What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday

Amentep

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

When school was put on hold, I decided to start a little RPG Maker project to teach about the next unit. It of course ended up taking way more hours than I expected to put together, and my spring break last week was consumed by the project, but I managed to finish. It's a bit loose with the historical timeline, but it's meant to be a fun diversion about the Renaissance, Reformation, and Scientific Revolution. I hosted a browser version here: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/753261?updated=1587576382

Be nice, it's for the kids. :p

You should let us design one for you. We could do the one where Martin Luther wanted to get a divorce but the King of England (the head of the Church) wouldn't let him and then the Pope wrote the 95 Theses and nailed them to Luther's door and that's why there are Methodists today!

(Them kids is going to college fer sure when we dun wid 'em)

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

15 hours ago, Fionavar said:

Currently living in the surreal land of Zoom and MS Teams ... not special or anything, it's just where the Roost seems to be in this digitised new way of being ...

My favorite MS Teams meeting was the one that was a live demonstration of how to do something in Zoom.

EDIT: Wait strike that, it was a WebEx to show us how to use Zoom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

We can't use Zoom either, but a vendor used WebEx to show us how to do something virtually the way they'd approve us to do it with the ability to extrapolate that to our preferred platform (in this case it'd be WebEx).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just now, Skazz said:

Is anything wrong with Zoom? Any reason for the bans?

Security -https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/technology/zoom-security-dropbox-hackers.html

We use Teams. My coworkers keep badgering me to turn my webcam on, weirdos. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I find Zoom far superior and I think what is wrong is it's "the top dog" as opposed to substantive issues. They have been very responsive to security concerns and update regularly.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I don't know if our organization has security issues or if its a cost issue given that they already have licenses to other tools.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

You should let us design one for you. We could do the one where Martin Luther wanted to get a divorce but the King of England (the head of the Church) wouldn't let him and then the Pope wrote the 95 Theses and nailed them to Luther's door and that's why there are Methodists today!

(Them kids is going to college fer sure when we dun wid 'em)

am thinking hurl's best option is to never seek insights from boardies regarding history teaching. let's be honest, am suspecting every history unit from gd would look same/similar with focus 'pon oppressive governments being overthrown only to be replaced by equal or more oppressive regimes. 

and am not singling out gd. amentep, for example, would likely use scientific revolution unit to show witchfinder general to the class.

no better would Gromnir be as by end o' renaissance, reformation, scientific revolution, every saint would have their halo shattered and all heroes would be recast as villains... with the possible exception of sir thomas moore.

as a gestalt kinda approach, the boardies might offer something useful, but individually we are a nightmare. that said, as a student we wouldn't mind the anticipated amentep all-horror movie approach to history.

HA! Good Food!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am thinking hurl's best option is to never seek insights from boardies regarding history teaching. let's be honest, am suspecting every history unit from gd would look same/similar with focus 'pon oppressive governments being overthrown only to be replaced by equal or more oppressive regimes. 

HA! Good Food!

Hey they are going to love my unit on how we really lost the American Revolution. But then again this is April and that feeling is hardly rare in tax-season.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Lots of folks have been home schooling their kids. Now there is a daunting prospect. If I had to teach a kid everything I knew it would only remind me of how little I really know. 

Y'see I'm like a Leatherman multi-tool. I'm good for a lot of varied tasks but not great for anything. I know a little about a lot but everything about nothing. 

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

it is no surprise seeing folks believe they know. heck, had folks in this thread with zero medical background touting common sense to deny and refute the observations made by this guy regarding tbi suffered by soldiers in afghanistan.  

the common sense approach explains images such as

Rally-1.jpg

rush limbaugh not understanding the limits o' anecdotal evidence regarding hydroxychloroquine? well, he knows more than fauci and bright

neil degrasse tyson's class might be worthy o' consideration, but sadly, is a given the folks who would benefit most from such educational opportunities don't know enough to realize they need.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 hours ago, Fionavar said:

I find Zoom far superior and I think what is wrong is it's "the top dog" as opposed to substantive issues. They have been very responsive to security concerns and update regularly.

In SA we had a major security breach in government using Zoom recently, this was probably due to the individuals  not following normal software security protocol 

Personally we use Microsoft Teams during the lock-down, my customers are mostly in the financial sector and they have also adopted it as far as weekly updates meetings  are  required .  I am  very happy with it and its collaborative functionality, it allows me to share files, make calls and we can have our online meetings up to 50 people :thumbsup:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, Malcador said:

Security -https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/technology/zoom-security-dropbox-hackers.html

We use Teams. My coworkers keep badgering me to turn my webcam on, weirdos. 

I agree, nothing worse than having the webcam on and seeing my face :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Donated most of my $1200 to local no kill shelters

You, sir, are a good man!

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

And then probably refill when these people realize the dogs and cats aren't toys to keep you busy when you're at home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Literally drew a short straw today, I'm not going to  get a CDL(I think it was called, or am I wrong  @Keyrock?) until earliest come autumn. Thanks Corona! 😭

So I'm going to finish taking the licence to drive a lorry, but I'm not going to be allowed to "work" with it, which makes that licence completely useless.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Sad 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Literally drew a short straw today, I'm not going to  get a CDL(I think it was called, or am I wrong  @Keyrock?) until earliest come autumn. Thanks Corona! 😭

So I'm going to finish taking the licence to drive a lorry, but I'm not going to be allowed to "work" with it, which makes that licence completely useless.

Come to America, god knows there's enough trucking jobs you'd be able to use it.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

56 minutes ago, Calax said:

Come to America, god knows there's enough trucking jobs you'd be able to use it.

Hehe, if it wasn't for the fact that I have pre-existing health problems and need bimonthly blood samples and yearly checks on my kidneys which would probably ruin me financially, I might've done that 😄

• Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken