What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday

Amentep

I crashed my bike going down a steep road yesterday. I swerved to avoid a hole and my back wheel lost traction. I hit a guard rail and flipped over into a ravine. When I landed, my leg was on fire, and all I could think was I need to get up and climb out of this. I wasn't with anyone and no one could see me down there. I stumbled over a bunch of bushes and got back on the road. Some cyclist came along and checked on me, and then a guy in a jeep offered to drive me down. The bike was deep in the ravine and not visible. I loaded up in the jeep and the guy took me to the ER nearby. It is amazing how supportive people are. 

My wife met me at the ER. I had a broken hand, but the femur looked good and it feels better today. It is super tight, but I can move it and it supports my weight. My knee is questionable, but we will see how it feels after some rest. I definitely got off lucky with the physical damage.

After we were discharged, we went back to the mountain and met a couple friends to look for the bike. We had to hike about half a mile down, since there were no good turn outs near my crash. I found my body indentations in the bushes, and the bike was about 30 yards down from that. My wife climbed down and got it! It looks like it is decent shape. It needs a bit of work, but I got lucky there too.

So yeah, scary day, but I'm very thankful for the great support group I have. Also typing with a splint  is not fun.

98352595_10217803536264808_2224932117484

This is the turn I did not make. Oops!

• Sad 3

Wow! That could have been so much worse. You are a lucky dude Hurlshot. Get better quickly! 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

May the revovery be swift, and those guardian angels don't get kept working overtime.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Glad you came out of it not too badly

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, melkathi said:

OK.

So Hurlshot doesn't need to type, is there anyone who can do a good Hurlshot impression and take over for him for a while?

Krookie is the only one I would trust for that.

^  Well, there's a story for the grandkids!  :)
Like everyone else, glad it didn't turn out worse and that people were willing to stop and help.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm happy to hear you're ok, Hurl, hope you get a speedy recovery 😃

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

51 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I'm happy to hear you're ok, Hurl, hope you get a speedy recovery 😃

Speedy?!!! you're so insensitive.

• Haha 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Decided that social distancing is overrated and had two friends over for dinner last night. My first "socializing" in like 2 and a half months. Sort of like, oh yeah, homo sapiens, that's what they really look like when not seeing them on tv or the internet 😂

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Decided that social distancing is overrated and had two friends over for dinner last night. My first "socializing" in like 2 and a half months. Sort of like, oh yeah, homo sapiens, that's what they really look like when not seeing them on tv or the internet 😂

What did you eat, who cooked and was there wine...its mandatory with social gatherings 🍷

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

What did you eat, who cooked and was there wine...its mandatory with social gatherings 🍷

Kebab (from a restaurant) and some home made dessert after a South African recipe (one of the girls is a very good cook). Something soft and delicious with a distinct peppermint flavour and a bit of a cheesecake like consistency. No idea what it was called. As for drinks, no wine. Just whisky (I know, we're such plebs! 😝).

Was a nice evening. Hadn't planned on doing anything for my birthday, so I got taken a bit by surprise with no time to really prepare anything.

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Kebab (from a restaurant) and some home made dessert after a South African recipe (one of the girls is a very good cook). Something soft and delicious with a distinct peppermint flavour and a bit of a cheesecake like consistency. No idea what it was called. As for drinks, no wine. Just whisky (I know, we're such plebs! 😝).

Was a nice evening. Hadn't planned on doing anything for my birthday, so I got taken a bit by surprise with no time to really prepare anything.

Sounds great and an important social event.... the majority of  human beings are gregarious creatures and we need social interaction with other people . I know I do 🥂

Happy Birthday by the way 🎂

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

that's what they really look like when not seeing them on tv or the internet 😂

I know, disgusting isn't it.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Paid for a 3" stainless steel exhaust for my car, turns out the company that makes them folded, so I got offered a 3" steel/aluminum one instead. I really don't feel like changing exhaust-system every other year. ****.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Poison oak is the worst. One of my eyes is swollen shut, so back to the doctor today.

My leg is starting to regain sensation and I did get a good walk in today though. There is a indentation of the guard rail on it. I see a hand doctor today as well. But man, poison oak is a stupid plant.

Happy Birthday Gorth!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell