Just downloaded PoE and off the bat, the amount of fan based information on the net is overwhelming, amazing to say the least.

I want to go with the canned party for my first run and use a druid as my character (EQ main).

First, which of the characters would you recommend because of their party strength, interplay and storyline?

Second, which NPC's would you build to flesh out your party?

Third, does the game autolevel the non-player party members or is there a way to control the skills and spells that each party member receive?

Thank you in advance for your replies /R

You can turn on or off the auto level companions. So if you turn it off you can level them yourself and pick all their stuff. Something you could try since you are new is to periodically switch out companions so you get a taste of all of them. I generally do this to at least complete all their companion quest. You will eventually find a companion that represents all the classes. 

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

I would pick the companions in the order you find them. Usually that's Aloth, Edér, Durance, Kana and Sagani. I usually hire a rogue adventuerer for the lockpicking and traps/secrets until I have assembled a full party of companions.

You can (and should) deactivate auto-leveling of companions in the game options. Then you can level them up yourself - but lvl 1 is fixed. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods