Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Gorthfuscious we need to discuss  this view in detail, I really have time since the lock-down to engage in these types of debates some would call frivolous but I find interesting as I learn what motivates different people and how they see the world 

Are you prepared to answer some questions around this view you have ....I love injurai choice of words " myopic apathy ".....classic statement :thumbsup:

Being forced to work from home didn't exactly give me more spare time, but ask away, even if replies might not be instantaneous

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

13 hours ago, algroth said:

If there was ever need of more proof to how massively the government blundered this whole thing, imagine trying to instigate another war with the Middle East in the middle of a pandemic and economic collapse.

Hmm, let's see what the Donald Trump of 8 years ago has to say about US Presidents attacking Iran...

cjZzOsV.png

836a1bt.png

qraDBkK.png

Truly, a prophet of our times.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't call myself a misanthrope but I'd probably be closer to Gorth's sentiments than not, and I've been like that for decades. I've always said I like, admire and care for individuals, but am not a huge fan of humans as a species nor hopeful regarding human species longevity. eg I expect us to fall by the wayside far, far sooner than some other past earthly populations/species. But it doesn't mean I actively wish "bad" on humanity. I simply don't see humans as more deserving/worthy over anything else, is all. I think about the honey bees dying off, and other such things, just as much, if not a tad more, than this pandemic, if that makes any sense.

=================

My original reason I was going to post in this thread: Chris Mann did a not-funny video with a thank-you-workers theme.  I don't think it's the best thing ever but I read a lot of the comments/stories under the video, many from those "essential" workers, who were glad/grateful for his expression, and *those* are what touched me.  Individuals, and the smaller but meaningful social impacts between them.  Those are the bits that occasionally give me hope that we - as a species not just the current era of "civilization" - might at least last yet a while longer.  Minus a giant asteroid impact.  :shifty:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Being forced to work from home didn't exactly give me more spare time, but ask away, even if replies might not be instantaneous

Im also working from home but Im only doing about 4-6 hours per day due to certain logistical constraints and resources 

I'll post the questions later as Im busy at the moment and we can respond to each other when there is time 😎

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We are not even paying lip service to "working from home" except on Tuesday. So 4 1/2 days pay for 1/2 day of work. Sort of like a regular week only I'm home.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think a lot of people are experiencing similar issues.  I know a lot of people at work, for example, had dual monitor setups but don't have that at home.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Breaking news:

BORG CANCEL INVASION! : sciencefiction

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I work harder because I'm an "essential service" and my boss is a ****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think I mentioned it way back when but because I often work from home I find that I tend to work more when I WFH because that normal work/life boundary disappears. When you work from home then you live at work.

Edited by ShadySands
Dropping words like bombs
  • Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

17 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I think I mentioned it way back when but because I often work from home I find that I tend to work more when I WFH because that normal work/life boundary disappears. When you work from then you live at work.

Exactly, I wholeheartedly agree. That's precisely why I avoid working from home if I can.

• Thanks 1

Another reason to dislike the gov't. Trying to talk to them is  worse than talking to anyone. All week, I've been trying to get to talk to them about my EI. I have yet to manage to even talk to a live person and keep getting kicked out of the phone call. LMAO

If a business did this they would be out of business. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

WFH means I can sleep in, although I think getting up at 0930 each day is probably too late.  Funnily, I'm the second person in the office each day, heh.  I do work until 1900 or so though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Amentep said:

I think a lot of people are experiencing similar issues.  I know a lot of people at work, for example, had dual monitor setups but don't have that at home.

Thats actually one of my nits to pick. My head keeps swiveling right to the non-existent second monitor, and its a pita to juggle all the documents I may have open. Im getting paid though so I cant really qq. :lol:

• Like 2

am finding the work-from-home dynamic to be a seamless transition.  our boss is just as much a jerk today as he were yesterday-- something 'bout his 2-week trip to the southwest to view wildflower blooms being cancelled admitted has his shorts in a twist, but is always something, right? our productivity is unaffected and is zero chance o' being furloughed.

Gov. Kemp's comments on asymptomatic spread of coronavirus stir scrutiny

"I'm following the advice of (Georgia Department of Public Health Commissioner) Dr. Toomey, and her and I both mentioned in our remarks, finding out that this virus is now transmitting before people see signs so - what we've been telling people from directives from the CDC for weeks now, that if you start feeling bad stay home, those individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad," he said. "Well we didn't know that until the last 24 hours, and as Dr. Toomey told me, she goes, 'This is a game-changer for us.'"

well, ok then.

some fun new commercials getting significant air time, even in non battleground states such as CA. 

have seen the first one multiple times in the last couple days and the only thing we watch on tv is a bit o' news-- pbs with small doses o' fox and cnn just to see what the continuum looks like. 

converse, we didn't see the mypillow commercial filmed live from the rose garden as have surrendered insofar as trying to watch daily task force briefings.

HA! Good Fun!

ps

haven't seen the virus in the woods commercial. kinda a 2020 knockoff o' the reagan commercial?

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

double but unrelated to previous.

anybody else wondering if the models for flattening the curve is considering the quick approaching hurricane season? is gonna be significant portions o' the south where mass evacuations to tight-packed shelters is gonna be needed starting 'round late may or early june. somebody better start planning ahead for hurricane season with a recognition o' covid-19 changing normal response to what is tragic but predictable.

HA! Good Fun!

• Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My god your federal structure is not up for this. Every state thinks they know what's best for them, and at the same time there are no travel restrictions. They are not enforced rather. 

This should be above politicking, and it's not. The political divide is creating mistrust as well. If only you had a leader capable of bringing people together.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

47 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

The political divide is creating mistrust as well. If only you had a leader capable of bringing people together.

this is the actual problem. typically, when calamity strikes, the nation looks to the President and the fed to take the lead. europeans, in particular, is dismissive o' widespread displays o' american patriotism, but is such shared sense o' community which results in americans inexplicable overcoming the practical issues related to decentralization and intentional systemic inefficiency. we usual get a slow start and then US ingenuity and community kicks in surprising quick.

unfortunate, we don't have leadership. what we are getting is salesmanship. sell folks what they wanna buy. folks want everything to be ok and they want covid-19 to be under control. trump is selling americans what they want, which is good business, but is getting tougher and tougher to gaslight when death totals and images from overwhelmed hospitals become fixtures in daily news stories. we had months o' warning. were not a, "nobody knew" situation before hospitals started to become overwhelmed. when crisis became obvious, this President, instead o' leading, were focused on selling.

US problem is different this time 'cause o' lack o' leadership. the near reflexive rally-to-the-flag response o' Americans were a small and weak compared to previous national crises. too much division and distrust. this time all we got as a guide is fear, disorganization and distrust. we also have dr. fauci, so is not a complete loss, but he is informing as 'posed to leading.

'course rally-to-the-flag is also dangerous. unfortunate, if situation gets bad enough, fear results in same abandonment o' reason w/o any o' the benefits which woulda' come from better organization.  

is a uniquely fubar situation for Americans.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jared will save the US.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why Trump took another coronavirus test

y'know, this is the one issue on which we agree with trump. everytime the President comes in contact with a diplomat or reporter who is covid-19 positive, wh officials scramble to deal with queries 'bout when the President will be tested. why is trump so indifferent to getting tested? 'cause he is paying attention. along with perhaps bats or some other critter, covid-19 is a human specific virus.

HA! Good Fun!

• Gasp! 1