Coronavirus: Continuing Vigilance

Amentep

13 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Maybe wearing masks will become a fashion thing a la some asian countries.

92438384-cyber-gothic-girl-posing-isolat

:wub:

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 hours ago, rjshae said:

one-thing-for-sure.jpg

Bst. Post. Ever. About Corona at least!

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

99348751_1524054387757426_6128873826940878848_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=308Y-95lBMIAX9xA0uF&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=50c3a2a963e5e0f279f277e2d6438709&oe=5EF1C528

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 5/23/2020 at 12:09 AM, Zoraptor said:

The main pro of masks can also be achieved in humans by simply not going out when you're sick. The benefit of masks (those without a proper filter at least) comes from deceleration/ capture of droplets, which is only important if they are high velocity in the first place. Don't go out when coughing or sneezing and problem solved, the advised 6' to 2m spacing is enough to prevent most airborne transmission.

The other con of masks is that it makes people feel safe when they're not. Most of the people wearing them will believe that they themselves are being protected by the mask when they aren't, but that feeling of being safer means other more effective measures get ignored.

I have allergies. Can't go out without sneezing. Damn trees. Now that summer starts proper that should get better. Of course, exactly because my sneezing is allergies, it isn't actually dangerous, I guess?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Hubby has taken to calling his cloth face masks as "face underwear."

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Its been raining in Cpt yesterday and today so I wont be walking  this morning but we move onto " level 3 " from the 1/06 and that means no more exercise curfew ...yaaaaaaaaaaay :thumbsup:

One of the  numerous virus  challenges we  have is when kids go back to school, in SA we have real failures in some of our public schools...private schools are fine and offer excellent education but some of our public schools in rural areas still dont have working toilets. Schools are suppose to go back on 1/06 and already various teachers unions are saying they " refuse to go back " due to safety factors. Private schools are using remote learning and virtual classes so they should be fine to continue school year 

I am not convinced many  of the unions have the best interest of there members or the institutions in  mind ...they would be happy to be paid there salaries on tax payers money and continue not to work but we do have to consider the safety of teachers and students so Im expecting a mixed outcome of success and failure when we open the schools on 1/06

How is everyones country doing with restarting the school year?

@ Hurlshot what is your opinion on reopening the schools as a teacher? Also another question what would happen if a country loses the school year, does that mean all students would have to redo the year in 2021. As a society we have never had to grapple with the difficult outcome of " what does it mean if you accept that the whole school year is lost and everyone repeats next year ".....is that even feasible ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

One of the real changes I have had to adopt to is I now have to do all my own housework.....its been a big learning curve as I use to have a weekly domestic worker :(

How is everyone doing there housework...I imagine being married has its advantages here :-

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

One of the real changes I have had to adopt to is I now have to do all my own housework.....its been a big learning curve as I use to have a weekly domestic worker :(

How is everyone doing there housework...I imagine being married has its advantages here :-

Well it is a little easier when you can share the householdd work with someone.

166215__front.jpg

4 minutes ago, Volourn said:

So.. Bruce has a maid. No wonder he likes powerful governments. They don't tend to target the rich. LMAO

So did you just assume BruceVC's domestic houseworker's gender, you sexist pig? You fit right in with PM Blackface. Disgusting!

;)

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

15 minutes ago, majestic said:

So did you just assume BruceVC's domestic houseworker's gender, you sexist pig? You fit right in with PM Blackface. Disgusting!

;)

Did you just assume a maid as a gendered job title?!!

In any case it does surprise me how many people have cleaning services, although I'm sure some can't really afford it in the long run.  I'd be very wary of a stranger being near my stuff but I suppose I am paranoid and distrustful of others.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

35 minutes ago, Volourn said:

So.. Bruce has a maid. No wonder he likes powerful governments. They don't tend to target the rich. LMAO

Volo I do support effective governments, not so much powerful but effective 

Sometimes citizens need to do what they told for the greater good of society, if we dont follow the rules and laws then we risk descending into chaos ....thats what makes us different to animals and beasts. We dont want to live in a world of anarchy and lawlessness, Im sure you will agree :thumbsup:

John Milton 

57 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Sometimes citizens need to do what they told for the greater good of society

Even worse than a Nazi...Bruce is a T'au!

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"So did you just assume BruceVC's domestic houseworker's gender, you sexist pig? You fit right in with PM Blackface. Disgusting! "

😄

Bruce is a feminist who supports women workers. Why would he hire a man over a woman knowing full well, women are better at everything?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

2 hours ago, Volourn said:

Bruce is a feminist who supports women workers. Why would he hire a man over a woman knowing full well, women are better at everything?

Nice save. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 hours ago, Volourn said:

"So did you just assume BruceVC's domestic houseworker's gender, you sexist pig? You fit right in with PM Blackface. Disgusting! "

😄

Funny you mention this but it has some truth to it, in SA I have never ever come across a male domestic worker and I wouldnt hire one on principle ...men do other jobs in SA

But we also try not to use the word " maid ", we always say " domestic worker ". It sounds like one of those ridiculous  "politically correct " labels but there is something demeaning about the word maid compared to domestic worker because the latter is a formal type of employment in SA where the person is suppose to get a contract and have work conditions 

• Like 1

John Milton 

Hmm, yeah. I noticed that there are no receptionists around anymore, they all got replaced by client liaisons. Still doing the same job though

Edit: Same thing with Stewardess and Flight Attendant come to think of it. Rebranding of old roles.

Edit2: Completely unrelated to Corona virus (me going out on a tangent here), the subject of gender typical roles sounds more like something for the politics thread.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

26 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Hmm, yeah. I noticed that there are no receptionists around anymore, they all got replaced by client liaisons. Still doing the same job though

Edit: Same thing with Stewardess and Flight Attendant come to think of it. Rebranding of old roles.

Edit2: Completely unrelated to Corona virus (me going out on a tangent here), the subject of gender typical roles sounds more like something for the politics thread.

Certain topics are related to Corona and its outcomes but not specifically about the virus so I post them here after some consideration, so for me your post is about my initial virus related question around my domestic worker so its relevant

Also I can only speak on behalf of myself but I have had so many debates on various    Internet  SJ and political forums through the years around well meaning but meaningless topics like " gender roles and how we should refer to people " that Im almost exhausted with anything new to add that people haven't heard before :teehee:

Nowadays I have these debates in RL when I occasionally have them 

John Milton 

"But we also try not to use the word " maid ", we always say " domestic worker ". It sounds like one of those ridiculous  "politically correct " labels but there is something demeaning about the word maid compared to domestic worker because the latter is a formal type of employment in SA where the person is suppose to get a contract and have work conditions"

What's demeaning is thinking that changing the word actually changes the facts.  It is all about prettifying language and making one feel a certain way even though it is pure crap. A maid is a maid is a maid. A door(wo)man is a door(wo)man.  A wife is just a prostitute. HAHAHA.  A husband is just a bank machine. HAHAHA. j/k On the last two... or am I?...

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Volourn said:

"But we also try not to use the word " maid ", we always say " domestic worker ". It sounds like one of those ridiculous  "politically correct " labels but there is something demeaning about the word maid compared to domestic worker because the latter is a formal type of employment in SA where the person is suppose to get a contract and have work conditions"

What's demeaning is thinking that changing the word actually changes the facts.  It is all about prettifying language and making one feel a certain way even though it is pure crap. A maid is a maid is a maid. A door(wo)man is a door(wo)man.  A wife is just a prostitute. HAHAHA.  A husband is just a bank machine. HAHAHA. j/k On the last two... or am I?...

I hear you and there is a cogent argument that supports your broader point 

For example in  SA  people , including domestic workers, often refer to themselves as " maids or servants " but I dont because domestic worker is just a better term to describe an important job

So its a personal choice but there should be no real judgement if someone says maid or you shouldn't see it is a pejorative term 

John Milton 

Highly relevant :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

"For example in  SA  people , including domestic workers, often refer to themselves as " maids or servants " but I dont because domestic worker is just a better term to describe an important job "

So.. the very people you claim to 'defend' because of bad words are saying clearly they are not offended by it. It is a job description. That's it.

P.S. The Carlin video is exactly what I was getting at it. 

• Like 1