What Are You Playing Now: The Other, Other Thread

Amentep

Playing 'Control', it's just...wow.  Gameplay is great and there is some weapon/character customization and upgrading, but it's fairly shallow.

If you're looking for a complex RPG you won't like it but it's greatest flaw doesn't outweigh it's greatest virtues.

My biggest gripe is actually the fact that it's a massive system hog.  I have to turn Ray Tracing off and set it to low settings to hit my 165 fps sweet spot.  Should be able to bump it up to "Medium" with the next Gen hardware though, whenever that comes out (probably next year thanks to COVID).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Playing 'Control', it's just...wow.  Gameplay is great and there is some weapon/character customization and upgrading, but it's fairly shallow.

If you're looking for a complex RPG you won't like it but it's greatest flaw doesn't outweigh it's greatest virtues.

Yes, have been hearing good things about it. I really like Max Paynes but after that they seemed not to be able to be able to find their footing. Played through Alan Wake recently, and I must say, I wasn't a fan.

I don't think anyone will jump into Remedy's third person action game wanting an RPG :-). 

44 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

I don't think anyone will jump into Remedy's third person action game wanting an RPG :-). 

I'm having a hard time differentiating between RPG elitists and "Gamers" these days so forgive me if I disrupted a broad stroke I was unintentionally aware of.

• Haha 1

Haven (Demo). It seems to be a nice action-adventure (the RPG tag on the store page is incorrect), with optional co-op (unavailable in the demo). There are good graphics, soundtrack and VA, rather simple combat and crafting. Dialogues don't seem to affect anything and it was somehow odd to be able to choose (very limited) replies for both protagonists. I did not quite understand the combat, but I did beat the boss at the end of demo. After the finishing attack ("Pacify"), the boss stopped glowing red and became an (non-interactive) NPC. I suppose, this relatively non-violent outcome fits the game well.

Avadon: The Black Fortress. I have not played the previous games from this developer, so I can't compare, but Avadon seems alright so far (the graphics and interactivity could be better, of course). I think I am getting close to the end-game - the party reached level 28 (the level cap is 30), all regions were visited several times, one companion quest left.

Heaven's Vault. I played a ton of this over the weekend, ultimately completing it. It deserves awards. It's an incredible adventure about language, history, waterways in a nebula. Seems there's some choice and consequence stuff because I hear people talking about events I never got because I played cautiously with stuff.

I also tried The Bureau: X-Com Declassified. I played through the first level and decided it was completely uninspired and boring. Then promptly uninstalled. Not a single interesting story beat or mechanic is introduced.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Still Life 2 is....not very good.  Not very impressed with some technical issues such as wanton clipping and also hearing voice of the other protagonist, Paloma,  when I am controlling Victoria.  Not to mention Paloma's actress must have been free with her performance.   Strange decision to make the player play inventory tetris in an adventure game of all things - I can pick up a mattress and put it in my pockets but a mattress and antenna is just silly ?

Glad I got this one for free. 

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I recently tried going through the Still Life games. Post-Mortem, the very first one, is intolerable.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

3 minutes ago, Tale said:

I recently tried going through the Still Life games. Post-Mortem, the very first one, is intolerable.

Had not looked that up, for some reason I thought it did not have an English version, maybe will give that a look as all I seem to do now is play games that make me angry at their existence.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Half-Life Alyx unlocks in less than an hour!

edit: this game is cool, next evolution for Half Life and VR! Environments are like real in terms of physics interactions
Currently playing on my oculus quest with pc link cable. I also have a pimax 8k /w index controllers, but that’s currently at work and needs disinfecting

Also playing Doom Eternal. Feels good to be playing Half-Life and Doom again!

Edited by Bokishi
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bokishi said:

Half-Life Alyx unlocks in less than an hour!

edit: this game is cool, next evolution for Half Life and VR! Environments are like real in terms of physics interactions
Currently playing on my oculus quest with pc link cable. I also have a pimax 8k /w index controllers, but that’s currently at work and needs disinfecting

Also playing Doom Eternal. Feels good to be playing Half-Life and Doom again!

Ludicrous resolution screenies when?

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I will probably never buy a VR or Half Life: Alyx but curiosity has gotten the better of me.  Need some gameplay footage and further analysis!

Am playing the RE: 3 demo.  You are truly an RE master if you can beat the demo in under 3 minutes.

Edited by ComradeMaster

^ I've been "bored" enough of regular gaming where VR is starting to tempt me, just for something different. Although I'd be more interested in immersive walking sims or environment emulators vs. VR shooters or whatnot.  I'd like to get lost in a VR rainforest or something, can you do that. But I doubt I'll actually do it ... since knowing me I'd want the most ludicrously expensive VR gear setup, then I'd try a few games, complain no one makes the type of VR I want, and never touch it again.   :p

====================================

I reached Episode/chapt. 10 of Death Stranding.  If what you end up liking most about the game is the open world/exploration and delivery route/speed challenges etc., which could take 40-100+ hours, after the very end of Episode 8 that all largely goes out the window (until you reach post-game for finish-up).  I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting in these latter chapters/events - a lot of nightmare imagery and mind-you-know-whats. I've heard the last few hours is mostly movie cutscenes/endless endings and it's hard to get excited about it combined with a few clunky, almost hilarious combat moments, paired with super-serious exposition.  Way too much talking-heads.  I could just youtube it.

One of those games where I could play the first half to 2/3 of it two or three more times over a few years but I'd likely always skip finishing it. Worth the $35ish I paid for and absolutely a beautiful, interesting game for the most part but ... anyway, the PC version's announced photo-mode would be tempting, but I'll wait for it to be $35 on Steam too.  😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've reached chapter 7 in Valkyria Chronicles 4. This is the all hope seems lost portion of the story. I'm pretty impressed with the mission variety so far. Unit composition can make all the difference in a mission, so it's not always optimal to stack my squad with scouts and snipers, which is my innate tendency. I'll also give the game a thumbs up for not cheating so far. The enemy units, including special units, seem to play by all the same rules I have to play by. Few things irritate me more than a game having a different set of rules for the player than for the AI enemies, so it's a relief that doesn't seem to be the case here.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Designers of Still Life 2 thought CSI was a great show, I guess. So much tedious evidence collecting.  **** this game is dragging.

Pushed on to Episode 11, which I think is the last "combat" section and the rest is wrapup/cutscenes.  I get the feeling the dev wanted to make a movie, not a game.  The plot might've made a better movie, actually, where you don't have hours of open world sandbox interfering.  Some of the non-open world Episodes are very short, btw. A single 15-30min. objective and once done episode done etc.

The game did make me interested in Mads Mikkelsen's other work (films), since imo his is the best character arc in the game. They could have eliminated the other guy and I wouldn't have missed him.  Couldn't get into Bionic Women's chr or Norman's too much - supposed to have this big sibling bond of some sort but I didn't feel it. In movie terms you'd say they had no chemistry.

There is at least one minor side-character in the story where apparently not making enough of his "requested" deliveries before a certain point/endgame has a consequence, that was interesting/unexpected. Maybe there are others.

There's tons of busy-work I didn't finish (all Premium cargo runs, best ranks system, hidden history-item hunting, more) but I think over 200 hours is enough on this one for a while.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think the "director" of that game said he next wanted to make a movie, so uh, yeah. Of course, his "directing style" (for his games at least) has been just awkward Japanesey overacting and melodrama that will make for an equally ridiculous movie. But I guess some people like that.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I think the "director" of that game said he next wanted to make a movie, so uh, yeah. Of course, his "directing style" (for his games at least) has been just awkward Japanesey overacting and melodrama that will make for an equally ridiculous movie. But I guess some people like that.

Don't get me wrong, I loved most of the game/play overall. Just story is weird and and there being literally a film trilogy worth of cutscenes and even more in exposition/lore (all of which was on a Nolan's Batman type of drama over-seriousness) is a bit much. It wore me out/just made me want it to be over.

If the dev/director makes a movie I'd be pretty curious about it. Can't say if I'd like a movie by him, but I'd be curious.

Finished the Star Control: Originis DLCs "Earth Rising".

Enjoyed the base game.

Earth Rising was garbage. Feels as if every now and then people were pulled off other projects to return to it and quickly throw out some content to keep the Season Pass promise.

Stardock is now in my "don't trust" list (I don't have a list, but Stardock would be on it if I did).

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Played and finished Doom Eternal, fun times. There's a bunch of changes compared to the 2016 game, like the platforming, smaller ammo pools and free-ish chainsaw to change up the gunplay. I found secrets easier to find thanks to better map design and a fast travel system unlocked near the end of each mission.
On a slightly souring note, marauders can eat sh-awarma. The final boss was a pain too, but that's what I get for playing on Ultra-violence.
There's a post-credts scene, so if you play it, don't skip the credits. Or watch it on youtube I guess.

Too stressed with the crap happening outta there to really dive in any of the games I have, but been trying to unwind playing on and off Magic the Gathering: Arena. 

Man..I really hate Blue and white and Green players . 

Although, I admit. One new trend (even though I havent been around long enough, very noobish here) but is with some Black player? You use the card ''Look at the player hand and discard a card'' and they act like..thats it..game over! Give up the play and they still have HEALTH! What the....XD 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

After few days of break, I have again ventured into the world of Eora in Pillars of Eternity. I have finished the Iron Flail Fort and even though there was big slaughter, while getting to the leader of the camp, I was able to call for a truce, and we were able to finish the misunderstanding in a peaceful manner. Now I am back into the Durgan's Battery to prepare the cannons, for something, which might or might not come 😛 I let myself be surprised 😛

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Still Life 2 disposed of.  What a uninteresting experience that was, the plot gets ridiculous as the supposed killer keeps dying and then...a twist!

Still feeling like playing more adventure games, will give The Next Big Thing a go, I like Runaway so maybe this one won't be total garbage - is only $3 anyway.

My list of things I do not like about PoE:

1. Loading a game:

Save Games are not organised based on how recent they are. They are organised by Autosave, then Quicksave, then Manual save. Extremely counter-intuitive when you hit load game and normally would click the top of the list. Not in PoE, you have to scroll and find the save you are looking for.

Minor added gripe: while there is a Quicksave key (F5) there is no Quickload which other games with Quicksave so very often have (F9)

2. Saving a game:

When manually saving the game, Autosaves and Quicksaves are in the list and can be overwritten. Why?

3. Endurance/Health dual HP system:

I do not feel it adds anything to the game other than weakening healer roles and forcing more frequent rests in an effort to force a feel of pressure through a limited camping supply system (which aren't that rare, and even if, you can always leave, rest at Caed Nuad and return fully rested).

4. Engagement / Disengaging:

Is a terribly designed system as it only exists to hamstring the player, since so many enemies have been given ways around it with either free disengage or just blinking/teleporting onto Aloth. It gives the impression that a system was created, only for the AI people to realise they couldn't get the AI to understand it and thus the enemies were given ways to avoid it.

5. Prone/Stun/etc spam:

I start combat from stealth, and half my team will still end up prone before they land the first attack. Somehow even as the attack animation happens, the enemies get to target and start with a free attack. Which usually will be a stun or paralyze or whatever. While all these abilities can be interesting, their overuse isn't. Fights end up as a "Who paralyzes or dominates or whatever first".

6. Bloat:

As already partially mentioned in the previous point: there are so many ways of doing the same thing: I can stun, daze, paralyze. I can slow, hobble... the list of status effects is huge. And a lot of them could be merged into half the number. Then though stats and skills would need to do less, and those too are bloated with things they affect. Which they could without making the game any less interesting. Same goes for spells and similar abilities. At 88 hours I still can't remember what all of Durance's spells do. Not that I care to, since the guy is annoying. The game had to become a DnD/Pathfinder clone and therefor needed loads of classes and every class needed to be unique and rich in options - but as one of my professors loved to ask every lecture: Who cares?

It pains me to use the line as it gets thrown around way too much in school of architecture, and I have developed an allergy to it, but "Less is more".

Maybe this should have gone in the unpopular opinion discussion. But this opinion has nothing to do with Mad Max movies, so it may have been out of place there.

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).