I have come across a large number of spell books, found mostly from defeated enemies and such. What do I do with them? I have given them to my party wizard (I put them in his quick slots), he can access them in battle if need be. But is this their purpose, or is there more to it? Also, I was looking at the spells in one of these books, and some spell icons have a "+" sign in the corner. What does this mean?

That is one of their purpose. Second is that you can learn spells from them if you don't already know them. Like at level-up, but you invest some money.

You can also write spells that you learned into grimoires. That way you can give yourself a portfolio of spells at your disposal in every fight: you only need to put the right grimoires into your quick slots. For example you could fill one grimoire with damaging spells and the other with self buffs.

Now - if you retrain (respec) you will lose all spells you have learned from grimoires and at level-up and pick new ones at re-level-up. But if you wrote all your spells into grimoires before you can pick those spells at level-up you didn't have before and afterwards learn the old ones from your grimoires. That way you can gather all spells but unique ones:

Unique grimoires sometimes contain unique spells. Once you learned those spells from the grimoire you can never unlearn them. Even a retraining will not delete them. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods