Some of these stealth event checks are too hard

Correct me if im worg.

Some of these stealth checks are too damn high. Currently level 19 and my highest stealther is 14 stealth and lowest is 3. The problem is when its a party wide check and my 3 guy cant pass a 10 check. Thats crazy.

If it aint party wide then it selects the lowest thats for sure. cause i sont get to select the guy who takes the check like i do in other event checks. 

Its unfair man. I only need one mechanic to unlock boxes. I only need one religion clown to pass religion checks cause i get to pick my highest guy and have him try. So whys stealth have to be different? 

If your group is trying to be stealthy and one of you makes noise, you fail, whereas if you need to know something, it's enough for one of you to know it. It's not unfair, it's entirely logical. Think about it for a moment.

Also, failing some of the checks is fine.

Edited by xzar_monty

It is unfair if Other skill checks dont have this set back. Not everyone needs to diffuse the bomb or identify the plant, so likewise not everyone needs to go sneak up on those ogres and spy on em.

Also someone can blunder it up and snap a twig screwing up the sneak operation. Likewise, someone with low alchemy sucks at alchemy and can accidentally tell you misinormation or blunder something up. The advantage here is the game only counts the positives in that someone with 1 alchemy might have helpful info for the phd to get him over the hump. The 1 alchemy guy can never be unhelpful.

But with stealth, appearently everyone has a seperate check they must clear to succeed. But stealth everyone has to the clear the check and one guy can screws it up. But with other skill checks everyone only helps and can never screws it up. 

Unfair for stealth

Also failing some skill check is fine but give us a fighting chance. How many people have all 6 party members at 10 or more stealth? Lol, exactly.

Edited by asnjas

It's not unfair. If one of you makes noise, you're all screwed. Your analogies don't work: if someone sucks at alchemy and gives you poor information, that's irrelevant, because the expert in the group can tell you how things really are, and the novice can be ignored.

It's precisely the same logic as with the "straight and narrow" path in Baldur's Gate 2, in the Hell trials: it makes no difference if all the other choices you make are good, you only have to make one evil choice and you're evil. This is also entirely logical. If someone you know is ok in ten different scenarios and only betrays you once, do you regard him as trustworthy or untrustworthy?

The skills are not the same. They are not comparable in the sense you describe.

2 hours ago, asnjas said:

But with other skill checks everyone only helps and can never screws it up. 

I'm pretty sure there are group-wide athletics checks that work the same. And I agree with xzar_monty; these mechanics make sense. It's not a "choose your champion" scenario, it's "everyone gotta do this".

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

You paint the perfect picture for your side to make it seem better. If the expert already knows then of course he dismisses the novice and didnt need his help in the first place. What about when the expert doesnt know? Its scenarios like this that the game is trying to simulate by allowing helping in the first place. 

When the expert doesnt know, the novice chips in. When the novice chips in for certain skills, its only counted positively. 

You might as well say what if the novice stealther wants to go left but the expert dismisses his advice and tells the group right. This also is what the game is getting at when it allows companions to help by lending skill points to each others stealth skill. 

I feel the skill check is too high anyways. Again, whos going to have all 5 members with 10+ stealth? Do you guys even have all 5 members with 10+ points in any skill?? No right. 

And makes sense only goes so far in a magical game with faries and dragons. Im surprised people still evoke this with video games. How far you wanna take this makes sense and shrug it off? Ammo for range weapons? 🤣👌

6 hours ago, asnjas said:

I feel the skill check is too high anyways. Again, whos going to have all 5 members with 10+ stealth? Do you guys even have all 5 members with 10+ points in any skill?? No right. 

Can't swear on it, but I think it's party assisted. That would mean it's enough if everyone has 4 points. Each would have 4 themselves, and the others would have 16 combined, which is worth +6 through Party Assist.

Unless you metagame heavily and/or play No Rest with constant Luminous Adra Potion buffs, you're not going to pass nearly every skill check anyway. You don't have to think of this stealth check as something you're supposed to pass. You can think of it as, here's an opportunity for a stealth oriented party to shine.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!