Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

13 hours ago, Amentep said:

I think a lot of people are experiencing similar issues.  I know a lot of people at work, for example, had dual monitor setups but don't have that at home.

I can understand the frustration. It was the opposite for my girlfriend and myself. We've had multi-monitor setups for years at home and only had dual monitor setups in the office for about 5 years in our current jobs. For us, it was a breeze to set up a work laptop to act as a CPU and hook up keyboard, mouse and dual monitors to simulate a work PC without having to take desktop computers and monitors from the office.

I'm really loving working from home. Being able to wear shorts and a t-shirt while working and taking breaks whenever we want without someone looking on. Also, we can finish our work within a few hours and do other personal stuff instead of having to sit in an office for a full day where sometimes there may be a lull in the work and twiddling your thumbs, waiting to go home.

• Like 2

So, apparently we are not getting sick fast enough and it's being discussed if we should be considering switching to the Swedish model. At this rate it would take years to be done with it. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/denmark/

I'm not volunteering, I've got a list though. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:16 AM, Amentep said:

I think a lot of people are experiencing similar issues.  I know a lot of people at work, for example, had dual monitor setups but don't have that at home.

That's one reason we've authorized people to take home their equipment, so they have as seamless of a transition as possible since we're going to be working remote for at least two more month and, realistically, it might be through the end of the year.

• Like 2

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The battle of "religious freedoms"...

TheGuardian - The US churches and pastors ignoring stay at home orders, and the States granting exemptions

I saw an interview with a nice old lady who had just attended mass saying with a raised voice to an interviewer that she wasn't going to get the virus because "I'm covered in Jesus Blood!"

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have to admit, I'm juggling between marking this as Covid news, and the funny things thread...

91543550_1140255552987982_35896189388303

• Haha 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

crozier hasn't necessarily lost confidence o' the navy. crozier command weren't removed by navy but by acting secretary of the navy.  legal authority o' modly is suspect, period. an acting secretary o' the navy has no more legal authority to relieve command than does jared kushner.

[...]

am dubious 'bout the contention the navy has lost confidence in crozier. am suspecting the admiralty is looking at situation very different from modly, esper and trump... and gd. we give our command officers a great deal o' individual responsibility. we expect captains o' aircraft carriers to make independent decisions. on its face, this looks as if captain crozier made the right call when faced with the intransigence o' the chain o' command.

Fair. I have no idea what the actual powers of an (acting) Secretary of the Navy are. If the removal is unlawful, one would imagine that a lawsuit would immediately ensue. I hope that will be the case. 

And while I'm sure the men under his command reckon that he did right by them, if it turns out that he did really go around the chain of command, I have very little doubt that he will have lost the confidence of the Navy -and not just that of the administration du jour- if only because the leak can make it look so those higher up were aware of the problem and chose to do nothing out of incompetence or callousness, while he looks like he sacrificed his career to save the day. This is a separate matter from concerns about political micromanagement of the military.

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

am suspecting years from now, if crozier hadn't written his march 28 email, we would have books and movies vilifying crozier for his gross negligence. failure o' the roosevelt captain's leadership woulda' been arguable the most catastrophic avoidable event in navy history outside a time o' war. 

Doubtful. As I posted in the other thread, the infection fatality ratio for SARS-CoV-2 is currently estimated at .66%. So with a complement of 5,700, you're looking at roughly 38 deaths, assuming a 100% infection scenario, which is unrealistic in and of itself. And that .66% is the gross figure, but it's known that there's a heavy age bias. How many sailors or airmen are aged 70+? A scenario that may help put into perspective how the disease would progress on a ship is the Diamond Princess, where 712 out of roughly 3,700 embarked caught it, and 12 died. Again, that's on a cruise ship with many more seniors on board than a warship.

Then compare to Scorpion or Hobson.

That being said, I agree with Crozier that no sailors needed to die in this situation. 40 servicemen losing their lives just so Trump can save face is unacceptable. But let's keep our shirts on.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

you don't have private rooms on an aircraft carrier. is literal no way to stay six feet apart in racks. whatever else it may be, and regardless o' marine ribbing 'bout their navy brethren, aircraft carriers is not cruise ships. the crew o' a cruise ship is a minority o' total number o' people on ship. virtual all you got on the aircraft carrier is crew and most is sharing living spaces which is at best, cramped and complete wrong for limiting a disease as easily transmissible as covid-19.

am suspecting +90% infection on a naval warship is actual very likely. again, recognizing how would be functional impossible to quarantine when you already had +100 confirmed infections, double every 2 days and see where numbers take you. the numbers were doubling less than two days from march 24. notion the crew were gonna sudden get a handle on the covid-19 situation is improbable. 

also, surge is multiplying death rate o' covid-19. you think there is a shortage o' supplies and ventilators in ny, italian and spanish hospitals? once you hit thousands o' infections aboard the roosevelt, there woulda' been cataclysmic surge issues. aircraft carriers is having robust medical infrastructure nevertheless complete inappropriate for handling a widespread respiratory infection which has a considerable % o' infected require medical attention to recover.  

am thinking #s is much underestimating severity o' situation and a cruise ship comparison is complete misguided. make analogy just because both is ships? 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

14 minutes ago, 213374U said:

So... you have a hunch it'd be worse?

Ok.

not a hunch. maths. do the maths. 

if is doubling from march 24 to april 4 every 2 days when captain crozier and crew were no doubt taking steps to slow the spread and racks don't make social distancing possible, then there is an inevitability 'bout spread 'cause o' the maths and is needing be willful obtuse not to foresee problems... 'cause is not a cruise ship.

ok.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Not maths, but "maths". You are going off a simplistic assumption where the susceptible fraction never decreases and so the doubling rate remains constant forever until 100% infection is reached. It just doesn't work like that. Just like "the surge multiplying death rate" doesn't work like that either, because you are not looking at a general population sample, mechanical ventilation isn't a requirement in the overwhelming majority of cases, as much as 50% of infections may be asymptomatic, and rate of positive tests is not the same as rate of infection.

"Maths".

A hunch tells you it'd be literally the worst ever.

Ok.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

maths tell us what the doubling rate in populations so far has been. given realities the roosevelt is nothing whatsoever like a cruise ship, is absence o' reason to doubt continued doubling at the current rate for at least immediate foreseeable future. constant forever? dunno, but only needs be constant 'til hits 4300 or so, which were only requiring 'bout same number o' doublings which had already taken place. extreme short period o' time.

slowing rate is what woulda' required hunches.

look, you made a terrible analogy to cruise ships. no reason not to own it and move forward. 

~2:30 is where the nice lady gives you a tour of racks on an aircraft carrier.

social distancing is the only effective countermeasure at this point in time, so...

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
ps added vid

What about his illegitimate half brother, Fanfiction

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

28 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Can we just never say maths?

am willing to agree. can we add proactive to the list? not a demand, but a request. however, am gonna need put our foot down on "sammich." laugh if you will, but we died a bit the day sammich were added to the oed.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 3