[Mod Release] Binary Opposed Dispositions

I'm not sure about rational vs. clever, but the others make sense. This will make paladins much more enjoyable to play, not needing to avoid the bad dispositions like the plague.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

2 hours ago, omgFIREBALLS said:

I'm not sure about rational vs. clever, but the others make sense.

Yeah, I'm not entirely happy about them either... I considered (and am still considering) simply leaving the two alone, but would that just confuse things?

2 hours ago, omgFIREBALLS said:

This will make paladins much more enjoyable to play, not needing to avoid the bad dispositions like the plague.

Exactly, I hated how picking a single wrong option could cripple your build permanently.

• Like 1

Yeah no, leave it like that I think. I hope there's no priest/paladin order that favors both of them.

By the way, is it possible to go into negative disposition score? For example, Benevolent 3 // Cruel -3. That way, you can kick the occasional puppy without needing to build an orphanage right after, because you're a famed orphanage builder and your occasional puppy kicks are pre-emptively excused.

Ok, got a bit carried away, but the point is hopefully not needing to "save up opportunities at benevolence" before you commit your cruel act, if you want to avoid the cruel disposition.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS
  • Like 1

My Deadfire mods

2 minutes ago, omgFIREBALLS said:

By the way, is it possible to go into negative disposition score?

Good question. I checked the values with cheat engine and it does indeed go into negatives! You also get excess points after you hit 4, which is convenient too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, omgFIREBALLS said:

Yeah no, leave it like that I think. I hope there's no priest/paladin order that favors both of them.

Luckily no, I made sure that there'd be no "conflicts" beforehand 😁
I got curious though, in terms of mechanics...

+ Priests of Wael can counter Rational with Clever responses.
- Darcozzi and Priests of Magran have to pay attention to Rational responses.
- Goldpact, Steel Garrote, Berath and Woedica have to pay attention to Clever responses.

Basically, only Wael benefits from having them oppose eachother. It fits that the dry Rational-favoring subclasses would avoid Clever, but it feels wrong for Magran and Darcozzi to avoid Rational...

I'm pretty conflicted now. I'm leaning towards separating them in the main downloads and adding an optional patch that makes them oppose eachother again.

It occurred to me that while passionate <--> stoic makes the most sense for those two in particular, overall the system might be more satisfying with passionate <--> rational and clever <--> stoic.

• Hmmm 1

My Deadfire mods

1 hour ago, omgFIREBALLS said:

It occurred to me that while passionate <--> stoic makes the most sense for those two in particular, overall the system might be more satisfying with passionate <--> rational and clever <--> stoic.

I wholeheartedly agree that it would be better in the big picture (and I actually considered that myself for a while), but every subclass that favors Stoic also disfavors Passionate so I'd really like to keep that pair.

Another user commented about Rational vs. Clever on the mod page, so I feel like it would be for the best to make that pair optional.

• Like 1