Suggested Game Ideas From Fans

Dear grounded development team, 

I am really excited about your new game and wanted to share some ideas for things I would love to see in the game as it develops (please see the attached document). I hope this post can also help to open up the discussion for other fans to post about what they might like to see in your new game. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out and playing the final game!

Potential Ideas for Grounded.docx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I dont know much about this just heard about this game and id like to know if there adding a mode to where theres no story involved where players can just mess about n have fun n not have worry about if they do this it wont end the game, or when they complete the campaign can we just mess around after ward

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Xbox one. The vertical to horizontal sensitivity ratio is a little off. Including a vertical sensitivity slider would help this. The vertical sens is incredibly slow. I set the sens to 100% and this still feels awkward. Please include a vertical sens slider along side the horizontal for personal tailoring needs ;)

EDIT: I have played a little more of the beta this evening and it appears the sensitivity slider isn't working.
My OP still counts as both Horizontal and vertical sens is crucial for individual needs.

Have been playing the demo for a couple of hours and I'm really enjoying myself. This game is already a lot of fun & I can't wait to buy the full release and play this awesome game. Well done to the entire team on this one. This is game is fun, as video games should be. Great stuff

Edited by Carl Hingston

How about climbing tools such as spiked gloves, boots and knee pads crafted from acorn shells &/or beetle carapace. Some type of line or thread attached to a needle or spike. Either swung and thrown by the player and also fired from a bow. The ability to climb the thread/line both upwards & abseiling downwards. Climbing could drain stamina so as to limit how much the player might exploit the environment. Being able to abseil down and dangle in an open space and potentially begin to shift your weight forwards and back in order to swing.

Edited by Carl Hingston
  • Like 7

Finally got done working and got to play the demo. Not sure if this is a craftable object, but what about a slingshot of sorts? (If this is already an option and I haven't unlocked it my bad.)

Could even include different craftable ammo types: sticky/sap bombs to trap insects, shotgun/cone spray (for the annoying gnats in groups), distraction flares/bait, or pheromones to lure bugs to each other to battle or enrage. Could probably think of a few more, but wanted to get back into the demo. 

Loving this game btw

Edited by Tobitex
Clarification of sticky bomb
  • Thanks 1

You are able to swap between 3rd and 1st person on the fly in Grounded..!  I don't see many ppl do it in the demo's tho, they say it looks better in 1st person and not as good in 3rd... Hope it's not the case when it comes out July 28, I will be playing in 3rd person exclusively.

Hi devs / community managers / everyone !

I had a blast with the demo. Can't wait to test the early access and give feedback to contribute to the game's improvment.

The best direction for this game IMO is what inspire its core : 80/90's kids movies. Its almost perfect, but two things could improve it more in that direction :

- Ziplines for base building and/or exploration (and its unreasonable, but being able to contruct some kind of cable car would be 1996 11yo me heaven).

- Floor sliding, in a very satisfying way like apex legend did (gaining initial sliding speed with run/jump/glide velocity, then gaining/loosing sliding speed depending on direction/terrain angle/terrain material). It could be maped to the gliding key/button without changing anything at all, since gliding only triggers at a minimum height/jump duration ; the two wouldn't interfere (whereas slinding would interfere with croutching to hide if binded on the same button).

- sliding ramps ! straight ones, curved ones, soft or hard angles...

Along with - buildable ladders, all this would contribute to the feeling of being in a funhouse, wich is the best part of movies like Honey I shrunked the kids or Hook in the eye of a kid. Imagine your players then sharing gameplay video of themselves going up the roof in their cable car (well ok that can be skiped), basejumping in the void but then hooking to an underneath zipline that run toward the oak tree in the center of the map, jumping off the zipline in its middle to glide at medium speed thanks to an advanded tier glider, then when reaching the ground transitionning to sliding down an ant hill slope while shooting arrows at surrounding mobs.

Add customisable waypoints, and you'll have a competitive parkour map-sharing community in top of the traditionnal survival lovers one.

If you're afraid of all that breaking the pace of the game in terms of combat/exploration, you can lock all this behind advanced crafting (like a sledge requiered for sliding exaclty like the gliders, coming in different materials so with varying stats (top speed...)).

On another note, I don't think the suggestion about finishing moves is that good, because in its curent state Grounded can be enjoyed by both adults and kids. It don't needs more gore to be a sometime very frightening game, yet suitable for nearly everyone. because only insects are harmed. I know its a thin line since there's already gory elements, like the ant totems, and the game is also about killing bugs in a yellow/brown blood explosion to chop their bodies to build fancy house ornaments for your own pleasure, but somehow it feels acceptable with its cartoon style ; maybe reserving spectacular finishing moves for very aggresive and monstruous mobs like thoses damn spiders could be a good compromise. I don't have kids, but If I had dawn I would like to be able to play this game with them.

Finaly, I sooooo want to be able to pet weevils. And to tame them. And to use ladybugs to haul a sleigh to carry many planks and things in one go, with me seated on the ladybug leading it with an aphid on a fishing rod. Obviously the other strong appeal of Grounded is its insects, so I'd like to see more interraction between bugs, with the players, and so more animations of the most cute ones. The scarier ones don't need more animations IMO, their apparent lack of emotion and striclty aggresive behavior plays a great role in the fear they provoke.

Many Thx for reading the wall of text. that's how much I like the game in its current state.

TL;DR : Ziplines, sliding mechanics and associated basebuilding thingies, more bugs interractions/animations.

Edited by MagicalPedro
Correction of bad english. I'm not a native speaker sry!
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, MagicalPedro said:

Hi devs / community managers / everyone !

I had a blast with the demo. Can't wait to test the early access and give feedback to contribute to the game's improvment.

The best direction for this game IMO is what inspire its core : 80/90's kids movies. Its almost perfect, but two things could improve it more in that direction :

- Ziplines for base building and/or exploration (and its unreasonable, but being able to contruct some kind of cable car would be 1996 11yo me heaven).

- Floor sliding, in a very satisfying way like apex legend did (gaining initial sliding speed with run/jump/glide velocity, then gaining/loosing sliding speed depending on direction/terrain angle/terrain material). It could be maped to the gliding key/button without changing anything at all, since gliding only triggers at a minimum height/jump duration ; the two wouldn't interfere (whereas slinding would interfere with croutching to hide if binded on the same button).

- sliding ramps ! straight ones, curved ones, soft or hard angles...

Along with - buildable ladders, all this would contribute to the feeling of being in a funhouse, wich is the best part of movies like Honey I shrunked the kids or Hook in the eye of a kid. Imagine your players then sharing gameplay video of themselves going up the roof in their cable car (well ok that can be skiped), basejumping in the void but then hooking to an underneath zipline that run toward the oak tree in the center of the map, jumping off the zipline in its middle to glide at medium speed thanks to an advanded tier glider, then when reaching the ground transitionning to sliding down an ant hill slope while shooting arrows at surrounding mobs.

Add customisable waypoints, and you'll have a competitive parkour map-sharing community in top of the traditionnal survival lovers one.

If you're afraid of all that breaking the pace of the game in terms of combat/exploration, you can lock all this behind advanced crafting (like a sledge requiered for sliding exaclty like the gliders, coming in different materials so with varying stats (top speed...)).

On another note, I don't think the suggestion about finishing moves is that good, because in its curent state Grounded can be enjoyed by both adults and kids. It don't needs more gore to be a sometime very frightening game, yet suitable for nearly everyone. because only insects are harmed. I know its a thin line since there's already gory elements, like the ant totems, and the game is also about killing bugs in a yellow/brown blood explosion to chop their bodies to build fancy house ornaments for your own pleasure, but somehow it feels acceptable with its cartoon style ; maybe reserving spectacular finishing moves for very aggresive and monstruous mobs like thoses damn spiders could be a good compromise. I don't have kids, but If I had dawn I would like to be able to play this game with them.

Finaly, I sooooo want to be able to pet weevils. And to tame them. And to use ladybugs to haul a sleigh to carry many planks and things in one go, with me seated on the ladybug leading it with an aphid on a fishing rod. Obviously the other strong appeal of Grounded is its insects, so I'd like to see more interraction between bugs, with the players, and so more animations of the most cute ones. The scarier ones don't need more animations IMO, their apparent lack of emotion and striclty aggresive behavior plays a great role in the fear they provoke.

Many Thx for reading the wall of text. that's how much I like the game in its current state.

TL;DR : Ziplines, sliding mechanics and associated basebuilding thingies, more bugs interractions/animations.

Uhhh 😒 all Finishing move's aren't bloody lol. I luv that the Devs use bug juice as I hate Gory game's. Grounded need's something more flashy or the combat will get boring for both Kids & Adults. Either way I hope they add something more to combat, I will still be playing no matter what..! 

Yeah lol, the short version 🤦‍♂️

Uhhh 😒 all Finishing move's aren't bloody lol. I luv that the Devs use bug juice as I hate Gory game's. Grounded need's something more flashy or the combat will get boring for both Kids & Adults. Either way I hope they add something more to combat, I will still be playing no matter what..! 

5 hours ago, Truly Yours said:

Yeah lol, the short version 🤦‍♂️

Uhhh 😒 all Finishing move's aren't bloody lol. I luv that the Devs use bug juice as I hate Gory game's. Grounded need's something more flashy or the combat will get boring for both Kids & Adults. Either way I hope they add something more to combat, I will still be playing no matter what..! 

Arf yeah I can just think of gory finishers right now, do you have an example of soft finishers animations in another game ? Maybe if it involves mostly clean slicing rather than head crushing/spine twisting/heart extracting, It could be ok. I guess the last gameplay video of that kind of things I saw was doom 2016, so I may be a bit biased about what does exist or not in the non-gory range of finishers, as I can only think about stealth games finishers wich are not gory, but rather slow assassinations...

For the combat, It's not my prefered activity in the game, so I have no clear opinion, but maybe you could give us an example of what is a good first person close-range combat system for you ? Would the small improvments made to minecraft combat be enought, or does it needs something more complex -yet still very arcadey and speedey - to fill you needs ? Maybe a system where bugs do behave like they have some mass when you hit them, so you could push them around in pike traps with a foot hit, like in dark messiah of might and magic ? Or/and a first person dark souls, with blocking and evading blows being funamental for advanced ennemies ?

Btw as i'm not a combat person, a friend / group buffer tool would be awesome. I think the game should be able to be played alone, so Tank/healer/dps should not be a mandatory tactic, but I would love to play as a support buffer/medic when goofing around with friends. Like when I play willow, I would have a megaphone linked to a cassette player, and I would play 80's metal to buff my friends, this ability being limited by batteries capacities.

Also, i don't comunicate with voice, only text chat. So here apex legend (sorry once again) changed my views on fps with it's middle mouse button pointing mechanics. It's simply brillant, and it would be perfect for this game, much much more usefull than emotes (wich are cool nontheless) to communicate without having to stop to type "beware ennemies at 6 o clock"...

• 4 weeks later...

Have you considered adding friendly bugs to creative mode? 

It would give the game mode more "life" and I know for sure that both kids and adults alike who love bugs and dont want to kill them would appreciate it. :)

• Like 2

As far as I've seen in the game, there are no ambush enemies, so it would be really cool to implement certain bugs that will hide from you and only attack when the player isn't looking. A good bug to take this role would be the Orchid Mantis. They hide inside Orchids and when the player walks past the Mantis will jump from the top onto the player. By making this enemy you would also have to make an Orchid forest.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BunderTurb said:

As far as I've seen in the game, there are no ambush enemies, so it would be really cool to implement certain bugs that will hide from you and only attack when the player isn't looking. A good bug to take this role would be the Orchid Mantis. They hide inside Orchids and when the player walks past the Mantis will jump from the top onto the player. By making this enemy you would also have to make an Orchid forest.

Hadn't seen that one before - neat!

First thing I thought of when you said ambush was antlions but doesn't fit the setting:

The Ambush Bug might be a good fit though -

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Hadn't seen that one before - neat!

First thing I thought of when you said ambush was antlions but doesn't fit the setting:

The Ambush Bug might be a good fit though -

Antlions could work. Another idea is adding a sandbox to the backyard to serve as a desert biome where the player can find exclusive enemies, such as the Antlion, and resources. Although the sandbox yields lots of loot, it would be a treacherous location because of the lack of water and high concentration of hostile bugs.

• Like 3

Loving the game from what i have played, looks like yet another amazing title! Some things i would love to see added to the game would be more different zones so like a frozen/ice area from a dropped cooler/dryice box or a active waterfall feature/sprinklers to add an area constantly raining or creating a mist. also being able to dig (even if its just 1 and and bit levels down) to allow players to create a basement or a singled floor underground base, not only that it would allow people to create trenches to place spikes in or maybe some water? all this could add some interesting areas/builds, new creatures/foes and even new tools and items such as a shovel, bucket to carry water etc. im a sucker for base crafting lol. either way loving all the content and ideas so far! 

8 hours ago, Stitch7833 said:

Loving the game from what i have played, looks like yet another amazing title! Some things i would love to see added to the game would be more different zones so like a frozen/ice area from a dropped cooler/dryice box or a active waterfall feature/sprinklers to add an area constantly raining or creating a mist. also being able to dig (even if its just 1 and and bit levels down) to allow players to create a basement or a singled floor underground base, not only that it would allow people to create trenches to place spikes in or maybe some water? all this could add some interesting areas/builds, new creatures/foes and even new tools and items such as a shovel, bucket to carry water etc. im a sucker for base crafting lol. either way loving all the content and ideas so far! 

I second this 100% , one of my favorite parts of survival games is exploring the map and finding all sorts of biomes. Right now, there isnt much variation in the map aside from the pond and gas area.

• Like 3

On 6/17/2020 at 4:14 PM, Carl Hingston said:

How about climbing tools such as spiked gloves, boots and knee pads crafted from acorn shells &/or beetle carapace. Some type of line or thread attached to a needle or spike. Either swung and thrown by the player and also fired from a bow. The ability to climb the thread/line both upwards & abseiling downwards. Climbing could drain stamina so as to limit how much the player might exploit the environment. Being able to abseil down and dangle in an open space and potentially begin to shift your weight forwards and back in order to swing.

Or perhaps being able to set ziplines up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1