Favorite Obsidian game (with a caveat)

sorophx

Favorite Obsidian game (with a caveat)  

29 members have voted

1. 1. If all Obsidian games were to vanish -- and you could pick one that would be saved -- which one would you pick?

• SW KOTOR II: The Sith Lords
    • NWN 2
    • NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer
    • NWN 2: Storm of Zehir
    • Alpha Protocol
    • FO: New Vegas
    • Dungeon Siege III
    • SP: The Stick of Truth
    • PoE
    • Tyranny
    • PoE II: Deadfire
    • The Outer Worlds

6 hours ago, melkathi said:

Did they though make a Fallout game? Or did Bethesda make the game and Obsidian added a story?

Does that apply to Kotor and Dungeon Siege as well?

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Didn't DS3 use it's own engine instead of the DS1/2 one? FONV and KOTOR2 both used the respective previous games' engines and stuff if I am not mistaken. Obsidian created new content, but the game's inards effectively were the same with those two.

NWN2 on the other hand was a completely different game to NWN as far as I remember.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

game engines don't make games. rather, the engine you choose will determine what you can't do. everything else is more or less the same across engines. the bulk of the work is building a game on top of the tech.

and I think NWN 2 used the same tech as NWN (and it was also used for both KOTORs).

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Okay, so despite the "it's PS:T in Star Wars" treatment, I still think thay KotOR 2 managed to be at least slightly novel in the context of the franchise it was based on.

I mean, as far as I know, the whole

Spoiler

kill the Force to make the galaxy a better place

angle hadn't been done before, right?

Or am I embarrassing myself again here?

Edited by Skazz
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Skazz said:
  Hide contents

kill the Force to make the galaxy a better place

angle wasn't done before, right?

KOTOR 2 was pretty obviously inspired by certain aspects of the then current SW Expanded Universe, which included a prominent Kreia like figure (Vergere) and a species of force independent inter galactic invaders (Yuuzhan Vong). So killing the force had not (so far as I am aware) been explicitly dealt with, but it was a fairly small step to get there from where they were.

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

KOTOR 2 was pretty obviously inspired by certain aspects of the then current SW Expanded Universe, which included a prominent Kreia like figure (Vergere) and a species of force independent inter galactic invaders (Yuuzhan Vong). So killing the force had not (so far as I am aware) been explicitly dealt with, but it was a fairly small step to get there from where they were.

I have a passing familiarity with the Yuuzhan Vong, but I did not know about Vergere. I've always been under the impression that Kreia was created to be the mouthpiece of Chris Avellone more than anything else. If I remember correctly, he admitted that he was a complete Star Wars outsider and held no particular attachment to the franchise, thus Kreia's opinions. I did not know that she was inspired by another EU character.

I guess it's time for me to wikiwalk a bit. Thanks.

Edited by Skazz

36 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

NWN2 had a new renderer, underlying stuff was from NWN1's Aurora though. And of course The Witcher (1) used Aurora as well.

Ta.

I don't know all the techie stuff. I just see when I notice that things seem obviously the same (FO3, FONV) and when things look differently enough.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

13 hours ago, Skazz said:

I have a passing familiarity with the Yuuzhan Vong, but I did not know about Vergere. I've always been under the impression that Kreia was created to be the mouthpiece of Chris Avellone more than anything else. If I remember correctly, he admitted that he was a complete Star Wars outsider and held no particular attachment to the franchise, thus Kreia's opinions. I did not know that she was inspired by another EU character.

I guess it's time for me to wikiwalk a bit. Thanks.

Kreia voices a lot of opinions and challenges that seemingly stem from the NJO series as a whole, not just Vergere, like Mara Jade insisting that Anakin Solo builds their camp without the help of the force because having other skills is important for a Jedi too and overreliance on the force is a bad thing, the idea that the force might have a guiding influence also (IIRC) came up first in NJO, and of course you have Vergere who has a hand in cutting Jacen Solo off from the force.

Unless I'm mistaken MCA said he read a lot of the Star Wars novels in preparation for writing for The Sith Lords. It kind of shows.

But it also seems to work both ways. Vergere turning out to having been a Sith Lord attempting to convert Jacen (successfully so, actually, since he became Darth Caedus later) seems to have been inspired by Kreia being one - sort of.

NJO also was noticably darker than most of the Star Wars EU. Much, much darker. Eventually the Yuuzhan Vong end up crashing refugee ships with millions of people on them into Coruscant's plantary shield to overload it. That novel came out shortly before 9/11. Talk about timing.

Edited by majestic
Apathy is death!
  • Thanks 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.