. My only solace is to think that she is back with John again. He loved that dog. And to be thankful she was my girl for the short time we had together. 

So, I'm going to open a bottle of Four Roses and have a drink. Probably quite a few drinks, and site on my porch and listen to the sounds of day turning to night. No other music can capture the mood i'm in today.

• Sad 13

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

18 hours ago, Gorth said:

Decided that social distancing is overrated and had two friends over for dinner last night. My first "socializing" in like 2 and a half months. Sort of like, oh yeah, homo sapiens, that's what they really look like when not seeing them on tv or the internet 😂

Happy birthday :)

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Ah, so sorry GD. Also sorry for Sunny, we lost one then another 6 months after and he was also upset missing his buddy.  Good way to look at it though, not at what you've lost but at what you had.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Ah, so sorry GD. Also sorry for Sunny, we lost one then another 6 months after and he was also upset missing his buddy.  Good way to look at it though, not at what you've lost but at what you had.

As were you no doubt. It's amazing how big a piece of our lives these mutts are isn't it? But not nearly so big a piece as we are of theirs. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I am terribly sad today. Bela passed away at the vet's office this morning. She had been lethargic the past two days. Today she wouldn't eat. My regular vet is closed so I drove her up to the 24 hr emergency hospital in Dyersburg. The root cause was internal bleeding due to a tumor in her liver. They did an ultrasound and found it. The only course was to remove part of her liver followed by a round of chemotherapy. But the Dr. didn't recommend it because of her age.  It was unlikely she would have survived the treatment. They had her sedated for the ultrasound already so I said my goodbye to her in the exam room without them waking her up. She passed with her grizzled old muzzle cradled in my hands. I hope she could at least smell me and know I was there. 

Bela came to live with us a year ago. Her original owner was a friend from the VFW who had passed away. She had nowhere else to go and I was happy to take her in. Both for him and for her. She was 13 years old. Sunny is very upset. She walks from room to room looking for her friend. My only solace is to think that she is back with John again. He loved that dog. And to be thankful she was my girl for the short time we had together. 

So, I'm going to open a bottle of Four Roses and have a drink. Probably quite a few drinks, and site on my porch and listen to the sounds of day turning to night. No other music can capture the mood i'm in today.

Sorry to hear about Bela. I remember when you took her in and how she immediately fitted into her new home 

You gave her an additional year of love and happiness  and as far as old dogs are concerned it doesnt get much better than that ...and she returned those emotions which is even better 

8)

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Trying to get my MiL home but all her flights keep getting cancelled

Try FedEx.

• Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 5/27/2020 at 5:32 AM, Guard Dog said:

It's amazing how big a piece of our lives these mutts are isn't it? But not nearly so big a piece as we are of theirs. 

This. So much this.

However long we have with our dogs is brief and never enough. But to her, it made all the difference.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss GD.

• Like 4

I got a new toy delivered yesterday: https://americanguncraft.com/product/diablo-break-open-blued-finish-12-gauge-pistol-rosewood-grip/

It's a 12 gauge double barrel pistol. Total length 10". You might be wondering how is that legal? You can't have firearms shipped to your home. And there are laws on shotgun length. Well, it's a muzzleloader black powder weapon. It's not subject to most firearms restrictions. 

I spent most of the day experimenting with different powder and shot loads. I must say I had a hell of a good time doing it. They recommend a max load of 42gr and 1 oz of shot/projectile. But I found it's sweet spot is 100gr of Hastings Triple 7 powder and 1.2 oz of #4 steel buckshot. With a paper overshot patch you get a really good spread. I set 10 Coors Light cans in a row. Two barrels took every one of them down. The most devastating load though was five dimes in each barrel. $1 destroyed a $6 sheet of 3/4" plywood. 

I have two blackpowder firearms already. One is almost 200 years old and will, obviously, never be fires. The other I build from a kit. And while it does work fine it's more of a decoration than anything else. But this bad boy is too much fun not to shoot. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

you should go for Lupara to go in style

• Haha 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

43 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

you should go for Lupara to go in style

They are actually illegal here believe it or not.

Thomas Sowell

38 minutes ago, ktchong said:

Today is a good day to "Eat the Rich".

I'm not rich but if you and your racist friends want to come out to my place you are welcome to do so. But if you want to break or burn something I'll show you the value a dollar in dimes. 

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

They are actually illegal here believe it or not.

The National Firearms Act, one of those panic laws that were made to attack organized crime. The irony is that the mafia was stealing guns from the National Guard and the law mostly affects lawful citizens.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I'm not rich but if you and your racist friends want to come out to my place you are welcome to do so. But if you want to break or burn something I'll show you the value a dollar in dimes. 

I have an uncle in Nevada who keeps posting stuff like this as a response to the riots and looting. Like you, he's got some land and is a bit isolated. I don't get how either of you can possibly think this threatens you, or that it has anything to do with you. You are both so far removed from this entire issue. I mean ktchong is just a standard troll, trying to get reactions, but I don't get how folks fall for that bait.

30 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I have an uncle in Nevada who keeps posting stuff like this as a response to the riots and looting. Like you, he's got some land and is a bit isolated. I don't get how either of you can possibly think this threatens you, or that it has anything to do with you. You are both so far removed from this entire issue. I mean ktchong is just a standard troll, trying to get reactions, but I don't get how folks fall for that bait.

It does not and I am not. I just figured I'd poke the troll and see if I could get a reaction. I can't speak for your Uncle but I know protesters are not coming out to a place where houses are miles apart and everyone is armed to the teeth. 

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I'm around 10 miles where some of the protests are taking place thanks to a coordinated BLM effort to make this thing global. There's no hell to bad for George Soros and the cronies that support him.

• Haha 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Well he said rich, not white people. I assume he wants to eat Asians as well.

Going back to work today for the first time in near three months. I heard they rearranged the office. This ought to be interesting

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

On 5/31/2020 at 4:09 PM, Guard Dog said:

I have two blackpowder firearms already. One is almost 200 years old and will, obviously, never be fires. The other I build from a kit. And while it does work fine it's more of a decoration than anything else. But this bad boy is too much fun not to shoot. 

I wish for a detailed video walkthrough of those by the way 😛

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

12 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I wish for a detailed video walkthrough of those by the way 😛

It is impressive. Especially when you use real black powder and not the synthetic stuff. It is a big boom, big cloud  of smoke and a scary amount of damage with the right load.  

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

As I was drinking my morning coffee when I heard the news channel say they had reopened the state facilities. So I sprang from my chair and went and got my emissions test and license plate sticker. Timing is everything! It only took me 20 minutes to get everything done but by the time I left the line was already snaking around the building. Suckers. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

No, thats all the looters "concerned citizens". :lol:

In my case, as I left the facility, the line was outside the building, turned a corner, then continued into the parking lot. I heard there was something like 1.7M cars with expired plates and another 700K people whos drivers license had expired over the course of the state closure.

my brother couldn't help himself, he went and got a PS4 just to play FF7 remake. he could have waited for it to come to PC next year, he could have gotten a PS5 and that version of the game at the end of the year but noooo he just had to spend money on a brand new PS4 at the end of that generation's life... he probably doesn't intend to play any other game on it either since he's mostly an indi guy

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.