Jump to content

Coronavirus: Continuing Vigilance


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Totally not Gorgon said:

Nobody knows what the situation is actually like in China, for the simple reason that the Chinese Communist Party are not to be trusted on this at all. While Wuhan was in lock down, you could freely fly from the international airport in the same province to anywhere in the world. That's how the virus spread.

Initially, yes. But some countries were better able to stop it on their borders than others, and others helped the virus spread in and from their territory. Not defending China whatsoever, but to assume the responsibility for the global spread is entirely on their end is a mistake. I for one wouldn't be surprised if most of the virus' spread to the West could be traced back to Italy for example (that's where the vast majority of cases in Argentina came from - Italy and Spain). USA's current crisis is primarily on them too, having downplayed the threat for months, deliberately obstructed initial testing and containment on a federal level, and so on. You can't blame China for the US government's incompetence.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Fallout 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible that the whole thing could have been stopped if not for the fact that they covered it up. Travel restrictions are essential, there were none when it mattered. They only cared that the virus not spread inside of China.

While they did their cover up, lets not forget that they systematically vacuumed the world markets for medical equipment using their agents and China friendly companies, so there was precious little left when everyone needed it, and of course now they have successfully convinced the Chinese people that the present threat is from 'foreigners'.  Their 'own' virus no less. Another control mechanism. 

It's kinda impossible to understate what the CCP perpetrated on the world. They have somehow managed to blindside most people about the truth of it, they are really good at that. 

  • Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

It's possible that the whole thing could have been stopped if not for the fact that they covered it up. Travel restrictions are essential, there were none when it mattered. They only cared that the virus not spread inside of China.

While they did their cover up, lets not forget that they systematically vacuumed the world markets for medical equipment using their agents and China friendly companies, so there was precious little left when everyone needed it, and of course now they have successfully convinced the Chinese people that the present threat is from 'foreigners'.  Their 'own' virus no less. Another control mechanism. 

It's kinda impossible to understate what the CCP perpetrated on the world. 

You know, you sound a lot like that guy who totally isn't you.

Edited by Skazz
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

While they did their cover up, lets not forget that they systematically vacuumed the world markets for medical equipment using their agents and China friendly companies, so there was precious little left when everyone needed it

You have a link for this? I haven't seen this anywhere myself.

Again, I'm not defending China here, but I do think that their part in this mess doesn't preclude the blame that can be placed on others for their handling of the pandemic. It's not China's fault that Italy, Spain and USA botched their response to the virus so badly, and how they then became major players in the spread elsewhere in the world. Just pointing it out because all too often the "China is to blame" argument comes layered with a heavy coat of sinophobia and blame-shifting that other major players are all too happy for their followers to be distracted by.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Fallout 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

27 minutes ago, algroth said:

You have a link for this? I haven't seen this anywhere myself.

Again, I'm not defending China here, but I do think that their part in this mess doesn't preclude the blame that can be placed on others for their handling of the pandemic. It's not China's fault that Italy, Spain and USA botched their response to the virus so badly, and how they then became major players in the spread elsewhere in the world. Just pointing it out because all too often the "China is to blame" argument comes layered with a heavy coat of sinophobia and blame-shifting that other major players are all too happy for their followers to be distracted by.

Well, yes. The thing is if unsavory people have a point, then the point stands. The point is the point.

It very much is the CCPs fault that everyone was caught flat footed by this. 

Besides. The CCP are actively spreading racism at home now. Making a big show of controlling the dangerous foreigners, giving their people an outside threat to focus on. And no less of course the increase in racism against people with Chinese origin living around the world is also true. People are still dumb enough to buy into that. 

 We can all agree that some early responses around were pretty terrible. 

  • Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, is the US economy open for business again now? I seem to remember Donny promising Easter as the day the magic would have happened by.

6 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I forgot to look when I was shopping, but where does one go to buy those cloth face covers that hook around your ears? Do regular grocery stores sell them?

Buy a bandana and use that, it's about as effective as anything else which doesn't have proper fitting and a proper filter while also being washable/ sterilisable multiple times without the elasticised straps perishing almost instantly. They also make it look like you've joined a cool post apoc street gang while you wait in line to buy your eggs and flour.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

 

Well, yes. The thing is if unsavory people have a point, then the point stands. The point is the point.

It very much is the CCPs fault that everyone was caught flat footed by this. 

Besides. The CCP are actively spreading racism at home now. Making a big show of controlling the dangerous foreigners, giving their people an outside threat to focus on. And no less of course the increase in racism against people with Chinese origin living around the world is also true. People are still dumb enough to buy into that. 

 We can all agree that some early responses around were pretty terrible. 

They pretty much want to pretend that the Virus came from the US and not China.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

 

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

China put a city of 15 million under lockdown in january while the rest of the world went "its just a flu :DD"

i blame my gubmint's incompetence

 

Edited by HoonDing
  • Like 3

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the government's job to delegate roles, when they themselves lack the competence.

Then another less competent party comes in to defund that delegation with no plan to handle things themselves.

Bunch of **** heads I tell ya

Link to post
Share on other sites

BBC - Buckinghamshire couple dress in period costumes for walks

_111699639_georgianconstitutional-3.jpg

A couple have been "lifting the spirits" of fellow villagers by dressing up in historical costumes for their daily exercise.

Izabela Pitcher said the outfits, normally used by re-enactors and museums, needed "airing" as many events have been cancelled.

Together with her husband Lucas, she dons the costumes and walks around their Buckinghamshire village.

She also hosts a quiz on social media, asking villagers to name the era.

Mrs Pitcher, 45, who runs a costuming business, said people had "started waving and waiting for us".

"I really didn't expect that," she said.

"We've met more villagers - at a safe social distance obviously - in the last week than we have in the last year of living here."

 

  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, injurai said:

It's the government's job to delegate roles, when they themselves lack the competence.

Then another less competent party comes in to defund that delegation with no plan to handle things themselves.

Bunch of **** heads I tell ya

Pretty much this,; at this point I am wholly in support of the US stopping all trade with China, every country that has relations with China and pulling out of W.H.O. That and looking into academia and media to check who receives funding from the CCP. It's about time the US woke up to the fact that China has been waging a Cold War against the US for years.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

 

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, algroth said:

You have a link for this? I haven't seen this anywhere myself.

Worldwide effort.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/chinese-backed-company-s-mission-to-source-australian-medical-supplies-20200325-p54du8.html

A whistleblower from the company has told the

Herald it was a worldwide Greenland effort - and the Sydney office was no different, sourcing bulk supplies of surgical masks, thermometers, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitisers, gloves and Panadol for shipping.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/second-developer-flies-82-tonnes-of-medical-supplies-to-china-20200326-p54e8n.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something from the famed Italian comic artist Milo Manara that hits home:

 

milo-manara-nurse.jpg

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 11
Quote
"Turned wrong way round, the relentless unforeseen was what we schoolchildren studied as 'History,' harmless history, where everything unexpected in its own time is chronicled on the page as inevitable. The terror of the unforeseen is what the science of history hides, turning a disaster into an epic.”

 

-Philip Roth, The Plot Against America

 

Quote
"Always write angry letters to your enemies. Never mail them."

 

-James Fallows

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

They also make it look like you've joined a cool post apoc street gang while you wait in line to buy your eggs and flour.

Just a bandana won't do that, need to have leather jackets missing random parts and some sort of spikes and skull iconography.  

China sure blew their opportunity to win some favour back with all the defective PPE they've been sending, although in some cases not sure if it's defective as in they are useless or just recipients having stricter standards in all cases. 

 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to post
Share on other sites

a woman was banished from pine ridge after testing positive for covid-19. an employee at the local jesuit school, and spouse o' a tribal member, recent had a medical procedure performed in CA sometime in late march. during self quarantine 'pon her return from CA, the woman displayed symptoms and were subsequently tested off-reservation. 

tribal council were deadlocked for a week before finally agreeing 'pon banishment. going to a "hot spot" such as CA (which has 'bout half the cases per capita as sd) were deemed irresponsible behaviour worthy o' banishment.

1918 spanish flu hit the oglala disproportionate killing indians 3x to 4x more readily than the general US population. comorbidities which significant impact covid-19 lethality is also representing more often in oglala than in other US demographic identifiable groups. caution bordering on paranoia is understandable. 

am disappointed but sympathetic. will be time after fear recedes to revisit the issue.

positive: we had a great excuse for not visiting family this easter as those residing off reservation were asked to stay clear for the time being.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, algroth said:

Not Coronavirus-specific, but how about we add one more impending catastrophe to this ****show of a year?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/world/europe/chernobyl-wildfire.html

Don't worry. If the asteroid this month doesn't hit, we still have the comet on May.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, algroth said:

Not Coronavirus-specific, but how about we add one more impending catastrophe to this ****show of a year?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/world/europe/chernobyl-wildfire.html

Likewise

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/olive-tree-disease-italy-greece-spain-economy-bacteria-xylella-fastidiosa-a9464191.html

Olive Trees are experiencing a cataclysmic disease alongside us...

I'd probably die if I didn't have olive oil to cook with...

  • Gasp! 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So the US halting funding to the WHO - https://www.axios.com/trump-world-health-organization-funding-65de2595-2d5e-4a6c-b7c6-9c18aa4cb905.html?

Presumably until a US stooge is appointed, I am guessing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malcador said:

So the US halting funding to the WHO - https://www.axios.com/trump-world-health-organization-funding-65de2595-2d5e-4a6c-b7c6-9c18aa4cb905.html?

Presumably until a US stooge is appointed, I am guessing.

...

a tweet from potus after the wh were receiving intelligence reports that the covid-19 situation in china were more serious than reported from the ccp.

HA! Good Fun!

  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...