The Good News Thread

Guard Dog

Let's face it friends... things kind of suck right now.  The world seems to be going to hell in a handbasket. But it's not all terrible. Every day people are doing good things. There are positive and uplifting stories in every news service. The great Hunter S. Thompson wrote " Good news is rare these days, and every glittering ounce of it should be cherished and hoarded and worshipped like a priceless diamond" 

So let's spread some GOOD news stories for a change!

Woman Gets 'Wrong Number' Photo Of Dog And Couldn't Be Happier

• Like 9

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Elephants break into a Chinese farm and get drunk on corn wine: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/coronavirus-elephants-break-farm-self-21719583

Dunno if it's good news or not... but drunken elephants is amusing

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

• Like 5

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Don't know if many of you have heard of the "Little Free Library" movement. It's a thing in the US, Canada & GB and maybe elsewhere. It's a small house shaped box people build and place in communities where people can take and leave books. Well, with everything going on people are putting groceries, TP, and other such in them:

ETa4djiWsAE0KE_?format=jpg&name=large

You know, most folks are pretty decent I think. If you give them a chance to be. 

More:

EUIdjogXkAQZD1R?format=jpg&name=medium

ETSveh-UUAEjE6l?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 4

Thomas Sowell

29 minutes ago, Skazz said:

^ This is absolutely amazing, even outside the context of the coronavirus.

I want something like this in Poland.

I like the idea behind it, but knowing that Swedes read something on the order of 90% crime novels I'd not want to take part of the exchange myself. >_<

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

https://www.gp.se/nyheter/göteborg/restaurangen-rycker-ut-för-att-hjälpa-sjukvården-1.25673616

https://www.gp.se/nyheter/göteborg/sahlgrenskas-personal-tackade-haider-1.26008062

Articles are in Swedish unfortunately, but the gist;

The owner of the restaurant Yalla Habibi in Gothenburg delivers free meals for ER and ambulance workers eat for free at his restaurant to help a bit during the crisis. Regular customers go there and pay double to help pay for ER peoples meals.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Skazz said:

^ This is absolutely amazing, even outside the context of the coronavirus.

I want something like this in Poland.

Start it! This concept was actually started by a kid IIRC. 

Correction: That was an urban legend. But it's still a nice story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Free_Library

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Family dog protects 3-year-old boy lost in Florida woods until he’s rescued

Earlier this afternoon the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office Telecommunications Center received a 911 call from a frantic mother whose 3-year-old son was playing outside with his siblings and wandered away. The mother told the Dispatcher that the family's dog, Buddy, was also missing, and presumed to be with the child.

Patrol Deputies and Investigators with the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office along with K9 units from Suwannee Correctional Institution responded to the residence and began searching for the lost child.

A short while later, a nearby neighbor called 911 and stated that he located a small child and dog in the woods, but the dog wouldn't let him get near the child.

Fortunately, we were able to reunite the child with his mother, thanks in part to "man's best friend" and an alert neighbor

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I've never been to Spain but I have to put it on my "to do" list. There have been a lot of stories like this coming from Spain:

Spanish Man Share a Drink With Isolated Neighbors By Filling Their Glasses From Two Floors Above

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Jon Bon Jovi's restaurant in New Jersey has been giving out free meals to people in quarantine. He has been working there personally helping out:

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

good news?

the picard season finale aired and so the shared nerd nightmare ends.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Student working in a drive thru gets some big news:

Thomas Sowell

Powell's City of Books in Oregon, one of the largest indy booksellers in the US closed it's doors and laid off it's workforce. Probably for good. But thanks to a local movement that is going viral (no pun intended) they are back in business due to a surge in online orders: https://www.newser.com/story/288863/bookstore-lays-off-hundreds-during-virus-then-does-a-180.html

If you want to jump on that bandwagon here is their website: https://www.powells.com/

I did. I ordered this just a few minutes ago:

9781608686605.jpg

Thomas Sowell